Sixgun I wish I still had

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun I wish I still had

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I can think of three or four, but the one that really stands out was a Smith and Wesson "1955" Model 25-2, 6 1/2-inch barrel in .45 ACP/Auto Rim. I only shot it with Auto Rim handloads, but it was the most accurate revolver I have ever owned -- and possibly the most pleasant to shoot. Darned things go for top dollar, unfortunately. Got to thinking about it again after re-reading a Brian Pearce article on the .45 AR and the peculiarities of many of the Smiths chambered for it.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1894c

Re: Sixgun I wish I still had

Post by 1894c »

I really hate these threads, because I'll start feeling stupid and sad for letting a really good gun go in order to buy the next new shinny object, which turns out to be a lessor weapon in every way...now I'm blue, I think I'll go watch some TV...mine was a S&W Model 10 4"bbl Police trade-in, .38spl., that had "NYS-222" stamped on the back-strap, kind-of beat up, but boy did it shoot... aaarrrrrggggghhhhhh... :(
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I try to keep firearms going into my collection, and not going out. As such, I rarely sell or trade anything, though every now and again I have scored what turned out to be a lemon. Oh well.

The one Sixgun that I wish I still had was stolen years ago. My Dad had a Colt SAA in .22 rimfire. It was the first handgun I ever fired. Loved it. Unfortunately, someone broke into my brother's room and stole it while we were off at college.

One of many reasons I simply detest thieves... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Have to agree on thieves sucking, Kid.
I suppose the second most-missed sixgun is the Smith Model 28 Highway Patrolman I bought when I turned 21. Had the 4-inch barrel. Nice .357.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mine would be the one in my avatar. .44 special/mag night hunter conversion by Reeder.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:Mine would be the one in my avatar. .44 special/mag night hunter conversion by Reeder.
I remember.....I wanted that one at the time, but my budget said No Way, Dude.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My first duty gun was a S&W M27 5". One of my cousins had my grandfather's 16 ga Ithaca SXS and wanted a pistol for his nightstand. The M27 was all I had to offer him at the time. Then the Ithaca ended up getting stolen so I was out both of them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Can't remember if it was a S&W model 51 or 53.
It was a J frame in .22mag' with a 3" barrel.
Lost the gun and the wife at the same time.................. I miss the gun.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I'm lucky, my wife isn't into guns :lol:

Only one I regret a little was a $90 Mosin m44. Not because it was such a great gun, but because it was sooooo cheap! If I didn't still have 50 rounds or so of 7.62x54 kicking around, I probably wouldn't regret it at all.

Now guns I regret buying, lets talk. Bunch of those!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I wish I still had the 4 3/4" nickel Colt single action I had. Also had a 7 1/2" version. And two 12" blue Buntline 45's.

Also miss the couple Smith 27's, a 5" and a 6 1/2".

And the Colt Peacemaker 22.

Then there was the 4 screw 6 1/2" 29. And the 6 1/2" nickel 29.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

And here ya'll sit crying in your beer!!!!!! If I was to put up just part of my list of handguns you wouldn't be able to stop, not counting the Ithaca 1911 or the Colt Police Positive 32wcf or the S&W 32wcf, better stop now stop now it's getting bad in here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Mine was a pre 29 5 screw 4" S&W that I traded for. I only had $100 in the revolver I traded for it. My kids were little and I wasn't making very much money as a police officer so I ended up selling it.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

SW 27-2....have you seen the prices of the new classics by SW..... :o
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lots of sellers remorse but the first one that came to mind was a 357 S&W pre no. with a 6 1/2" bbl. King's patent sight, humpback hammer and nickel plated.

Then there was the Colt 22 that went with the red-head with the milky white skin and... Yeah, I miss them both.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I do some buying, selling and trading and don't miss most of them, and I do have some "keepers" that will never leave. The ONE that I wish I still had was the first revolver I ever bought in 1975. It was a High Standard Durango model in 22 cal. I was just a cool little 22 that was my 1st. I do still have the box it came in.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've sold off a couple revolvers, one to a friend that didn't have any guns, a .357 Ruger that you could shoot blindfolded, he has several pistols now and says it's still the most accurate by far.

The other was a .480 SRH that gave me a lot of fun and memories. John Linebaugh shortened it to 4.5" one day when I visited him at his shop, I think I still have the piece of barrel around here somewhere. I sold it to a guy up in AK, wonder sometimes how it worked out for him, it was the 6 shot model, not the later 5 shot. John did some measuring and said he could easily ream the cylinders to make it shoot his .475 cartridge, but after loading for it a bit I couldnt see the advantage in that. He gave me a box of pre-production Hornady .480 that Hornady had sent him. Shared his lunch with me and stories. Funny part was he wouldn't even talk to me about doing the work till after I fired several shots from a 375 H&H and a .416 Rigby. I always had the feeling he was proofing me, and when I kept shooting the .416 till it was empty I think he decided I was ok to work with. :lol: He treated me like an old friend after that. That is the memory I have from that pistol along with evenings after work that summer building a house with Malamute spent hand loading using Lee dippers, and a Lee C press like a hand tool, and getting some really impressive consistent chronograph numbers for the 45-70 and .480. Another funny thing about that pistol is when I first brought it home, with its big ugly profile and 7.5" bbl, it is the only gun my wife has ever asked "what do you need that for?". :lol:

Loading for that gun taught me a lot of things, one was that I could get the same performance from the much more available .44 mag.

I don't really miss either one but I definitely miss the good times I had with the .480.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The one I want back is this Colt New Frontier in .45 colt. It is serial # 5355 NF. It disappeared almost 30 years ago at the same time my ex wife ran off with another married man. Audie Murphy bought this gun new and a consecutively numbered mate in 1965.

Mescalero, here is your s&w model 51. I also had smith sell me a 22 lr cylinder for it making it a convertable. They put it in there next catalog as a option after I ordered it. Alas, I traded the gun off many years ago for something else.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Rusty, here is your model 27-2 with the 5" barrel. Bought it new about in 1970. Sent it back to smith and got all the options plus my name engraved in gold. Under it is a 5" 29-2. Still have both.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Everytime I read the title to this thread I think... "WHY would anyone want a little ½ Italian from PA?" :P :mrgreen: :P :lol:

I wish I still had the original Colt I bought in 1973, days before leaving the Navy, a NIB 2nd Gen 4-¾" .45, that I gave a whopping $125 for. Stolen 6 months later. I'd ordered it almost a year before thru our ship's store... I still have the Bianchi rig I mail-ordered in anticipation of receiving it... It's seen a tough 42 years... and grown bigger with me! :P :P :lol: How I wish that sixgun could have been along with us!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

1892, was your model 10 like this one? This is about a 1953 M&P. It is a favorite trail gun when I ride our rzr.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Ysabel Kid, here is your 22 colt scout but I already told a grandson it`s his when he gets older.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Griff, your 45 colt is on top. The gutta percha on bottom is in .44 special.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I like .44 specials. Top is a 1950 target and bottom is a triplelock that later had the company added modern target sights. I belive that one could be my most accurate six gun.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Another favorite pair. Top is a model 25-5 in 45 colt, bottom is a 24-3 in .44 special.
You save on holsters this way.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Cant forget the old colt troopers. Blue one is in .22lr and nickle ia a .38 special. The gun I carried the most on my job and elsewhere was another in .357 mag. I stupidly sold it.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A couple more favorites. A 357 mag 66-3 3" smith (Lew Hortin special one of three hundred), and a 2 1/2" nickle Python.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Booger Bill wrote:Griff, your 45 colt is on top. The gutta percha on bottom is in .44 special.
I'll PM my dealer's info to ya!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Can I have my 51 back?
You can keep her.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I already owned that gun twice. I bought it new in about 1971. Ordered a 22 lr cylinder for it, a wide target trigger and hammer and old stags. Stupidly sold it, bought it back, and traded it for that nickle scout! Dumb, and then dumb TWICE! Usually I was a pretty sharp trader. I do have a nice collection from being a active trader in the 60`s/80`s. It always seemed that I had a taste for guns that later were highly sought after. Another I let go of and should have kept is a S&W model 35 I bought about the same time. It was/is a 6" .22 lr just like that one. Oddly, there are two smiths that I always wanted and never bought in .22lr, a model 17 (4") and the 6" K-22. Once I bought a nickle 6" model 14. It showed up at " the gunshop" and I knew it was a mistake as they were never cataloged in nickle. I nailed it and as I was paying for it I told Jack First`s wife they weren't cataloged in nickle. She said it must be, there it is! I opened it up and you could see where it was stamped 14 over 15, the 4" version of the 6" model 14. That`s another one I should have kept. I sold that one to my chief. That also was about 35 years ago.
Just to irritate, here is another python I own.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Booger Bill wrote:Rusty, here is your model 27-2 with the 5" barrel. Bought it new about in 1970. Sent it back to smith and got all the options plus my name engraved in gold. Under it is a 5" 29-2. Still have both.

That's pretty much it except mine didn't have the orange insert front sight. I never did like those inserts, they always seem to give me too many different things to look at. I usually paint the whole ramp yellow with Testor's model airplane paint.
I have a 4" M28 that almost as good a shooter as the old M27.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My taste`s have changed on that too. I now just like black. I had a interesting nickle 4" s&w model 19 years ago. It had a florescent lime green front insert. I should have changed it out but traded it off for a metal detector. NOT my brightest trade. You get right down to it, IF fixed sights are set for your eyes and load I will take that over adjustables but lucking into the right combo is iffy.
Also through the years my taste on grips have changed too. When I was starting out I thought I had to have the large target grips but age and practicality has led me to the smaller service style along with narrow smooth triggers instead of the wide grooved target ones. I do prefer a wide target hammer though as truth is I am not much of a DA shooter and prefer single action even though I had to qualify DA for 35 years. I had to OC all those years and it still is hard to find the best most comfortable combo of gun and holster for CC for me. What feels good walking around jabs me in the ribs driving. We all have to experiment for ourselves dispite what many "expert instructors" try to force on you. I am into shooting and packing what feels natural and comfortable to ME, not from "experts" that read a book. I once told a young hot shot instructor, "come back in 35 years and we will talk".
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have absolutely no plans on letting go of my Ruger Blackhawk with the .45ACP cylinder and the .45 Colt cylinder. That .45ACP cylinder in it is amazingly accurate and just a joy to shoot. .$5ACP in any revolver is probably just as fun. If you get an accurate revolver that shoots .45 ACP and you want to sell it, please let me know. I like semiauto pistols, but the revolvers are probably the most accurate pistols I will ever shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have this Cimmeron Thunderer made by Uberti. It has the two cylinders, 45 colt and ACP. I have owned it for a long time but never really wrung it out. It shot okay the once or twice that I tried it. I have had it for close to 25 years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sorry Bill.....you never had "me" :D

But.....I did find your gun. It's right here resting safely, only occasionally getting shot with 200 Gr. Cast bullets with 6 grains of 231.

You want it back?----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I just sold a slew of Colts - 2 Pythons, a nickel Lawman, and a Detective Special (also a S&W 66 and a taurus 44 snub)

I dont miss any of em yet ---- i have a new house project that is breaking me, and i am on the final leg of it though.
Those Colts bought me a lot of light fixtures and granite for kitchens and bathrooms :lol:

Like Sixgun said - its all just "stuff". Ther will be plenty more guns on the horizon - some i may keep, some i may send on down the line to fund other things. Heck, once the house is done, i am going to need a barn to store my tractor and hay bales in --- instead of dollars, i may start looking at things in terrms of "How many guns is this gonna cost me?"
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think Streetstar is right,
instead of worrying about my guns after I die, why not convert them to cash for projects?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sixgun: Dang me, that's the one!

8)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Streetstar wrote:I just sold a slew of Colts - 2 Pythons, a nickel Lawman, and a Detective Special (also a S&W 66 and a taurus 44 snub)
Back in 07 we had a Sheriffs auction and a bunch of Colts came up, Pythons and Anacondas, I was shocked what they went for, although that could be said about most of the guns that sold there, I have a .22 derringer I got for $25 and after trying to hit something with it, I think I paid too much :lol: . Anyway, years later I saw a couple of those Colts on consignment at a local gun shop at a significantly reduced price. :lol: Glad you got some good money for yours. The few times I've sold a gun, I got more than I paid for it, which has really impressed my wife.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Only one so far.

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.