>405 WCF with Barnes 300 grain TSX on hogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

>405 WCF with Barnes 300 grain TSX on hogs

Post by crs »

Some weeks back, I purchased some .405 bullets and ammo on 24 Hour Campfire forum and promised to test the rounds loaded with Barnes TSX soon on a hog.
That was done this morning at The Boars Nest in Kenefic, Oklahoma and here is the result:

After a couple of hours of seeing hogs in the 60 to 100 pound range, a nice sized sow trotted past where I was standing hidden by a large cedar tree and I dropped it with a shot through the neck. Naturally the TSX shot through and into the sandy soil behind the pig. Now I need to fid a much larger animal for bullet testing or line up several hogs in a row.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: >405 WCF with Barnes 300 grain TSX on hogs

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, the 405 reappears. Have always thought that is one of the most interesting here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Well, early on, you said to campaign it!
The Winchester 1895 has become one of my favorite lever action rifles. I have a lever rifle for all levels of ammo and game:
Red Ryder BB gun
Henry lever .22
Winchester M9422 mag
WinchesterM92 .357
Winchester 1895 .405
Winchester 1886 45-90

From small pests to elephants (to paraphrase Paco on the 45-70). :D

For those situations requiring a scope for game way out there, I did go through that phase and have a couple of those too. However, it is more satisfying to get close and before letting fly. The hog above was taken at 15 steps and never saw or scented me.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

crs wrote: The Winchester 1895 has become one of my favorite lever action rifles.
Mine too. When I first saw one as a kid, I thought it was a bit awkward looking. The '95 grew on me, though, and the first time I handled one, and then shot one, I was sold on them.

When I bought my .45-70, I was really torn between the '86 .45-70 and the '95 .405, but I went with the .45-70 for the versatility. I have '95s in a couple other calibers, but maybe one day I will get a .405.

You need to break that thing down and jump on a plane. We have some bigger animals up here . . .
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

7.62 Precision wrote:
crs wrote: The Winchester 1895 has become one of my favorite lever action rifles.
Mine too. When I first saw one as a kid, I thought it was a bit awkward looking. The '95 grew on me, though, and the first time I handled one, and then shot one, I was sold on them.
Kinda the same here. I still own a .405 1895 Winchester and a .35 Whelen, but have had a .30-40 and 2, .30-'06s before. I'd still like a .30-40 in carbine form someday. With the Williams FP on the .405 and the Providence Tool pattern 21 on the Whelen, they are both fast and accurate.
7.62 Precision wrote: You need to break that thing down and jump on a plane. We have some bigger animals up here . . .
Oooo, me! me! (my hand is up if you can't see it. :D ) I'd be tickled to SEE some of those in the wild, even if I didn't necessarily get a chance to shoot one or more. Getting the meat home would be an issue, so that curbs my excitement some. I had a lot of soul searching to do to get my mind right for hunting in Africa. Once I was assured the meat would not go to waste and I would be able to taste it all while there, I could come to grips with it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Just what kind of heavier game do you have in mind?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote:7.62,
You're so narrow-minded, Charles! :wink:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes I did Drs, and glad to see you doing that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

crs wrote:7.62,
Don't know how I missed knowing this before, but I am on Kodiak right now and made a discovery. People have raised cattle on Kodiak for many years. In fact, there are islands in AK where the only remaining genetically pure cattle from the 1800s have roamed wild since then. It is a controversy because the US gov't wants them destroyed, lest they change the ecosystems on islands they have lived wild on for a century and a half.
Anyway, ranchers have battled the bears here on Kodiak since the beginning, and some years back, a couple of them decided to try bison instead, since they fare better with the bears. They also don't stay inside fences. So now there are herds of bison roaming free, and the courts decided that they are still the property of their owners, not fish and game, so there are no impossible-to-win lotteries, guide requirements, trophy fees, etc.
You just pay the owners, and go out and hunt them. I understand the cost is about $3,000 for each animal.

Moose are probably not large enough to stop that load, Musk Oxen and state-managed bison are hard to draw a tags for and expensive if you are a non-resident, bear require guides, so they are expensive too. So these bison are a pretty good deal for a hunt in Alaska.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

vancelw wrote: Oooo, me! me! (my hand is up if you can't see it. :D ) I'd be tickled to SEE some of those in the wild, even if I didn't necessarily get a chance to shoot one or more. Getting the meat home would be an issue, so that curbs my excitement some. I had a lot of soul searching to do to get my mind right for hunting in Africa. Once I was assured the meat would not go to waste and I would be able to taste it all while there, I could come to grips with it.
Oh,the meat is no problem. I have two freezers. :lol:

Actually, the airlines and the shippers here are good about moving meat and fish out of state.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Oh,the meat is no problem. I have two freezers. :lol:

How thoughtful of you! :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote:
7.62 wrote:Oh,the meat is no problem. I have two freezers. :lol:
How thoughtful of you! :D
Sounds like a win-win situation :D ....except it might get expensive when I fly up for grilled steaks every weekend :shock:

Alaska is one of the 8 states I haven't made it to, yet.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

CRS, its been some years, but didn't you do some work on using larger weight for caliber bullets or lengthened cartridges in that rifle? Can you please tell us more about it again?

I've always admired that rifle of yours! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Tutt,
Yes. The chamber was lengthened 25-30 thousandths to allow a 400 grain Woodleigh .411 bullet to crimp on the cannelure and seat short of the rifling.
A good DG load at 2080 fps.
I did several posts here during the process and then a story on the cape buffalo hunt in RSA.
With solids, I would be happy to take on an elephant with that rifle.