Shooting event in SoCal March 30th-April 4th???? Pics added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Shooting event in SoCal March 30th-April 4th???? Pics added

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Gents,

I'm sorry for the late notice but Spring Break is coming soon and I have decided to spend it with family in SoCal from the dates listed above. Old Savage and I never agree with where to shoot. He always wants to shoot at "A Place to Shoot" I think its called, and I always prefer to shoot at the Angeles Shooting Range http://www.angelesranges.com/# which has steel targets for rifle out to beyond 400 yards which the "Place to Shoot" people cannot compare with. The Angeles Range also has a very nice reloading store. So this place get's my vote every single time even though it causes Old Savage's jock strap to get all bunched up! :lol:

We have shot at the Angeles range many times, and had a great breakfast beforehand at a local restaurant.

The Angeles Range also has separate but very advanced rifle and pistol ranges with steel targets. I highly recommend it, but will leave it up to the group to decide. A Place to Shoot is very good for pistol work, just not so good for long range rifle. Sorry Freddie. :lol:

The Angeles range is where we did the original Leverguns Family Reunion years ago with our own J. Reed and it was a hoot!

You guys tell me where to go, and on what day, and we will schedule it, OK?

Regards,

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Possible shooting event in SoCal March 30th-April 4th???

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
One year and three months to go.....and I'll be there bro..........as I used to say back in'72......let the party begin. :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Would love to see you Six! Hopefully someday! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

ANDY
sounds like fun. as long as we get to have breakfast and talk bout stuff i am in.
O S i would like to talk to you about the 32-20 to 25-20 thing.
oldguy.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Breakfast at our usual café sounds great to me! -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let's see Tutt, tell you where to go :) ??? Never had any reason to shoot at anything 400 yds away. But, APTS does have a 400 yd steel plate. Not 600 though.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Let's see Tutt, tell you where to go :) ??? Never had any reason to shoot at anything 400 yds away. But, APTS does have a 400 yd steel plate. Not 600 though.

400 yards??? That's childs play....here in Pennsylvania we shoot 2" derringers at one mile. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I will be so close yet so far during those dates in AZ. To bad I will be there for work and unable to get away.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Freddie, the Angeles range, between its facility, and the local café which is very good and close by, really seems to be a winning combination. There is also a great reloading store at Angeles. Let me contact Jim Williamson and talk to him about dates then I will propose a date. Old Guy, thanks for being such a loyal participant! I look forward to seeing you and hopefully "The Shadow" again. :lol: Regards, -Tutt

Jeremy, June 27th and 28th in Hotchkiss, CO for a FoBD event maybe? Griff is going. We could also just plink on one day before and after that if you could get there even if you don't have anything that can shoot 1538. Many shooting games available to us. -A-

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Andy wish I could :( will be back to the grind in NC at that time. Still got 15 months till I retire and will be on my own program. On the up side by then I should have loads sorted out for my 45-70 and the enfield that should make those injuns sweat.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutti, you coming from Mission Viejo?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yup Fred, coming up from M.V. I'll probably crash the night before at someone's house.

Jeremy, while I have seen the vaunted 303 Brit hit the Indian's it was a fluke we could never duplicate. There must have been something about the weather conditions that first time that were just perfect. But when tried again the bullets went haywire and could not stabilize at that distance.

Now that 45-70 with a 500 grain round nose is about as good as it gets. 8)

-Tutt

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Dont hurt to try will have to play with some loads to see what I can get to work the ole 303 aint fast so would have to maximize the bc. The 45 should get there we shall see it has the original 1-22 twist so might be sketchy all amater of the right bullet.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I always just do useful shooting but I will humor you guys.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm thinking "useful" shooting is a relative term. If you can hit a small steel target or rock at 100 yards with a snubbie 38 like Jim does, or me (reluctantly admitting to it in the past but not at ALL sure I could do it again) hitting a 75 yard target with a 460 snubbie, I'm thinking that is pretty darn useful myself!!! I think the word "useful" depends on your individual range and what you can hit at accurately.

-Tutt

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why the crack about " injuns "?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mesc, thinking you have been gone for a while. The whole purpose of the FoBD range is to reproduce the shot made by Billy Dixon at 1538 yards. It has nothing to do with them being "Injun's" just a reproduction of one of the most extraordinary shots ever made in the history of firearms.

Please read further before commenting as we are actually considered to be an educational facility.

http://www.gunblast.com/AndyTuttle_FOBD.htm

Thanks,

-Tutt

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I went to school in Texas.
I know about the shot,
However it was made, it was exceptional.
I am not mad or upset, just curious why such terms are still utilized.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What term should be used?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

------- Indian? :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No worries Mescalaro. :lol: I was once telling a woman about FoBD and she got all upset at how we were "shooting Indians". She thought we should be closed down or something! :lol:
We actually just call it the Billy Dixon Array if memory serves and we don't call it shooting Indians, "Injun's" or whatever. To us, its just a steel target array used to reproduce an incredible historical shot. -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hoping for a Thursday, April 2nd breakfast and shoot. I emailed Jim Williamson, waiting to hear back. I'll call him if I don't hear back very soon. If anyone has a date request now is the time guys!

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Talked to Jim just now. He is free that Thursday for breakfast and daytime shoot. He is going to bring some very interesting custom McPherson rifles for people to shoot. Alas, I will only have one to share! :evil: But I will have some other magnum toys to play with. 8)

I will be coming up Wednesday afternoon to camp at Jim's house so hopefully Fred, Jim and I can have dinner together somewhere that night. The rest of us will meet for an early breakfast at the local café close to Angeles Shooting Range, I will have to look up the name again, its been awhile, but I will post it here very soon. The food and camaraderie has always been great there.

See you guys soon! :lol: -Tutt

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tutt - I wish I could be there. That is the week of spring break here out east, and we already have family plans! :(
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, it was pretty darn short notice! What are you doing June 27th and 28th? Hotchkiss, CO is calling!!! A day or two before that would be good fun just plinking at FoBD my friend. The best days I ever had there was when Tym and I had free range of the place and it was not a competition, and we just got our rifles on target at all sorts of different ranges. I grew more in my expertise from that one trip alone than anything I have done since.

Regards!

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thurs won't work for shooting but dinner Wed might. Let me know where you are considering.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Now you tell me. What would work for you for shooting O.S.?

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not sure any date in there would. Go ahead with your plan.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bummer. What time are your free for dinner? Might help me plan some. -T-

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Slight topic deflection ... hope you don't mind.

I can't make it this year, but hopefully some time soon I might.

If one from another country such as I'm in should make it to CA, what does the gun laws say about an out of state shooter bringing in rifles and short guns? CA and IL laws always seem to be in flux so I have no idea what the laws say.

This is serious curiosity.

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Joe, best practice would be the ammo needs to be in a locked container and best if not in the cab but in the trunk although technically it could be in the cab if locked but I'm told just don't go there. Pistols also have to be in a locked container or gun case cab or trunk. Your trunk is considered a "locked container" as long as it doesn't have easy access to the cab but redundancy has its place. Long guns do not have to be locked but if you have a locking rifle case I would use it and put them into the trunk. No barrels shorter than 16 inches of any kind, no 410 shotshell guns, revolvers or pistols of some sort less than 16 inch barrels. Its also best to tell them you are going to a shooting event and transporting your arms to and from said event. If I have stuff in the cab I cover everything up with a blanket so when I'm at a gas station on a long road trip some Liberals don't freak out. :o :lol:

That being said, I have disobeyed my own advice many times such as ammo in the back seat foot wells and only in closed boxes and long guns in soft cases, no locks, on the back seat, covered, and I have never had any trouble transporting my guns either her in CA, or through Nevada or CO. But try not to give them cause to pull you over (I have been and still no trouble). I wanted to give you the most conservative recommendations though. Hope that helps.

FoBD is in CO just to be clear, and the Angeles Shooting range is in Los Angeles County, CA. Would love to see you! I'll even loan you my 460 snubbie just so you can get a blast from your past! LOL :lol:

-Tutt

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tutt,

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound much worse than IL.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Joe, I do exercise more caution on out of state multi-day road trips then I do on local trips. I think you get that already. No sense tempting fate, but I find most LEs are pretty kind where firearms are considered unless your a complete a-hole. -Tutt

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tutt,

I made a trip to CA and AZ back in '02. Had a bunch of guns and ammo locked in gun cases in the tool box behind the cab. I figured that was "secure and out of reach".
My current vehicle has no trunk. It's a Nissan Pathfinder. So they'd have to go towards the back locked up and covered. Same as here.

Joe
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yeah, my Volvo Cross Country was the same way Joe. It would be a pleasure to meet you if you ever make it out here. Or if you make it to CO.

Regards Mr. Emeritus Person You. :D My 460 snubbie says "Hi!" :lol:

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Guys, made it down to SoCal on Sunday and arrived about 130pm after departing Ukiah at 445 am. Had to stop to sleep for 30 minutes and made 3 stops, but made it in about 8.5 hours.

The name of our favorite café is the Ranch Side Café in Sylmar, CA just down the street from Angeles Range.

http://ranchsidecafe.blizzfull.com/

I believe it had 4.5 stars on Yelp. We always get a good meal here.

Address is 11355 Foothill Blvd
Sylmar, CA 91342
Phone is 818 834-0031

How does 9am Thursday sound for breakfast then we head up to the range?

Jim Williamson is coming and he's always a hoot. I have 3 rifles and 3 handguns and ammo with me.

Hoping Old Guy can still make it.

Please give me a head count so I can be sure the café has enough staff.

Thanks,

-Tutt

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

ANDY
i still plan on making it.
the shadow says he is in.
lets do it.
oldguy.

p.s. anyone know the whereabouts of el chivo.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Awesome! Thanks Guys! I look forward to it! -Tutt

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

ANDY
my youngest son, old guy jr. #2, just told me
he is on spring brake and would like to join us.
is that o.k. with you ?
oldguy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, I will miss seeing you fellows but the office calls, pesky patients you know. Oldguy, I am interested in hearing what you had in mind regarding the 25-20, 32-20 issue. I am sure Andy will welcome your son. Hope you all have a great time.

oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

O.S.
i will give you a call as soon as the dust settles.
perhaps we can do a place to shoot, shoot and
talk.
oldguy
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:------- Indian? :lol:
S'okay... hits on the horses count also! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Guy, OF COURSE "OLD GUY JR." :lol: CAN JOIN US! I look forward to seeing you all soon! The more the merrier!

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here are some pics from the event. We started out at the Ranch Café which is owned by two lovely Ethiopian ladies and they are now serving Ethiopian food. I decided to have an Ethiopian breakfast, it was quite good! From left to right: Old Guy Jr. Old Guy, Shootist Jim Williamson, myself, and The Shadow.

Old Guy with a nice Marlin in 30-30 which I actually shot. Psst. Don't tell Old Savage! :lol:

Pretty sure this is The Shadow shooting Jim's 22 LR Smith at rocks at 200 yards. We were all shocked at how accurate that little gun is at that range. I have new respect for the 22 LR.

Some serious McPherson levergun porn. A skeletonized 44 mag that with the scope and mount weighs 5.5 lbs.

Talking during a ceasefire.

Thanks for everyone who showed up, it seems like everyone had a nice time. :D

-Tutt

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Shooting event in SoCal March 30th-April 4th???? Pics ad

Post by Griff »

Gosh darn, I didn't recognize Jim, his hair has fallen from his head to his chin! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I purchased 2 lbs of the Power Pistol powder I needed for my 10mm Kimber (which Jim fixed for me by the way, he is quite handy with 1911's!), a reloading data log book and I finally found a ammo box big enough for the 375 H&H Ackley round I shoot with the extended length 350 grain boat tail bullets. 8) Its a nice little reloading store. -Tutt

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I live in Mission Viejo , and thought of going on the previous shoot but was to busy.If ever in the area again I
belong to a private club east of Corona. Its one hr door to gate. Only downside is its a 200yrd range but all to
one self!There are a few fun stores in the area, let me know.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

M.Wun, my 71/84 Mauser doesn't even shoot to point of aim until 200 yards. It was designed as a long range rifle from it's outset. A 200 yard range would be really limiting for us. There was some talk about going to Old Guy's gun club in Ojai, CA that has steel targets out to 600 yards. Since Old Guy and The Shadow have been good enough to come out to Angeles 3 times now, I think it is time we pay them a visit. Now Old Guy, about where we have breakfast....:lol:

And is there any place to tent camp and have a campfire there the night before? That would be very, very cool.. 8)

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like a good time. So, you shot a 30-30, about time. I took care of a South African who rolled 11 cars had one head on and hit a train. That is in addition to 6 motorcycle wrecks. Put the crosshairs (Xray) on him. What a mess. Should be fun.

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Ojai is nice, I have an uncle that lives there.You could camp at Lake Casitas, its close.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here