My Eyes! My Eyes! AHHHHHH!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

My Eyes! My Eyes! AHHHHHH!

Post by rbertalotto »

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/31/mo ... Newsletter

A Winchester 1886 with a muzzle brake and Rubber Coated Furniture!!!

From AllOudoor.com
Fans of John Browning’s classic Model 1886 lever-action rifle should check out the new Model 1886 takedown line introduced at the 2015 SHOT Show.

The rifles are manufactured by the Italian company Chiappa and distributed exclusively in the U.S. by Taylor & Co.

The three models include a rifle with a classic case-hardened finish, checkered Walnut furniture and traditional sights. The two more modern versions come in either a matte blue or hard chrome finish with rubber coated furniture, a sight rail and more modern sights, and a muzzle brake. All three are chambered in the .45 – ’70 Govt. cartridge with a magazine capacity of four rounds.

These models are so new they are not yet listed on Taylor & Co.’s website but should be added soon.

For more info, and to see the takedown procedure, watch this video with a Taylor & Co. rep from the 2015 SHOT Show.

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/31/mo ... 4aHgi.dpuf
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Eyes! My Eyes! AHHHHHH!

Post by Streetstar »

Works for me :) I like traditional very much, but since its a repro anyway, having a TD that can take a few nicks and bruises is nice because by their very nature, they may get exposed to more temperature extremes and heavy handed handling

I hope they get the functioning a bit better-than the Pedersoli 1886 repro
----- Doug
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I quit alcohol 30+ years ago but someone please pour me a stiff drink, quick!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

John Browning's body is puking in his grave
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They must be trying to capture the huge CoPilot market. :?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's a butt for every seat, evidently............... :roll:

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

At those prices I can't imagine they'll be selling many of them in that finish. Not saying they aren't worth it, but I think people tend to balk when the numbers go past 3 digits. As a person who has always been fascinated by take downs, I certainly appreciate their new rifles. If they made a short barreled version in blued/wood, or even a black plating, without the ports and a pistol grip, I would find it very interesting.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'll see your 1886 and raise you a M1A

aaaaaaaaRGH
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I think it will fit the needs of others and possibly bring people who normally would not look at lever guns into the lever gun world.

They also make the traditional version which is the one I would like.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Interesting - and since these are repros, there is no reason for a purist to get their nose out of joint about original features. If you like them, but them and if not, do not.

Their traditional model is much like my Miroku 1886 .45-90 and if the quality is there as in the Miroku made rifles, they may fill whatever gap there is for a NIB 1886.
Reminiscent of the Chiappa 1886 of a few years back. Foe a heavy duty .45-70, the hunting version looks to be very practical. I can imagine the hunting version as a DG lever gun with heavy hand loads or custom loads by Grizzly Cartridge Company. Should be a lot easier on the shoulder than in an 1886 EL.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It ain't pretty, that's for sure, but a few good rifles are butt-ugly. If the ports make it as loud as my erstwhile Guide Gun, I'd not want anything to do with it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Would like to see em make an 18"barrelled SRC version. 8)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Wellllll.... that one would not be for me, but it is just a repro anyway and I'm certainly not a purist. Not to my taste, but I wouldn't snub anyone who loved it. AR's aren't to my taste either, but plenty of reasonable guys seem to like them - a butt for every seat as Pete so aptly put it :lol:

I always wanted to get my 1894 nitrided - barrel is a replacement anyway and the nitre blue on the receiver is long gone. Hard to find a place that can do that finish though, so I never did it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

some things just shouldn't be messed with.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

It would be a crime to do that to an original 1886, but since its a foreign repro, I'm OK with it. Actually, I kind of like it... :oops: Not $1500 worth of like, though.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin Bayonet - 1.jpg
Marlin Bayonet - 2.jpg
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-m ... e-3-a.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I just ignored the paux fax on the "more modern" finished ones and drooled over the blue octagon barrel/CCH receiver & wood furniture TD model. I still want to know what barrel length that is... if 26", that might just move up my "need" to have list!

Might even move ahead of the Colt Marine CBQP from the custom shop...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I don't mind the stainless, or even polymer furniture, for a practical working rifle, though I would never buy a polymer-stocked lever gun, just because I don't mind the look of well-used wood, and don't like the look of polymer on the same.

I hate the rubber coated stuff though - it looks bad with a little use, it crumbles off if you have bug dope on your hands, it is a nightmare to remove, and if you do remove it, the stocks are always rough and poorly finished underneath.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm about as traditionaist as they come in regards to the 86's, this doesnt bother me at all. I think they are doing a good thing, the things theyve done are pretty practical for a working or hunting gun. I dont care for the muzzle brake, but many like them. I wish theyd get the butt pad angle pulled in at the toe some though.

Sore shoulder mentioned a black version of the hunting model, they had that, the middle gun in the row. Having carried 86s around in the mountains, a shorter version with a pad looks like a good idea. Its in the concept of the Marlin guide guns, though I never could get excited about them, or the Marlin 45-70's in general after getting an 86. It certainly fills a useful and practical niche.

If I had mad money laying around, I wouldnt mind having either the traditional takedown or the black hunting version. If the traditional, I'd D&T it for sling studs and receiver sight and maybe cut the barrel to 20 or 22", and have a shotgun butt fitted (or cut the crescent off). If the black hunting version, I'd get rid of the muzzle widget and get a regular lever. Dont care too much for the big levers.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Not for me but as a guy who lives in a controlled environment getting certain features are not possible in semi's or military packages like the AR or AK. If it gets folks buying levers what do I care.

Its like the never ending debate about scoping or dot sights.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm with Malamute, I would love to have one of the black versions in takedown. I love the originals but I would not mind at all having one of those to serve my travel/hunting needs. I like them. Look forward to seeing one in person.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite 'go-to' levergun is not exactly unaltered, either...

...it is a Marlin 1894, parkerized (due to rust when stored while I was at college), with a light 'rail' sweated on the magazine tube (which is Cerama-Coated since I had to file a bare area to attach the rail), and a new barrel (since I wanted it in 45 Colt instead of 44 Mag). I slimmed the forend to the 'vintage' style, and put a Burris FastFire-II on it as the primary sight, with a LaserMax 'pistol' laser as a backup/designator (don't laugh - it works better than any other 'night sight' combination I've used, and is way more compact).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I saw something about Chiappa and went back to sleep.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Malamute wrote:Having carried 86s around in the mountains, a shorter version with a pad looks like a good idea. Its in the concept of the Marlin guide guns, though I never could get excited about them, or the Marlin 45-70's in general after getting an 86. It certainly fills a useful and practical niche.
I'm with you on the '86s (and the 71, of course), and a short, practical '86 with a good pad and in stainless (which can be blackened, if you like) makes sense to me. Even the brake is OK, if that is something somebody really wants, though it wouldn't be for me. I prefer wood on leverguns, as I said before, but for many people other materials are more practical. Really the only thing I greatly dislike is the rubber finish on the stocks (unless it is a true rubber oversold, like Hogue stocks, but I don't think it is.) Many people buy leverguns only for the practical aspects, and care little about tradition, and the '86 is practical in so many ways.

At any rate, it sure beats the Mossberg monstrosity. (I think that will be our new fallback whenever something is not as traditional as we like, no matter you bad it is; "At least it's not as bad as that Mossberg . . ."
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:Having carried 86s around in the mountains, a shorter version with a pad looks like a good idea. Its in the concept of the Marlin guide guns, though I never could get excited about them, or the Marlin 45-70's in general after getting an 86. It certainly fills a useful and practical niche.
86's are great, as long as you don't mind the sound of a buncha boxcars going by every time you cycle the action and open that dirt and twig hopper in the top. :lol:

My next 45-70 will be a pre Rem Marlin pistol grip cut down to 16". As far as lockup strength, I can do everything I want in 45-70 well below its threshold.

However that take down on the 86 just has me drooling.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30