AR -- favorite features thread

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

AR -- favorite features thread

Post by Grizz »

This is one of my favorite features, what are yours?
20152899.JPG
thinking of calling this one mattell and painting the spout orange. :roll:

Grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: AR -- favorite features thread

Post by sore shoulder »

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My favorite "feature" of the AR platform is indeed its endless customization possibilities. Yes, many get carried away with this aspect of the weapon, adding everything short of the kitchen sink onto an accessory rail. :roll: Still, it makes it one fun gun to play with! :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

sore shoulder wrote:Image

What type of fun time stuff is this? Serbu, Ferret, Bohica ?

Thats a neat way to get into BMG shooting without having to buy a barrett or A'Lite
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

In my relatively limited use of them I've discovered I really dont like carbines. The sliding stocks, the short (loud) barrels, the choppy feel when shooting compared to the full size rifles.

I also found I didnt care much for flat tops. When I had one, I never found a scope mount I liked, so ended up using a carry handle mount. The hole in a flat top carry handle isnt big enough to get your thumb through to carry comfortably. My preference ends up being a carry handle upper. Excellent iron sights, and a scope can be easily put on the handle with a truly quality mount (ARMS).

With the newer gens of optics, flat tops make sense. I only used a regular scope, and am happy with them.

Just my 2c
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:Image
What? The rubber mallet seems a bit "over-the-top" for scope adjustments! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

This is my favorite AR feature:

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good ones guys, keep 'em coming...

ya kinda knew soreshoulder would do that, didn't you?

I had the same comment about the rubber hammer almost, I was thinking he has to bang the "bangswitch" with a mallet. LOL
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Malamute wrote:In my relatively limited use of them I've discovered I really dont like carbines. The sliding stocks, the short (loud) barrels, the choppy feel when shooting compared to the full size rifles.

I also found I didnt care much for flat tops. When I had one, I never found a scope mount I liked, so ended up using a carry handle mount. The hole in a flat top carry handle isnt big enough to get your thumb through to carry comfortably. My preference ends up being a carry handle upper. Excellent iron sights, and a scope can be easily put on the handle with a truly quality mount (ARMS).

With the newer gens of optics, flat tops make sense. I only used a regular scope, and am happy with them.

Just my 2c
I remember in boot camp you would get hammered for carrying your M16 by the carry handle. Even years and years later I couldn't bring myself to do it without feelinng I was going to get in trouble. :?
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Favorite accessory: Loaded mags
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:good ones guys, keep 'em coming...

I had the same comment about the rubber hammer almost, I was thinking he has to bang the "bangswitch" with a mallet. LOL

I shouldnt speak for SS , as he may use that mallet for something else entirely --- but some of the AR .50 uppers almost require tapping the bolt handle with a mallet to get it to extract --- Others from the early days were built with a miniature cannon style breechblock and you had to literally screw the bolt in from the back of the receiver , and unscrew it every time
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

jkbrea wrote:
Malamute wrote:In my relatively limited use of them I've discovered I really dont like carbines. The sliding stocks, the short (loud) barrels, the choppy feel when shooting compared to the full size rifles.

Just my 2c
I remember in boot camp you would get hammered for carrying your M16 by the carry handle. Even years and years later I couldn't bring myself to do it without feelinng I was going to get in trouble. :?
I've never carried one by the handle, that feels odd. I carry them with my thumb through the handle, the rest of the hand under the handguard and around the front edge of the lower. Its right at the balance point for the most partand always felt good for carrying. I couldnt get my thumb through the handle to carry them that way with a flat top with the handle/sights on.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Have not shot mine much. My favorite feature so far is it's green :mrgreen:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Streetstar wrote:
Grizz wrote:good ones guys, keep 'em coming...

I shouldnt speak for SS , as he may use that mallet for something else entirely --- but some of the AR .50 uppers almost require tapping the bolt handle with a mallet to get it to extract --- Others from the early days were built with a miniature cannon style breechblock and you had to literally screw the bolt in from the back of the receiver , and unscrew it every time
You are on the right track Street. I have a tight accuracy chamber that is also a bit rough. I've been massaging it a bit to try and polish it out, but I've reached a point where I don't care to do any more with the setup I have been using to do this. I'm going to order a chamber polishing brush from Midway. Apparently it's quite common as you say to have to tap the bolt once in awhile with the tighter chambers.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

This one has been fun.

11B30
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

My favorite feature is the 13" Troy Alpa hand guard on my colt. Having an over six and a half foot arm span it's hard for me to bend around and get comfortable with carbine length handguards. So, I shaved down the gas block and added the Troy. I like the slimness of it and now I'm not so cramp and contorted. I don't have as much problem with my mid-lengths.

Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like that I can shoot all these from one 'firearm' if I need to:
  • 22 Long Rifle - Colt conversion kit
    223/5.56 - Bushmaster upper
    300 Blackout - CMMG upper
    338 Lapua - Zel single-shot upper
    50 Beowulf - Alexander Arms semiauto upper
AR-15 Options Covering the Bases.jpg
(Image from AmmoGuide.com - a site I highly recommend for reloading data and cartridge comparisons)

The 338 Lapua is a Zel single-shot upper.

I also like the 90-round and 100-round magazines that work with 223/5.56 or 300 Blackout.

I also like that I can put my Mystic can on the 22 and 30 caliber uppers.

I don't use subsonic 223's though, because unless you use pretty light bullets they can yaw inside the suppressor, and even with an over-caliber suppressor (357 rated), I'm chicken to test the limits just yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the diamondhead fore grip, the mako group handgrip/mag well adaptor, and the GL-Mag buttstock.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gee, Can you all guess.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The carry handle originally protected the charging handle, which was on top, and might have been reciprocating on the earlier models. The gas tube was on the left side of the lower.

I really like the foregrip on my carbine. Very comfortable and no pinch when I grip the magwell.

The thing I think about a lot is making a set of wood furniture so it looks good in the box next to the pt91 wood.

Then I can find a woody surfermobile for transportation to the "front".

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

jeepnik wrote:Gee, Can you all guess.

Nice Lefty :lol:
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how about slings? CarGo has a field expedient dog leash. it has a single point mount on the buffer plate.

what's the pros and cons of the real slings?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

sore shoulder wrote:This one has been fun.

The pin above the safety selector on this is the ultimate AR accessory ---- i take it thats your issue rifle?

KAC rails and an Acog -- nicely equipped
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Right now, the only accessory my 6920 wears is an LMT cut down A2 style rear sight like this one (not my rifle) and an aftermarket Ergo grip pistol grip that fits my hand a bit better

Life is good when i keep it simple

----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Streetstar wrote: Life is good when i keep it simple
I agree. I think Stoners original configuration is the best one. A2 rifle. Fixed rear and pinned on front sights, because detachable anything has this weird quirk of becoming detached at the wrong time, especially sights. 20" barrel for better velocity/performance of the 5.56 and longer sight radius. Fixed buttstock has cleaning kit compartment that is always with the rifle. If I had to choose one AR, or suggest one as the only one a person has, the 20" A2 is it. Even though for practicality I like the 30 round mag, for some reason I like the look of the original Colt 20 rounder. Original Colt 20 rounders are one of the few firearm related things I collect.

Also not mine. (edit: I think thats an A1 based on the rear sight, but otherwise its the same general configuration as an A2)

11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Like it, is the front the standard front sight block?

Would still like to be educated on the sling topic. I know there can't possibly be any angst or tension or feuding about that little detail, right ? :lol:

Grizz
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:Like it, is the front the standard front sight block?

Would still like to be educated on the sling topic. I know there can't possibly be any angst or tension or feuding about that little detail, right ? :lol:

Grizz
There are a lot of schools of thought, the 3 point was all the rage for awhile, till you find out it gets all caught up on your kit. Single point is ok but not great for transitioning. The most practical is a two point that allows for easily lengthening for transitioning like the blue force gear sling. We make them using old rucksack shoulder straps.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Streetstar wrote: The pin above the safety selector on this is the ultimate AR accessory ---- i take it thats your issue rifle?

KAC rails and an Acog -- nicely equipped
You missed the IR laser barely showing that's mounted on the KAC rail. :D
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The A-2-ish gun in your pic may be any of several things. The early A-2's had A1 type sights. I had an early A-2 carbine that had the forward assist and shell bumper, but A-1 sights. I was looking at an 80's Gun Digest and it showed the H-bar as the only A-2 to have the improved rear sight at that time. The gun in the pic also has the A-2 looking barrel (thicker ahead of the front sight).

I understand Canada stayed with the A-1 sights also.

I agree on the full A-2 rifle as a primary. Its my favorite to shoot. By far.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yea I have no idea what the lineage is on that rifle, but the barrel is definitely A2-ish as you said. I do like the simplicity of the A1 rear sight. What I really like is the slick side upper with the A1 sight, Simple and clean. I have never used the elevation features of an A2 rear sight. We zero for 300 meters and forget about it. Now that I'm issued an ACOG, I cant remember the last time I zeroed irons, especially since they dont work with the ACOG mounted. They will however co-witness with the Aimpoint, my favorite red dot.
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've shot the irons a fair amount. They are good for hits on the 24" plate @ 600 yards, and plinking rocks out to 800 or so. I think the A-2 sights are excellent. Large and small apertures for different conditions.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Well, I know that I can hit a man sized target at 300m fairly consistently with the irons on a ratty loose M16 that interestingly was made by H&R and had A2 stamped over the A1. :lol: I can only assume I would do as good or better with a newer one. The red dot on the M4 makes it pretty easy. With the ACOG of course it's not even a challenge as long as you are good with both eyes open.
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The A2 is blamed on the USMC rifle team (having spoken at length to the officer who was put in charge of the A2 program, back when)...

The A1 made a better combat rifle. SOME of the upgrades of the A2 were good. Most were not.

The longer stock, 3 round burst and A2 rear sight should have stayed gone.

I prefer carbines, because I've had to cram into very tight spaces with one for a living. That said, in wide open country, an M16A4, especially with a collapsing stock, is not a bad thing. I carried the A2 enough to appreciate what it can do, back when the M4 was still a theory for most people.

For me?
Collapsing stock. Optic appropriate to the mission. Good quality 2 point quick adjust sling (the VTAC is my normal choice, the BFG Vickers Sling is also good). Good quality 200-500 lumen light, in a decent mount. The rest I can take or leave.

Good quality optic mounts..... ARMS does not even begin to come close to quality. Speaking as someone who used to work for a manufacturer, I know of what I speak. Had a buddy who's ARMS mount simply shattered (broke into three pieces) doing nothing more strenuous than driving around in a Humvee (sitting against his leg). Seen, in my time, over 3,000 or so broken ARMS mounts of a wide variety of types. I will not use one given any other quality option (GDI, LaRue or ADM) that actually works.

ARMS stays in business through government contracts by idiots writing "as good as" contract requests. They make a lot of mounts, and the bad ones hide among the ones that haven't broken (yet....).
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Have you seen broken ARMS carry handle mounts? Thats the only one I've used. Its been the only one I've had that held a zero used on a carry handle.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Yes, two or three.

They're not commonly in use anymore with the flat top receivers being so widespread. Hard to find "any" carry handle mounts in use, either the gooseneck red-dot mounts that sit in front of the carry handle, or the overly tall "on top" mounts.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

really like my M4 Carbine Flat-top, shot the A1 & A2's, all great guns. But at-the-end-of-the-day I really appreciate the M4 configuration, especially for LE... :)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

They really are like legos. Mine has mutated slightly.

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I guess my very favorite feature of the AR15/M16 platform is it's modular design and that with less than $200 worth of tools and a box of parts I can build my own. And for another small sum of cash I can build another upper in a different configuration or caliber to serve a different purpose and be able to switch them out in under a minute, keeping the same familiar stock and trigger pull.

IMHO, the best improvements in parts have been in the following order:

1. Flat-top, picatinney railed receivers that allow for endless options for sights and optics.
2. Good, consistent, after-market triggers
3, Free-float tubes and rail systems, whichever you like.
4. Solid adjustable stocks that allow for instant adjustment to the clothing/equipment changes or even changes in shooters.

The most controversial AR topic, I won't call it an improvement: piston driven gas systems. Number one, I don't have a problem with piston systems...just use them in a rifle that was designed with that system from the ground up, not as so called "correction" to a problem whose existence is arguable AND that the installation of prevents the original design from functioning as it was intended to.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Although I like being able to shoot many different cartridges from the same 'gun' (lower), and the ability to set up a couple different configurations for the same cartridge, I ALSO like the fact that lowers are inexpensive, so you can pick up an extra here and there, and eventually expand your equipment so that you have 'dedicated' lower/upper combinations, like a heavy barreled rifle configuration for longer range and more deliberate shots like coyote hunting, and a lighter, shorter carbine setup for home protection.

Here is the way I usually have my lowers equipped; a 'target' version with a bull barrel and optic, and a 'protection' version with suppressor in case it has to be used inside or before hearing protection can be put on, as well as a 'pistol' version in 300 Blk which is inherently quiet even from a short barrel. I drilled a hole in the registered 'handgun' lower which mates with a pin I installed in the pistol-length upper, so that upper cannot inadvertently be put on a shoulder-stocked lower. The 300 Blk has a Law Tactical folding stock adapter.

It would be interesting to see if a subsonic 50 Beowulf load would work in a pistol-length configuration though - that 300-500 grain bullet half an inch in diameter would be a great home-protection projectile...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:Although I like being able to shoot many different cartridges from the same 'gun' (lower), and the ability to set up a couple different configurations for the same cartridge, I ALSO like the fact that lowers are inexpensive, so you can pick up an extra here and there, and eventually expand your equipment so that you have 'dedicated' lower/upper combinations, like a heavy barreled rifle configuration for longer range and more deliberate shots like coyote hunting, and a lighter, shorter carbine setup for home protection.

Here is the way I usually have my lowers equipped; a 'target' version with a bull barrel and optic, and a 'protection' version with suppressor in case it has to be used inside or before hearing protection can be put on, as well as a 'pistol' version in 300 Blk which is inherently quiet even from a short barrel. I drilled a hole in the registered 'handgun' lower which mates with a pin I installed in the pistol-length upper, so that upper cannot inadvertently be put on a shoulder-stocked lower. The 300 Blk has a Law Tactical folding stock adapter.

It would be interesting to see if a subsonic 50 Beowulf load would work in a pistol-length configuration though - that 300-500 grain bullet half an inch in diameter would be a great home-protection projectile...

I would not have an upper laying around long without building a dedicated lower for it -- im a tad OCD that way

Im a bit miffed i have 3 Encore barrels and only one receiver as well - :lol: :lol: - but the modular aspect is nice for those with more self control
----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

firefuzz wrote:The most controversial AR topic, I won't call it an improvement: piston driven gas systems. Number one, I don't have a problem with piston systems...just use them in a rifle that was designed with that system from the ground up, not as so called "correction" to a problem whose existence is arguable AND that the installation of prevents the original design from functioning as it was intended to.

Rob
i completely agree.
11B30