Looking for a dog for my boy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Looking for a dog for my boy

Post by ScottT »

I am really thinking hard about a jagterrier as I had a cross bred terrior when I was a kid and he was a very versitile friend and companion.

http://germanjagdterrier.net/the_cumber ... ck_002.htm

I would also consider what we used to call a "Feist" but I don't see them around anymore.

Anybody know where I can find one?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think that a suitable choice for a boy having that name... :lol:

We hardly see feists around here now and in WV, VA and KY they seemed to differ in conformation. If you're looking for something like a Jack Russell they should be pretty easy to find.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Get a pound dog. Give another dog a chance at life.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have been looking at pound dogs and I had intended on adopting one. But I must tell you that many of the pound dogs around here show signs of pit bull or chow heritage. Neither is what I really need for my boy. I probably looked at better than 100 pound dogs so far and I am not encouraged by what I am seeing. Kits if dogs seem to have been abused and might be fear biters. It is sad.

It is a good idea, but I am not encouraged.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I've always wanted an Irish Terrier. They are not large dogs, but their heart and soul is HUGE. The are referred to as Daredevil Dogs and served as messengers during WWI. They are very affectionate and protective towards their owners and are excellent with children. They do not care for other dogs however and their Terrier instincts will have them fight to the death.

Of course, as a former K-9 cop I would also recommend a German Shepherd. They are loyal and smart and very pack oriented. Once the puppy is taught his place in the pecking order of the family they can actually help parents to watch small children. They are not overly aggressive but can go from zero aggression to hero protector if need be. It is all in how they are raised.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Maybe pick your breed and do a search on www.petfinder.com ,then save that search and they will email you every time a new one is added to petfinders.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I think ol' Norman had it right with this one.

Here's mine.

[/img]
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The Jagterrier looks like a German version of the Parson Jack Russel Terrier - JRT for short. I highly recommend the JRT to anyone who enjoys a good hunting chum and a loving friend. I have had 3 or them over the years, and all of mine have been good with kids.

Here is my buddy, Little Joe.

Image :wink:

He is now 14 years old and going strong.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Beagles rule. Or at least they think they do.

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you can't find the terrier you're looking for , might consider a Shelty.
All of them I've been around are smarter than a whip, and love kids.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

A boy who grows up with a German Shepherd Dog will have a very positive outlook on life and will become an honorable, dedicated, productive citizen.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Another beagle vote. When we move this summer we will be looking to get another one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I like dachshunds and have owned several - one when I was a boy - but they can be delicate. I also had a beagle as a boy and she was a great dog. However, one of my sons currently has a Jack Russell and she is one of the best companion dogs I have ever seen - also likes to hunt and will travel well in the car. Her only shortcoming is hair shedding but she's pretty perfect in every other regard.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

My kids all grew up with rottweilers. A rottie will kill to protect those he loves and yet they are the biggest sooks on the planet, sort of like a 100 pound lap dog :lol: and I actually have an old pic were one of ours has climbed onto the settee and curled up on our then 10 year old son.
I've always liked beagles as well though never owned one, and my brother used to own a jackrussell and I found the idea of a dog constantly in hyperdrive to be too much like hard work.
meanc I love the look of that dog, he looks like he has the wisdom of the world stored in that head of his.
I wouldn't totally dismiss those pound puppys because of the pitbull in them, from what I have seen pitbulls have tenacity bred into them, and that can be used, but aggression is something they learn.
Someone on here mentioned fear biting, and any dog and especially terriers can bite out of fear or because they are hurt by a careless child.
Last edited by gundownunder on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I had a Fiest that a friend gave me to train to tree squirrels. He was a bit high strung to be a pet, but he was a heck of a squirrel dog! I have a book at work from the American Treeing Fiest Association. I'd be glad to PM you Monday with some contacts if you are interested.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
CindyLea
Levergunner

Post by CindyLea »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:A boy who grows up with a German Shepherd Dog will have a very positive outlook on life and will become an honorable, dedicated, productive citizen.
+1

I can leave Dee-oh-Gee (say it out loud) with Harlea (turns 1 tomorrow) in the living room while I am in the kitchen. He'll come get me if she moves to far.

We got him when he was just a puppy, so that helps some too. But he has survived 4 kids, and has the patience of Job. He also does very well with the other dog and the kitten.

And he lets me know if anything is going on anywhere on the block! But very seldom leaves the yard unless he has permission.

CindyLea Leatham
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bond with a Terrier, and they'll never leave your side.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MtnGun
Levergunner

Post by MtnGun »

Scott,
Jagts are great dogs. Don't know how you could go wrong. You might also consider a Patterdale Terrier.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Border Collie. If you have enough room to keep them occupied. You will never find a dog more dedicated and loyal to it's owner. Border Collies love their masters so much it's like they try and crawl up inside of you. Intelligent to a fault, easy to train, love to please. A little energetic, and if you don't keep them busy, they will find something to do. They need a purpose, but I don't think I will ever own another breed. They will Frisbee, fetch balls, hunt, herd, protect, and lay with you on the couch just to be near you.

We had one that would play all day long, until we would wear her out and then she would take her Frisbee and hide until she got a little rest. She didn't like us rough housing with the kids though, and would just gently nip us on the butt if we got rough to let us know she was keeping tabs on us. I asked my wife: "how do we discourage that?". Decided we shouldn't and just put up with the occasional nips and watched how rough we got :)

Had another that would try and talk to us. She would hunt, if you would listen to her. Tree squirrels but would only bark once and wait for you to show up. Coon hunted with her once and she did fine, matter of fact, when I shot one young coon, she jumped on the carcass and wooled it around. I told her: "you killed it, you pack it home" and she picked it up and started dragging it to the house.

Long story short, if you want to train them to do something they will do it. But you need to give them a Scottish, Irish, or Welsh name...it's only proper. Ours were Bonnie, Billie, Lilith, and now Keira...

Ed
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Another vote for the beagle, this little guy is the most loving and loyal dog I have ever known. He will be 6 this year.

A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

These guys might know where you could find a Fiest. They are still around.

http://www.sqdog.com/
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I'm obviously biased, but an Airedale terrier is some kind of dog. Bridget ("Biddie") Griffin, the present holder of my heart, will probably bury me. I first rescued one, (Ned Kelly) and then raised Paddy O'Reilly from a pup. He made the move from Massachusetts down here. He's buried in the front yard overlooking the river. Biddie is a bona fide rebel dog from a farm in Sperryville. Check into the Airedale. Theodore Roosevelt once said of them, "The Airedale can do anything another dog can do, and then whip him if he has to."
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

A Catahoula Leopard Dog (Many can be rescued if you do a search).

My best dog ever (don't tell my current Catahoula, Rex!) was a Catahoula/Bluetick coonhound mix that we found through Petfinder. Smart, obedient, and a natural hunter. I'd get another of those in an instant.

Catahoulas are hunters and herders with natural instincts. Rex is a real good boy and a fine pal.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

airedaleman wrote:I'm obviously biased, but an Airedale terrier is some kind of dog. Bridget ("Biddie") Griffin, the present holder of my heart, will probably bury me. I first rescued one, (Ned Kelly) and then raised Paddy O'Reilly from a pup. He made the move from Massachusetts down here. He's buried in the front yard overlooking the river. Biddie is a bona fide rebel dog from a farm in Sperryville. Check into the Airedale. Theodore Roosevelt once said of them, "The Airedale can do anything another dog can do, and then whip him if he has to."
I wanted an Airedale but my wife thinks they're too big to suit her.

I've seen a lot of dogs, friends' and family dogs, and never met but two that didn't get along with me. BOTH were Chihuahuas! One would bite me every time I moved. The other just bared his teeth. I think that if you bring a dog into your "pack" and make him or her confident of their place in the pack you'll have a pal for life. WHICH breed doesn't matter, i.e. it is whatever you feel comfortable with. BUT you already knew that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

airedaleman wrote:I'm obviously biased, but an Airedale terrier is some kind of dog.
Rex was the airedale that my grandparents had when my dad left home. I've heard all kinds of stories about him. He was my uncle's almost constant companion. He also teemed up with Goliath (the chihuahua) to hunt rabbits. Rex would run them into a brush pile, Goliath would go in after them while Rex would circle around to the other side and clobber them as they came squirting out with the redeyed mexican pitbull behind them. My family's had a high regard for airedales ever since ol' Rex and various members of the family have owned them. They're on the large side which isn't bad if you've got plenty of room and would make a good defense mechanism for your son, Scott. They don't know when they've been whupped, which apparently never happens anyway - not while there's a breath in their body. A small dog such as a feist or JRT can be a great companion but doesn't have the fear factor when it comes to strangers coming around the place. There's something about a big ol' airedale that makes folks thing twice 'bout arriving unannounced and uninvited. They also tend to be patient to a fault when a youngster decides to play cops and robbers or Lone Ranger and Tonto - with the airedale taking the brunt of the festivities. Shucks, they can even be trained to pull a wagon, thereby doing both dog and pony duty for one entry fee and maintenance cost... ;) :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hobie wrote: I've seen a lot of dogs, friends' and family dogs, and never met but two that didn't get along with me. BOTH were Chihuahuas! One would bite me every time I moved. The other just bared his teeth.
Hobie, you know that most dogs are good judges of character! :P But, in the case of Chihuahuas, that rule don't apply. :wink: Never met one that wasn't a mean little &%@#! :shock:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Hobie wrote: I've seen a lot of dogs, friends' and family dogs, and never met but two that didn't get along with me. BOTH were Chihuahuas! One would bite me every time I moved. The other just bared his teeth.
Hobie, you know that most dogs are good judges of character! :P But, in the case of Chihuahuas, that rule don't apply. :wink: Never met one that wasn't a mean little &%@#! :shock:

The resident J Bar T mexican pitbull is called "Peanut" - due to the size of his brain, I'm sure. After I've been there a while he warms up to me. If I step outside to get something out of the car or something he goes spastic on me again when I come back in the house. Then it's another while 'til he comes 'round again. My biggest complaint about those critters is that they can KILL you - when you trip over them 'cause you didn't see 'em down there.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Scott,
IIRC your boy should be about 5 or so now. I might have that wrong, but I would think something like a blue heeler or some other kind of herding dog like that might be a good choice. They'll have a tendency to look after the boy more than just a companion dog.

There was a Sunday morning news show that had a story not long ago about a farrier who has a Dog named "Skitboot" IIRC. His dog was a blue heeler and was VERY smart. He does all kinds of tricks, that's why he was on TV.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If you have room for one to run around. Afgan Hounds are great with kids and they love to chase rabbits. We had one when I was a kids i still miss him.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

No one mentioned spaniels, probably for a good reason. They're probably not best in that climate.

On a ranch near Tyler I met a hound that was short haired and red color. I don't know the breed name, but he seemed suited to the ranch life. He loved gunfire, that's what got him to cruise over from the neighbor's place, and he chased the bullet impacts like he expected to find something to stand on.

He was very tractable and friendly with the complete strangers he met and was probably bored to run off when he got loose, time to party.

It seemed to me that was a great TX dog.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Rusty wrote:Scott,
IIRC your boy should be about 5 or so now. I might have that wrong, but I would think something like a blue heeler or some other kind of herding dog like that might be a good choice. They'll have a tendency to look after the boy more than just a companion dog.

There was a Sunday morning news show that had a story not long ago about a farrier who has a Dog named "Skitboot" IIRC. His dog was a blue heeler and was VERY smart. He does all kinds of tricks, that's why he was on TV.
The Amazing Skidboot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BfzUIBy9A

See related videos. Skidboot passed away in 2007.

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Grizzly,

I just got up after my nap and it came to me that youtube might have been where I saw that story. I was going to post it.

I'll bet that's one sad cowboy without that dog.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Rusty wrote:Scott,

The Amazing Skidboot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BfzUIBy9A

See related videos. Skidboot passed away in 2007.
Thanks for that...
Sincerely,

Hobie

RAC
Levergunner

Post by RAC »

Scott, I see feist puppies for sale in the local paper occasionally. You might try some smaller town's local paper or something like a Thrifty Nickel. There is probably not much squirrel hunting with dogs around San Antonio.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

We used to hunt squirrels all the time. A good dog and a sharp eye will get you a bag full of bushytails!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have to go with a St. Bernard. I have one that will be one year old in July. They just love kids and they're family, if somebody knocks on your door they will be the first to let you know, and they will know you have a big dog in there too with the deep low "WOOOF" they make kinda like hitting a 55gal. drum.

They do like people in general but can be trained to defend just as any other dog. Mine thinks he's a 140lb. lap puppy. (His dad is 220lb.) Just this morning I was woken up my the big guy using me as a sleeping pad, pretty funny that me and him are the same weight.

They have alot of intimidation factor as well with just their size, and they're built like tanks. They do drool some but not bad, just while eating, drinking, and vigorous play. They fully mature at the age of 3 and can't play really hard until after that age. They don't need alot of room, they do need exercise but will entertain themselves. They love naps and the couch, but take up much of the couch.

However they absolutely hate heat!!! And require massive amounts of water like 2+ gallons a day. Training is easy with patience as they are very stubborn.

They are a great dog for someone willing to work with them. Just invite one into your home and love them for what they are, everytime they look at you with those big saggy eyes and droopy lips you'll see what I mean.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Boys,

Much as I like big dogs (particularly big labrador retrievers) this is going to have to be a small good natured dog.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I wanted an Airedale but my wife thinks they're too big to suit her.
Hobie - Show her these and maybe she'll change her mind -

They were only 30# three years ago when we got them -

I'd be the first to admit Mastiffs aren't for everyone but it might help to let her know you could be wanting a really big dog and maybe influence her to compromise a little - :wink:

:lol:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I'll bet they poop a wheelbarrow full a week!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

ScottT wrote:I'll bet they poop a wheelbarrow full a week!
Well, quite q bit - but I have a large back yard (1/2 acre) zoned for rustic and only a tiny patch of grass (wife Bonnie has more carpet to clean than I have grass to mow) and the dogs are "yard trained" - so to speak. The buffalo grass up there grows tall in the summer, though - requiring a good weed whacker. :roll:

Don't have a summer pic but this gives you the idea - :wink:

:lol:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:Boys,

Much as I like big dogs (particularly big labrador retrievers) this is going to have to be a small good natured dog.
Then it'd be hard to beat a good beagle. They're great with kids, usually, and smart. Down side is that they also tend to have all the stubbornness of a full sized hound - only condensed and concentrated to fit their small frame. :D I miss our little beagle bitch. She was smart as could be, I taught her things long after she had become an "old dog". The saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" should be ammended to "you can teach a stupid old dog new tricks". She was not stupid, and all it took was a bit of time to get new ideas through her mind. I've not had much experience with the smaller breeds other than beagle. A friend has wire haired terriers. Kind of like miniature airedales. They're pretty smart, and active too. Don't know how good they are with kids, but he's got two grandkids and don't think they've had any problems.

That Petfinder link up above has all kinds of dogs listed. No telling what you might find that way. Don't tell the missus - but I'm seriously thinking about looking up our own local "society for the prevention of cruelty to animals" just to see what's around. A good mixed breed is what I grew up with, the down side being that finding the same mix is next to impossible. :D
Paul - in Pereira

model55
Levergunner 3.0

dogs

Post by model55 »

Have had a few all different I think the gentilest was a keshound (spelling?)x but have had a jack russel cross (smartest ,w/o reverse gear ) an afghan which was the fastest dog I've ever seen(also no reverse gear ).Afghans are sight hounds so be fore warned if it sees a rabbit it will go.Labs- absolute love and not afraid when someone comes to the door .First lab and afghan used to trap people at the door one would wait on the porch the other would circle behind till I said it was okay then they thought they were lap dogs.Aussies are great too but can be really clingy.Think that will be my retirement dog.Jack russels (
all terriers ), afghans and rotties all think they are alpha dog (Boss ).Think the boy would love any of them.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't have much firsthand experience with dogs, but a girl up the street from us was attacked by her terrier when she was a toddler, he tore her face up pretty bad. She had huge scars where her cheek was ripped. So I don't know if that's the best choice for a young boy.

My mother was bitten by her cocker spaniel when she was little.

On the other hand, my next door neighbor had a beagle who went with us all the time, he was good natured and a great dog, not excitable, never snapped, etc.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have a nephew that was bitten on the face by a cowdog. He was very young at the time and now he still fears and mistrusts all dogs. I would rather avoid that with Jaeger.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Scott,
I decided to get a Jack Russel/Feist cross pup for my grandkids (ages 4 and 2), and to also serve as a replacement for my old Feist Bosco that left here a few months ago. He was 14 years old, and likely went off to die, or was taken down by another dog or perhaps coyotes. Anyway, I think the Jack Feist will be a good choice. I hate going through the puppy phase, but it will most likely be best for the kids. Also, it growing up around chickens would be less likely to want to kill them all the first day, as might be the result of bringing home an adult dog.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

ScottT wrote:Boys,

Beagle would be first choice IMHO. Stalwart little dogs and not much tendency to bite. It also sounds a little weird but small poodles are good hunting and companion dogs - just don't do the strange hair-do's always seen on the dogs shows.

Like I said earlier, dachshunds are my favorite but anything larger than a miniature will likely get fat and have back problems. None of mine are larger than 12 lbs and they are hellacious small hunting dogs - better than cats for catching mice and snakes. I also like small blue heelers and Australian Shepherds but they both will bite - too much dingo to be dependable around kids.

There are just so many choices - any companion sized dog (<20 lbs) could be a good selection.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Well, there is an alterior motive here too. Daddy wants a small dog to help with blood trails on wounded deer.

I think I am narrowed down to a beagle or a jagdterrior. Maybe a wire haired dachshund.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ScottT wrote:Well, there is an alterior motive here too. Daddy wants a small dog to help with blood trails on wounded deer.

I think I am narrowed down to a beagle or a jagdterrior. Maybe a wire haired dachshund.

Dachshunds make good blood trailers, I saw some place on the 'net a while back talking about that. Here's a couple links:

http://www.born-to-track.com/trackfest.html

http://www.thetroutbum.com/messageboardfr.htm

One of my uncles has had dachshunds over the years. Nice little dogs, can be a bit nippy. Picking up a pup and raising it 'round the family would probably prevent a lot of that. Another uncle had some kind of crossbred dachshund, a couple of them. Smart little tykes.

Anyway, I know nothing about the jagdterrier, but both beagle and dachshund make great family dogs, and should be trainable for your ulterior motive purposes... :D One advantage to the beagle is that nice hound type voice. I loved hearing our when she'd get onto a cat trail (what can I say? city raised, only stray cats to pursue - and then only through our limited yard) I always wished I could get her out of town and into some place where she could REALLY hunt.
Paul - in Pereira

Twinsfan
Levergunner

Post by Twinsfan »

We have a long haired Jack Russell that is convinced he is human. Gets treated that way too. No one would get close to my wife and kids with him around. The long haired Jack Russells shed very little and they are one of the most loyal breeds I've known. We also have a lab and a mixed breed pound dog. All of our dogs are great with kids. The lab does like to jump though so probably wouldn't be as good with smaller kids. I have always wanted a beagle too and just picked one out today, although it won't be ready to be weaned for another four weeks.
I am King of my castle; I do whatever I want, whenever I want to, ...... as long as my wife says it's OK.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I vote Charlie Brown's companion.I have a Beagle named "Ivan".I adopted him as a puppy that was thrown from a moving pickup truck(sic) :cry: .My Beagle is stubborn at times, but obeys.At alert he sounds off like a full size coon dog with the economy of a small tummy.Bunnies and Skwerls are a labor of joy for him. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."