30 Carbine Ammunition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

30 Carbine Ammunition

Post by RustyJr »

Well, I have found my M1 Carbine (thanks Bill). Now the search is on for ammuntion. Have ordered some Armscor, Augila, and Remington (all 110 grain FMJ) to try. Anyone know of a source for commercially loaded soft point loads? I see that Hornady makes a self defense load but haven't seen much else. I'm thinking I may need to reload if I'm wanting a soft point load if I want something other than what hornady offers.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 30 Carbine Ammunition

Post by InTheWoods »

Of the tests I have read in the past, Remington soft points are the 'Gold Standard' in this caliber. These are what I keep loaded in my carbine magazines. The only thing I have killed with the Remington's was a groundhog and they (it), of course, worked well.

I also have some Prvi Partizan soft-point ammo that functions just fine. The good thing about the Prvi soft-point ammo is that, at the time, it sold for the same price as their FMJ stuff. I think I bought these at Graf's.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Inthewoods,
How is the Privi Partisan ammo in general? Have read mixed reviews on it.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Gleedaniel13
Levergunner

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I do not have much knowledge in ammunition as long as I have an ammo then that is fine. :lol: I am hoping that you will give any clarifications here. :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just got three boxes of the Hornady Critical Defense stuff and two boxes of the Privi soft point as well .

Won't have a chance to shoot any until perhaps early may .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

RustyJr wrote:Inthewoods,

RustyJr

I haven't tried any calibers from this maker other than the carbine stuff, and only that in limited quantities. It works fine and not remarkable in any way. I would buy it again, especially since it may be about the cheapest soft point available.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

InTheWoods wrote:
RustyJr wrote:Inthewoods,

RustyJr

I haven't tried any calibers from this maker other than the carbine stuff, and only that in limited quantities. It works fine and not remarkable in any way. I would buy it again, especially since it may be about the cheapest soft point available.
I tried some of this in .32 ACP. I was not impressed. Very dirty ammo. I hope that is not the case with the .30 Carbine ammo!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Winchester and Remington both make or made a 110 gr JSP for the .30 carbine. Should still be able to find both.

I've shot a few thousand rounds of Prvi Partizan in 5.56, 7.62 and 7.92mm, as well as some hunting loads in 7X57mm.

Average to good quality consistent with any other western European company.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

If you do get into reloading the 30 Carbine, go for 13.0gr H110, a little bit lighter than factory and VERY accurate (at least in my Inland carbine) with whatever 110gr bullet you care to try. HTH
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have had good luck with Speer 110 gr. soft lead point.