OT- Thinking of building an old time Flintlock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Thinking of building an old time Flintlock

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have been wanting to do this for a few years, but have never gotten it off the ground. I really want to take my sweet time and build a nice one. Something I would be proud to pass down the line, but still a shooter. Triger maple full stock with the works. I have allot of wood working tools and the place to do it. I have built a few percussion rifles from kits when I was younger, but never a fancy flintlock.

My question to you is has anyone ever attempted it themselves??? Its just something about those rifles that has given me an itch that I need to scratch. I need some resources.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Mich hunter checkout the muzzleloadingforum athttp://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php.A great bunch of guy's that can answer any guestion concerning tradition BP muzzleloading firearms(no inline firearm posts allowed) and also cap n' ball revolvers.More than a few members are veteran custom builders.Hope this helps. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try Track of the Wolf for your parts. They have everything set up so you can order everything you need for a particular rifle pretty easy. When you look at the stuff online you'll see what I mean. One word of caution though. I built a Southern Mountain rifle from parts I got from them about 20 years ago. I filled out my order form and sent it in. they sent me all the parts just as promised... except the breech plug. That they put no back order. So there I sat looking at several hundred dollars worth of gun parts and nothing I could do cause the first thing you have to do is breech the barrel to start the inletting. I ended up getting the plug from another source, but I thought that was a pretty poor way of doing business.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I converted a percussion to flint for a friend and have a lock to do it to one of mine when I get to it.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Thinking of building an old time Flintlock

Post by El Mac »

Mich hunter wrote:I have been wanting to do this for a few years...Its just something about those rifles that has given me an itch that I need to scratch.
You aren't the only one. I recently visited with a Master builder of flintlocks (much of his work can be seen at the NRA museum in Virginia). A very interesting evening... how I admire men like him that can build and do things with their hands and hand tools! At any rate, he really recommended a parts set (as opposed to a kit) that you can really 'build' not just put together. One of the best is offered by Jim Chambers. Check out his website:
http://www.flintlocks.com/
High quality kits, the best locks and the latitude to buy the barrel from several sources, intructional DVDs and books and uncompromising after sale service.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only built a muzzle-loading pistol from (almost) scratch.

I used the 8" I cut off the end of the barrel of my new Marlin .444 (in 1967), ran a tap into the rear for a short stovebolt that I had welded a top tang onto.

Since I was doing a caplock, I just drilled a hole for a boughten bolster in what became side of the barrel after the breechblock was wrenched tight, just ahead of the inside forward end of the bolt.
A flintlock's touch hole would most likely go in the same place.

For the stock I used a huge chunk of walnut I retrieved from a woodworking shop, where some learner had mistakenly cut up an old solid walnut desk that had a surface veneer on it.

I purchased the lock & trigger parts together from October Country (?) (I'm not sure I remember exactly who), and inletted them, adapting a nice curved steel trigger guard from a European double shotgun that had seen better days.

It didn't shoot too bad, once I figured out the right ball/patch size.

It was a satisfying project, and I recommend you attempt your longrifle.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Thinking of building an old time Flintlock

Post by C. Cash »

El Mac wrote:
Mich hunter wrote:I have been wanting to do this for a few years...Its just something about those rifles that has given me an itch that I need to scratch.
You aren't the only one. I recently visited with a Master builder of flintlocks (much of his work can be seen at the NRA museum in Virginia). A very interesting evening... how I admire men like him that can build and do things with their hands and hand tools! At any rate, he really recommended a parts set (as opposed to a kit) that you can really 'build' not just put together. One of the best is offered by Jim Chambers. Check out his website:
http://www.flintlocks.com/
High quality kits, the best locks and the latitude to buy the barrel from several sources, intructional DVDs and books and uncompromising after sale service.
The Chambers kits are highly regarded overall. They are wonderful folks and his daughter Barbie who deals with the business end is the best. Another fella that is highly regarded and I can recommend is Jack Garner from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing TVM. He's one of those good old boys who takes time out to deal individually with you, and gets it right. Offers great PA, TN and VA kits and rifles..different grades of wood and left handed versions He uses Green Mountain and I believe Long Hammock barrels. I am having a local builder finish mine out...a Jack Garner left handed Early Lancaster in 54 Cal Green Mountain barrel, sliding wooden patchbox and double set triggers.

http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Oooh, I wish I had more spare time...

As my Meme would have said, "Do to it the thing."

I have always wanted to build one, (even from kit,) in a small-ish caliber for deer and whatnot. Something in .36cal or so to really zip a conical or a ball out there.

Something akin to a squirrell rifle.

Well, let us know what you decide, and PLEASE post some pics!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Track of the Wolf is good.
Dixie Gun Works has plenty to choose from.
I don't know if the Log Cabin Shop in Ohio is still in business but they used to have some of the prettiest stock blanks available, and the other parts they carried were first rate.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was going to tell you about muzzleloadingforum.com, however, someone has beat me too it. It is an excellent resourse and has resident experts that can give you excellent advise.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Chambers also offers a really good how to video. Shows step by step the whole process of building a rifle. I recommend it highly.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Here is a good link:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/

I built a Track percussion kit - Southern Tennessee Mountain style in .45 - and am perfectly happy with it. It is a po-boy style and not fancy but sure shoots good. I am very comfortable shooting it out to about 100 yds. with 70gr FFF and round ball.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have built several. Track of The Wolf is a good place to get parts.

I dont like it when people call them KITS. Kinda like calling a load of lumber a house kit!!!

Late slant breech Hawken 54 cal.

Beck style Kentucky with Syler(sp.) lock Getts swamped barrel .50cal.

Vincent (Ohio) style with .40 cal.42" barrel Dooers Egg lock

And a couple of horns.

Making stuff is a lot of fun. Dont hesitate to jump right in, the water is just fine!!! :D :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

OH I forgot, dont forget to put your mark on your finished gun!!!
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

darn nice looking Chuck! Way to go.... Very nice work indeed.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I've been wanting to build something big like .69 or .72 caliber. Or a .54 caliber Hawken or even a .32 of course I guess to get what I want I'm going to have to build all three.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Chuck,

You do realize someone is one day going to mistake your touchmark for "center line"... :P
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Well done on assembling those er......."theme based muzzleloading rifle parts packages " Chuck! Just didn't want to say kit. :D :wink:

All "Kitting" aside...VERY nice indeed!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks guys! Comal Forge, That is my initials and as you know stands for centerline and is my registered trade name in WA state for Centerline Sports and gets me discounts at Brownells and Midway USA. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've had a CVA Kentucky Pistol "parts package" for some 15 years, every once in a while I take it outta the safe and ask myself, "are ya ready?" It was a prize from some shoot andwould likely be worth less after I botched it up!

Chuck, them're mighty fine boomsticks! :lol: 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!