Need photos of M71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Need photos of M71

Post by Old Shatterhand »

As I am going to refurbish my tinkered M71 and put new swivel eyes on it, I would really be thankful if some kind person here could take a pair of close up pictures of the original swivel eyes of a M71 and add them in this thread.

Regards,

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need photos of M71

Post by mod71alaska »

Pete, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "swivel eyes." The 71 Deluxe had a swivel base that was inletted into the underside of the buttstock. The Super Grade style 71 swivel attached to that inletted swivel base. The forend swivel eye was not in the wood but smoothly welded on to and integrated into the forend cap. That is the difference between the 71 Std and Dlx 71 forend caps.

Is that what you mean by your question about 71 swivel eyes?

I can send you pics of what I have described above, with the measurement for the placement of the inletted buttstock swivel base, if you that would help you. I will need a few days to do it though and someone here might already have those photos on hand. If you don't have that old style (Deluxe 64 / 71 / pre-64 Super Grade) base one often can be found on ebay. (Or I might be able to find one for you among my Winchester parts.) As for the 71 forend cap with the welded swivel eye integrated into it they can be found very occasionally on ebay and are quite expensive when you do find one.

Hope this might be a beginning of the information you've requested.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pete the Plumber,
Here you go bud....fresh from a Yank! :D Notice that the sling eye holes are larger than regular sling eye holes. To make the gun "correct" you will also need the larger sling swivels.------Sixgun

Pre-war deluxe

Pre-war standard

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Sixgun is your forend base welded? Mine sure isn't. It's attached with the thinnest, shallowest dovetail I've ever seen.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Leverlover,
On the deluxe? Sure looks that way.

On the standard? Dang, don't know. I've had the forend off a mess of times and never really looked. One thing for sure, it don't move and I don't see no dovetail.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Yup, second year deluxe. Definitely not welded or silver soldered. Don't have access to a camera right no but will try later.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Thanks for pictures and comments. I must say that the deluxe pre-war sling bases are really beautiful! And the standard ones are for sling hooks, aren't they? :)

The most attractive would have been to mount original pieces, but they are hard to get. A second alternative is to get something that goes in the correct stile and doesn't look provocatively bad. German Recknagel has som interesting stuff, with high quality and not too unstylish look.

Today my M71 looks bad with garage tinkered parts and grinded wood. New wood and some parts are travelling from Numrich to Sweden, but supposedly it will take a week or two for it to arrive. Meanwhile the rifle will go to a smith för reblueing. The intension is too get it in a nice refurbished shape without altering the original standards. I promise to post some before-and-after pictures here.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF