AK (& G3) frames vs AR frames...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

AK (& G3) frames vs AR frames...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When run over by a tank...

You cannot bend the AR back into shape.. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: AK (& G3) frames vs AR frames...

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Good luck bending the AK back into shape, and a G3 would be a loss unless you had some pretty good tooling.

It's better to pick up the rifle you leaned against the track before you move the tank. Of course if the rifle was in my hand at the time, it is the least of my worries! :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

It's just a fun bit from the link I gave where "Boris" builds an AK from a parts kit and an old rusty flat shovel...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

You would be amazed at the AKs some of these old guys in Pakistan build from a junk truck with a couple files and a hammer in the mud hut behind their, well, mud huts.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

If your gun's been run over by a tank, you probably don't need it anymore.
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

7.62 Precision wrote:You would be amazed at the AKs some of these old guys in Pakistan build from a junk truck with a couple files and a hammer in the mud hut behind their, well, mud huts.
There's a great vid about the Khyber gunsmiths out there. Not only AKs, but clones of about any gun you can imagine... except the AR & its cast aluminium parts...

I remember another film from the early 80s where I FIRST saw some cave dwellers making AKs from sheet metal and re-bar...

"These guys live in caves, have no tongues, make guns with their bare hands... and have for decades/centuries"...

If only Americans were as practical...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:You would be amazed at the AKs some of these old guys in Pakistan build from a junk truck with a couple files and a hammer in the mud hut behind their, well, mud huts.
There's a great vid about the Khyber gunsmiths out there. Not only AKs, but clones of about any gun you can imagine... except the AR & its cast aluminium parts...

I remember another film from the early 80s where I FIRST saw some cave dwellers making AKs from sheet metal and re-bar...

"These guys live in caves, have no tongues, make guns with their bare hands... and have for decades/centuries"...

If only Americans were as practical...
Yep, and probably have some warlord with a Russkie AK pointed at their head if production slips... No thanks. Slappin' lipstick on a pig doesn't change it's habits, odor or what it does... Doesn't change the fact that every time I hear one, I do a little turtle move... drop my head down between the shoulder blades... and seein' 'em makes me just a little suspicious of any fellar's allegiances. Same with the SKSs. Havin' spend a few formative years where the guys wantin' you to die for your (actually some other fellar's) country... used 'em pretty regular like, can sour you pretty quickly.

Okay, so it's unreasonable... I don't care. Other'n knowing how to disable one, if found; or how to recognize the sound of one, so I know where my next most likely target is... I don't care to discuss 'em.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's an understandable sentiment Griff, but you can't deny the fundamental utility of a firearm that can be manufactured by a caveman.

Still, if the AK isn't your cup of tea, there are many others tat can fill the role:

http://www.thehomegunsmith.com/

Then there are HK G3/MP5 flats and jigs that are only slightly more difficult to obtain/build than AK jigs...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!