What do you carry in your 38 Special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

What do you carry in your 38 Special?

Post by TedH »

I've been going back and forth lately between my 380 and 38 snubby for my carry gun. I've not spent the money for premium self defense ammo for the 38 though. I've just been carrying it with 158 gr. cast swc loaded to +P specs. Haven't had time to do any ballistic gel testing with the 38 yet, so what's your favorite?
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: What do you carry in your 38 Special?

Post by Griff »

158gr ½jacketed HP +Ps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Federal Nyclad.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I mostly carry a s&w model 40 or a old s&w model 36 with a 3" barrel. I am apt to carry most anything I got laying around in it but usually a 125 HP and always since I ride ATV`s in the booneys, a snake load on top. Once in my stupid youth it could have got me killed though. Some miscreants had hit and ran me. We got them "boxed up" and they purposely hit us a couple more times trying to get away. I ran up to the vehicle and the driver locked himself in and initially wouldn't come out. To prove my point in the heated moment I tried breaking the driver side window with a s&w model 60 I had at the time. (This was about 45 years ago). They dont break that easy. It did bring them out. After the excitement My smith wouldn't open! By hitting the window, it had Jared the shot capsule forward half way into the barrel!
The guy had warrants out on him. Last year I bought a SIG 238. That is a small light weight SA auto in .380. It was on sale for almost $150s off so I thought I would try one again as I owned about three 380`s through the years a long time ago. This one has a terrible hard trigger pull. I have carried it occasionally as they are a joy to pack but I ether need to get that trigger worked on or sell it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have Winchester 130gr JHPs+P in there for now. Seems like any of the 130gr +P will just about do. I also keep those Winchester WhiteBox 130s with the truncated (flat) tip.....Those penetrate pretty good in spite of being standard velocity.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 38 Special Short Barrel Ammo 135 +P Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Easily replicated with Unique.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Tycer wrote:Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 38 Special Short Barrel Ammo 135 +P Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
IF you can find the Gold Dots, which I can't. That would be my first choice if they were available.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Snake shot & a Buffalo Bore 158gr short barrel LSWCHP... in my .38sp... because it's a derringer... and it's a BUG that I carry just for snakes...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

125 grain XTP over a max charge of 2400. I know, that 2" barrel will make it light up the night. I carry a Colt Cobra so don't practice with that load because of the aluminum frame but I find it comforting in my pocket.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My wife and I both use Hornady 125gr. Critical Defense +P's for carry in .38 Special.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

FBI load, +p 158 gr. Lead hollow point.
Most likely future change will be to a Buffalo Bore version.
158 gr. SWC or various 130 gr. FMJ for practice.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I like the 125 grain Semi Jacketed HP.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

158 gr. LSWC or LSWCHP. My 38s seem to shoot to point
of aim with the 158 gr. loads, so that's what I use.

357s are loaded with 14 grains of 2400 and 158 gr. JHPs. 125gr. slugs
have a good reputation for stopping goblins, but again, my fixed-sight
revolvers seem to shoot to point of aim with the 158 gr. loads.

-Stretch
Michaux
Levergunner

Post by Michaux »

Handloaded 158 gr. LSWC-Hpt loaded to +P

Michaux
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I gave my S&W M-37 Airweight .38 Special to my youngest Daughter, since I got a .44 Special BullDog - but she carries it with same ammo I did.

When I had the .38 (and now her) I didn't see the need shoot through car doors, windshields, etc for HD/SD, and we both were/are concerned with what damage/harm to an innocent that might result from a pass-through.

Ergo, the .38 Special's always been carried with Glaser Safety Slugs or MagSafe's - which will stop someone w/o passing through.

336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

TedH wrote:I've been going back and forth lately between my 380 and 38 snubby for my carry gun. I've not spent the money for premium self defense ammo for the 38 though. I've just been carrying it with 158 gr. cast swc loaded to +P specs. Haven't had time to do any ballistic gel testing with the 38 yet, so what's your favorite?
Not trying to tell you what to do but I can tell you from personal experience there really is no need to drive a 158gr SWC to +P velocities. I spined a doe this past season and had to administer a coup de' grace with my S&W M10. I was using a 158gr SWC over 4.5gr of W231 which is good for about 850fps, this was done from about 10 feet and it was straight line penetration through and through. I like the Remington 158gr SWCHP as it has a great track record and shoots to the sights, but this can be tough to find as well. Here is some good reading on some .38 SPL tests that were conducted if this will help any.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/def ... tests.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/rel ... loads.html

Another good .38 SPL load that out there is the Remington Golden Sabre. It don't get the press or fan fare of the Gold Dot but from all the tests that I've seen it does very well, and it seems to always be on the shelves. I have a little project that I'm working on with the Hornady 110gr XTP. I'm going to load this up to +P levels with Unique and test it out on some water filled milk jugs to see how it fares. I'm a bit disappointed with Hornady though as the bullets that I recieved actually com in at .3545" not the .357" listed on the box.
Last edited by 336A on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have some cor-bon +P 125's, and I also carry full wadcutters. Its been determined that many hollowpoint loads fail to open reliably in cold weather and at the low velocities that 2" barrels give, if you are using them in short guns. I like SWC's, and sometimes carry them also.

Re: Glasers and mag safe, the current info I've been seeing is that they are very substandard performers in actual use.

If interested, read this, its a very good discussion of pre-fragmented ammo.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php? ... ght=glaser

and look for comments from Chuck Haggard and Doc GKR (Dr Gary K Roberts) in particular.

The conclusion of Dr Roberts, "In other words, pre-fragmented bullets like the Glaser and Magsafe offer terminal performance that is substandard and fully eclipsed by most modern robust expanding JHP designs."
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

170 grain Lyman with 4.5 grains of W-W 231. I want penetration with a flat point.

The British found this out a long time ago.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

The wife is a great shooter with her model 36 loaded with Gold Dot 125HP +p, Daughter#1 likes the pre model 27 with Remington 148gr match wadcutters, #2 prefers the Glock 17 and keeps two extra mags loaded. All good Texas girls!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I shoot 5.1 gr of unique under a 158 cast SWCHP that I hit with a #2 screwdriver bit before loading. I know its better than a sharp stick.
Last edited by EdinCT on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:Federal Nyclad.
Didn't know they still made them.

I use Winchester Silvertips, but actually haven't seen any of them in awhile... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:I shoot 5.1 gr of unique under a 158 cast SWCHP that I hit with a #with a #2 screwdriver bit before loading. I know its better than a sharp stick.

Man! I like that! (Better than a sharp stick!). That's the only thing that ever came out of Africa.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

158 RNL by the national ammo maker. They are good for about 650 fps out of a 4" barrel. That's all they'll let us carry down here. Still, "It's better than a sharp stick" - and surprisingly effective in spite of the "paper ballistics". Shot a good sized hog in the head with it once, recovered from the off side ham. That's a good three feet of penetration. Hog went down right there. It is NOT what I would choose, given my druthers - but it makes me chuckle to hear folks up north agonize over which load to carry. Me? I'll go with about any 158 or so SWC out of the good ol' Model 10 and call it good. They shoot to the sights and that counts for a lot.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Griff wrote:158gr ½jacketed HP +Ps.
What he said.

Though I've never had any qualms about carrying Federal Hydra Shocks. Or another favorite, now sadly out of print, was Federal NyClads. Also trusted IMI Samson 158 grain LSWC HP +P with a great deal of satisfaction.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Tycer wrote:Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 38 Special Short Barrel Ammo 135 +P Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
What he said^^^^^
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc AJ, I bought the last two boxes of Nyclad from a gun shop close to 15 years ago. I still have a full box and half of the other box. I carry them in my Rossi 68 2 inch. A couple of weeks ago my grandson ordered a box of 500 Speer LSWCHP 158 grain bullets from Midway. He asked me to load the old FBI load for him to carry in his new S&W 637-2 2 inch Performance Center +P gun. I cleaned up 50 nickel cases and loaded them over a good dose of Unique.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I happened to watch a violent man get hit in the elbow with a single Federal Hydrashok 158 gr 38+P, from a 2" Taurus 85.
-Stopped him immediately with ugly effect of a dangling forearm. He lost the arm, game over. I have every confidence that a center-of-mass hit with the same round would have been a DOS.

I have no reservations carrying Hydrashok anything in a snubbie.
That said, likewise any Gold Dot round.

FWIW, I have read several reports from victims/assailants who recall vividly the type of bullet showing in the cylinder when staring down a revolver. Silvertip hollowpoints, bright copper HPs, etc. They all had the detail down sub-consciously, and conscious memory!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Lassiter wrote:
What he said^^^^^
What they said ^^^^^ :D

Unless I'm on my own land piddling around...then the first 2 rounds are Speer shot cups full of #9 lead. For the other kind of snake.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

When I had one, the Speer snubbie 135 gr Gold Dot. Before that, Federal Nyclad.

They discontinued Nyclad about 15 years back, but reintroduced it a few years ago.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

MrMurphy wrote:When I had one, the Speer snubbie 135 gr Gold Dot. Before that, Federal Nyclad.

They discontinued Nyclad about 15 years back, but reintroduced it a few years ago.
Cool.......may buy me a few more:
I know the news media said they were 'teflon' coated, so they could go through 'police vests', but it was my understanding that it was an inexpensive way to keep lead residues down in indoor shooting ranges and/or minimize leading in the revolver.

Nonetheless, they always seemed to shoot accurately and easily, although I think the only 'biologic' test of them ever for me was shooting a feral cat with one from my Marlin 1894c, which is kind of a no-brainer.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Seems like that Nyclad load would be easy for me to duplicate with a hollow point mold and my powder coating. Might have to get a cheap Lee mold and hollow point it.
NRA Life Member
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I load mine with the old FBI load, Remington 158gr SWCHP.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ted or anyone else; Have you done a WC ballistic gel penetration test with one going about 850fps or so?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have not, but it would be interesting to do. After we get settled in our new place, I'll be doing a lot more gel testing since I can just walk out the back door. It's a pain to transport all the stuff to the range and set up and shoot it at a public range, and my other option for shooting is an hour away and the gel will change temperature too much unless it's kept in a ice chest, but I think it would be difficult to be consistent that way. Going right from fridge to shooting in a matter of a couple minutes is best for consistent, fair results.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

3leggedturtle wrote:Ted or anyone else; Have you done a WC ballistic gel penetration test with one going about 850fps or so?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n2aBDHZi1A
Kind regards,
Tycer
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I do know from first hand reports, of instances where these ½jacketed 158gr HPs have made one shot stops; one where a knife wielding assailant was shot once, center-of-mass, and one where a shotgun toting assailant took 11 to the torso before going down... (although the ME said the first shot stopped the perp's heart... and the remaining 10 were "just extra torso hits, indicating an adrenaline rush". Shooter stated, "...Mr. __________ remained standing, so I continued to fire until his weapon was dropped..."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

^ ^ Yes, there is no guarantee what will happen in a defensive shooting. What worked great one time may not give the same or even noticable results another time. We have plenty of info on various shootings. One officer hit a guy 22 times I believe before he went down, stayed down and quit shooting at him. Another shot a guy I believe 17 times with a 45 auto, a head shot was what ended it. Both instances had a number of "good" hits, it just didnt shut them down. One other instance was a center hit with a 45 auto on an armed guy, I believe it was a heart shot, and there was a 1 1/2" -2" exit. He turned, ran back up the stairs, down a hall, and barricaded himself in a room and negotiated surrender I think. I don't think he even realized he was hit at first.

Hydrashocks are not the magic bullet they were believed to be 30 years ago. They work, but no better than anything else of that period for the most part. I recall an autopsy report of a suicide, there was no expansion. Todays generation of hollowpoint bullets are mostly vastly superior and more reliable expanders in a variety of situations. The old FBI load being one basic exception. They seem to work well with the right bullet hardness and given adequete velocity (meaning you may not always get it in 2" barrels and/or cold weather).
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

These or Federal .38 Spl 147 grain Hydra-shock +P in my 3 inch model 60.
It is not the critic who counts
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

158 Grain Round Nose.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I don't ever carry a .38 spec. any more, but my wife has a Ruger LCR and she uses Hornady Critical Defense lite as she likes the lower recoil. (And the pink tip on the bullet.) Did I say that :?: Oh well! Oh and she just put a Charter Arms Chic Lady on layaway. It is pretty you see, Polished stainless cylinder and barrel and pink frame. What the heck it does shoot real bullets. And I guess if it gets more women to carry, it's a good idea. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Borrowing a Lyman 140gr hollow point mold tomorrow from a buddy. Not one of the Devestator molds, but an older one with the smaller hollow point, designed for a softer alloy. After powder coating they should be real similar to the Federal Nyclad.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

He's also got a 45 cal Lyman Devestator that he's going to loan me. I've got a few hours of casting ahead of me. Those single cavity molds are sloooow.....
NRA Life Member
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Cor-Bon DPX or 158 grain lead hollow points. However the 148 grain wadcutters are starting to appeal to me. Supposedly they have adequate penetration with less recoil
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wow, if I weren't stubborn I might change my 38's load after reading all the above choices. But I'm a caster so I keep 150 gr wadcutters in my 3" 38 (range lead of about 10 BHN). A max charge of W231 is used and I feel pretty good about this load at short range (across the room distances). I just PCed a few wadcutters and I'm gonna load up some and try them out...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I like the 125 grain Semi Jacketed HP.
I buy bulk Remington 125gr JHP's and load them hotter than I'll print here. All my guns are .357 mag chambered tho.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Tycer wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Ted or anyone else; Have you done a WC ballistic gel penetration test with one going about 850fps or so?
different one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQEP0xSaCYI
and another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-IOblOVbs
Kind regards,
Tycer
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

OldWin wrote:My wife and I both use Hornady 125gr. Critical Defense +P's for carry in .38 Special.
+1
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
1894c

Post by 1894c »

when I owned and carried a j-frame as a BUG I ended up with the above load...these days it's nothing but 9mm (Gold Dot 124gr.JHP +P)...more comfortable with 8+ shots (M&P Shield) than 5 (also carry the 8 shot mag in my pocket too), there is a better chance today to encounter multiple assailants than in the past, at least that's been my experience...YMMV... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jruppert2
Levergunner

Post by jruppert2 »

OldWin wrote:
My wife and I both use Hornady 125gr. Critical Defense +P's for carry in .38 Special.

Bullard4075 wrote:
+1

Where are you all finding Hornady 125gr. Critical Defense +P's for .38 Special?
I see on the Hornady website, Critical Defense ammunition only in 90gr, 110gr and 110gr +P.
No ammunition is listed in 125gr containing Critical Defense bullets and Hornady does not list the Critical Defense bullets as a separate component.

Am I missing something here?

In any case, I don't know if the Critical Defense bullets work better than hollow points but the engineering behind the bullets just seems to make sense to me.
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Hornady 125gr. Critical Defense +P's
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck