M71 wood

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

M71 wood

Post by Old Shatterhand »

The stock of my M71 does suffer from the tinkering of a varnishophobic previous owner. He has carefully sandpapered all varnish and a lot of the wood away. There is also a crack in the rear stock close to the action.

I am seriuosly considering to restock it - the gun is no safe queen or collctor's item, but a tool that has been roughly used with ding and scratches. What are your opinions about the wood from Numrich? Or do you suggest some other seller?

Regards,
Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: M71 wood

Post by gamekeeper »

I have bought a couple of stocks from Numrich and they were better than I expected for the price.
The only problem I had with the last stock was that they would only ship it to a registered firearms dealer.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Precision Gun Stocks sold me a very very nicely done stock for my Marlin 95. If they have a 71 stock of similar quality, I think you would be very happy. The only "fault" I have with them is that they machine the outer dimensions of the stock so close to the original that there is very little extra wood left for creatively modifying it to anything but original condition. But it is hard to fault them for that. Extremely good prices too.

Yep, they have the buttstocks but it looks like they are out of the forearms.
http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d29.html
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BrentD wrote:Precision Gun Stocks sold me a very very nicely done stock for my Marlin 95. If they have a 71 stock of similar quality, I think you would be very happy. The only "fault" I have with them is that they machine the outer dimensions of the stock so close to the original that there is very little extra wood left for creatively modifying it to anything but original condition. But it is hard to fault them for that. Extremely good prices too.

Yep, they have the buttstocks but it looks like they are out of the forearms.
http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d29.html
+1.

What Numrich sells are either take-offs of guns being parted out, or NOS. I like Precision, except for the fact that they don't do any fancy wood, nor will they cut your blank. But, they do have good straight grained walnut.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for your inputs! I'll take a look at Precision Gunworks.

But please tell me the meaning of "NOS". :-)

Pete
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

nos= new old stock. out of production stuff that is new
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

If you do restock, do you plan to hold on to your old stock? If not, I might be interested.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

7.62 Precision wrote:If you do restock, do you plan to hold on to your old stock? If not, I might be interested.
It has a crack, whick I haven't manage to glue, as the stock is drenched with a mix of gun oil and linseed oil. I have tried both ammonia solution and acetone, but it doesn't grip well enough. I don't think it is worth shipping cost and the effort. And I think I keep it, if I sell the gun some day. Or if I can fix it.

NOS - I wonder if it could be a Japchester 71 stock. I got an impression that some of the Numrich parts perhaps were for the "new" model 71.

Pete
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Wait till Mrs Shatterhead is gone, and put that stock in the dishwasher on the longest cycle available. Glue will hold after that. Will have to de whisker before restain/ seal. My old Gunsmith buddy used to do soviet bloc and garland stocks all the the time in his shop. Kept a portable d/w for those jobs.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Moodholler - thanks. You give me some ideas, and I'll tell about them if they will work. 8)

Pete
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

The dishwasher trick may work, but the problem is that some previous tinkering owner has grinded half the wood away with rasp and rough sandpaper. He has grinded so much away, that the tang lies 1/16 over the wood. It's so bad done, that it disturbes me.

Precision Gunworks are out of forearms for the spring. But I sent an order to Numrich on semi-finished wood and also a new mag cap instead of the old one with home made sling swivel.

Also did I call a smith and asked for a reblueing. The rifle is tinkered and has no collector's value. Better to put it in a decent shape and use it. I will keep you updated when the work goes ahead!

Pete