Does anyone here use a Surface Pro tablet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Does anyone here use a Surface Pro tablet?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And if you do, do you like it?

Work is thinking about offering these as an alternative to a laptop for those who travel intensively. I do for sure. On the "surface" (no pun intended) I think the lighter weight, faster start up and close down would be nice. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a plane and been yelled at by the flight attendants as I wait forever for my laptop to shut down. I am not a big fan of the I-devices (specifically the iPhone and iPad), because you can't expand the memory or even use a USB thumb-drive with them. Not acceptable.

Anyway, thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience with these, good or bad.

Thanks!

YK
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Does anyone here use a Surface Pro tablet?

Post by Old Ironsights »

No, not the Surface, but I have an Asus T100 (same thing only slightly heavier with a more tactile keyboard) and it works reasonably well. I've not had the opportunity to really challenge it, but it seems to be a decent box.

If TPTB are offering you a Surface, I don't think you will be disappointed in the end (Playing DVDs notwithstanding) but it will take a little getting used to.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yes , I have one for work . Battery last a long time . The touch screen is nice , because you can use your fingers to enlarge what you are looking at. I use the keyboard more than I do as a tablet. . The only problem I have is when reattaching the keyboard it doesn't always reconize it . Just hit the windows button a couple times and it is good. It only has a one USB port . I like it. I don't think I would spend my personal money on the surface pro. But if your work is , I would recommend it. You have to get used to Windows 8 , but 10 will be a free upgrade.

I don't use a laptop case anymore. I use a leather 3 ring binder that zips shut, I took out the 3 ring binder part but have the other pockets and paper tablet to use , works out good. Plus it fits inside my laptop case when I need to carry more stuff.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I looked at the Surface Pros, but I was unable to overcome anxiety caused by the single USB port.

I didn't think that the Surface had the expansion capabilities I wanted, so I purchased a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I have one of the first Gen. Some things I really like about it, some I don't. The small size is a blessing and a curse. As I get older I have a harder time reading the font size, enlarging the page compounds the drawback of a already small screen. They make adaptors for the USB port so you can run more than one device at a time but I haven't experimented with it, something else to carry around. The SSD makes powering up and down fast, it's great, but it also is not very big. I use a 64g micro SD to hold a lot of my data but it doesn't always play nice, constantly losing communication with it. Battery life is good and I understand much better on the newer Gens. I waited a long time for someone to come out with a tablet that would function as a laptop also and there are still to many compromises in my opinion. I seriously thinking of going back to something with a bigger screen, more USB's, larger storage. I'm looking to get something larger, with touch screen and at least a 512g SSD. The SSD is a must.
Ricky

DWWC
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Just got one for work. Pro3, 128GB. Docking station, keyboard. Can't offer much more than what others have said. My iPad is going to be retired.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys! :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's what I bought for my one-hole tablet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY8 ... UTF8&psc=1

A whopping 13 bucks and works great.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

What OS would you be using in the tablet? Android is about the worst OS, I have ever used. Even though you don't like the I products, they have the best OS for a tablet.

I would get a new laptop, I like Lenovo myself. You can get a really fast and thin, (when closed only about and inch), and still have a keyboard, CD/DVD, usb, and eithernet, without the use of a "Dongle".

I really hate the way the keyboard is set up in Android, oh you can probably spend a few days looking for a different keyboard in apps, or order a BlueTooth add on keyboard, but then you are open to leaving your BlueTooth on and extra battery and people can exploit that in public places.

I have found that the battery on the Motorola Android tablets is horrible, less than an 2 hours, and it's not replaceable, like all the tablets the batteries are build in, so you have to buy a new tablet when the battery goes.

Oh and Android is open share, like Linux, and the apps are not tested, so good luck when you get a bad one and it shuts down the Android OS, at least the I products all apps are tested and then allowed to be bought/ or downloaded.

Plus I really, really hate a touch screen, it never fails you touch somewhere on the screen while doing something and poof you are in a different app and can't get back to your work!!! Trust me that sucks.

Steve
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

What OS would you be using in the tablet?
. The Surface Pro uses Windows 8.1. It is laptop/tablet. Ummmm, a Lablet, Toptab or maybe Laptab! :mrgreen:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

My new boss has a Surface Pro
This afternoon he was bragging it up to me and it froze on him
He powered down 3 times before it started working
I am one gun away from happy
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

41 Redhawk wrote:
Ummmm, a Lablet, Toptab or maybe Laptab !

LapDance.................... ;) . :roll:

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Pete44ru wrote:
41 Redhawk wrote:
Ummmm, a Lablet, Toptab or maybe Laptab !

LapDance.................... ;) . :roll:

:mrgreen:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

41 Redhawk wrote:
What OS would you be using in the tablet?
. The Surface Pro uses Windows 8.1. It is laptop/tablet. Ummmm, a Lablet, Toptab or maybe Laptab! :mrgreen:
Then go with a laptop, windows10 will be out soon and a free upgrade. Makes little sense in going the tablet route with a OS that is designed for much higher power and speed options than will be available with a tablet.
Plus the new speed of USB3, will not be utilized in a tablet.

Oh, did I say how much I hate tablets.

Steve
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Steve, with the keyboard on it is a laptop. If you want to use it as a tablet the keyboard pops off. The one we have in the office has 4 GB of memory, a 128GB "hard drive" and an Intel i5 processor. Microsoft advertises it as an tablet that can function as a laptop. I see it more as a laptop that can function as a tablet
The Lord Bless You

Terry
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

41 Redhawk wrote:Steve, with the keyboard on it is a laptop. If you want to use it as a tablet the keyboard pops off. The one we have in the office has 4 GB of memory, a 128GB "hard drive" and an Intel i5 processor. Microsoft advertises it as an tablet that can function as a laptop. I see it more as a laptop that can function as a tablet
Some tasks would work very well for a tablet I think, very specific uses, but after that a laptop is king. One thing that is nice on a tablet is the scanning app, but that is all I can think of that beats the laptop route.
I find the huge problem with tablets are the lack of USB, CD/DVD, Eithernet connectivity. Plus if you are using the dongle for whatever, you can't plug in the tablet to power if your batteries are going dead quickly.

All in all, tablets are nice to go to facepuke when you are bored, but cannot beat the features of a laptop.

Steve