I got $999 problems...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

I got $999 problems...

Post by Panzercat »

...But a Police Trade-In Mini-14 ain't one of them.

Picked these guys a week ago online from Sportsman's Outdoor. Their ad went live on slickdeals at 6pm. I caught it at 9pm and made a command decision: I bought two for a cool $499 each. You don't see them used at that price, let alone police trade-ins. Inventory was gone by morning. I waited out two weeks between shipping and my FFL's schedule, worried about the condition. The online vendor picture showed a couple of pretty beat-up pieces, so I was expecting a project-- Full strip of the stock, steaming out the dents, refinish, etc. And if I got a beat up synthetic stock, I'd be SOL.

As you can see, it doesn't look like I made out half bad. I know virtually nothing about them except that they are older model types with the straight barrel, so probably pre-2003. Supposedly i can call Ruger up and get the history behind both, so I'll probably be doing so just to establish provenance. While there's wear, it's honest wear, not abusive and I'm not overly eager to touch it. They have character and i'm good with that.

Will shoot them tomorrow and see how that turns out. Given their reputation for reliability, I'm not expecting problems.

I'm a Mini-14 n00b and only know what any rube can find off the interwebs, having bought them mainly for "investment" purposes. Still, they're sexy looking rifles. Glad I got one in stainless and blued. Almost wanna keep one :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I got $999 problems...

Post by Streetstar »

Panzercat wrote:...But a Police Trade-In Mini-14 ain't one of them.

Picked these guys a week ago online from Sportsman's Outdoor. Their ad went live on slickdeals at 6pm. I caught it at 9pm and made a command decision: I bought two for a cool $499 each. You don't see them used at that price, let alone police trade-ins. Inventory was gone by morning. I waited out two weeks between shipping and my FFL's schedule, worried about the condition. The online vendor picture showed a couple of pretty beat-up pieces, so I was expecting a project-- Full strip of the stock, steaming out the dents, refinish, etc. And if I got a beat up synthetic stock, I'd be SOL.

As you can see, it doesn't look like I made out half bad. I know virtually nothing about them except that they are older model types with the straight barrel, so probably pre-2003. Supposedly i can call Ruger up and get the history behind both, so I'll probably be doing so just to establish provenance. While there's wear, it's honest wear, not abusive and I'm not overly eager to touch it. They have character and i'm good with that.

Will shoot them tomorrow and see how that turns out. Given their reputation for reliability, I'm not expecting problems.

I'm a Mini-14 n00b and only know what any rube can find off the interwebs, having bought them mainly for "investment" purposes. Still, they're sexy looking rifles. Glad I got one in stainless and blued. Almost wanna keep one :D

Those are GB models with the bayonet lug and flash hider ---- very nice

------ i might could internalize some reasons for keeping 2 GB's myself ---- i have wanted one of these since i got an M1A last year - i figured it could use a little brother --- had a folding stock GB model back in the 90's -- sold it and built an AR instead (in 1996) --- the Mini couldnt hang with the AR from an accuracy standpoint, --- but if i had known then what i do now, i would have played around with bullet weights and powders until i found something it liked.

I didnt have much money then (not much now either ) -- but i would just indiscriminately shoot steel cased Wolf ammo for very low cost --- surprisingly the AR's still shot it well, but the mini dint tolerate it as well

Have fun with those rifles -- thats quite a find for that type of coin :) :)
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cool. A couple more of those, 3 more guys and a Cigar, and you can be The A Team...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You're braver than me....I've seen the way the local PD treats their Mini-14s.... :(
You know, slam the bolt on the tailgate to break the action free....clean it every 20 years or 10000 rounds whether it needs it or not...

Looks like you got some good ones.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They really are 'Mini' M-14's, only semiautomatic, and unfortunately without the accuracy most of the time, but they ARE reliable and plenty accurate for battling ranch-varmints.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Serial on the Stainless one indicates a 1987 production date.
The blued indicates 1998.

Approximately, according to Ruger's website. I'll have to call them to know more.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

At that price, that's a great deal. Two great little 'truck guns'.

Do an internet search on re-aligning the gas block.

Replace the rear sight with a smaller peep and you'll increase perceived accuracy.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have found the accuracy disappointing.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Oh, Heavens. Here we go again.

(grin)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Took both out today for a limited run. Both are fully operational and shoot without problems. Action is smooth as snot, especially on that stainless one. Would figure if they've been shot a lot, but I sprayed it with a decent amount of lube just in case. Trigger seems a tad heavy, but not cripplingly so. Accuracy didn't appear horrible, but today was just a beta test of the pair and my back from repair AR. They look nice and inspire a brief flash of lust, but I still like my (now working flawlessly) AR better. They definitely have that truck gun feel tho.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Panzercat wrote:Took both out today for a limited run. Both are fully operational and shoot without problems. Action is smooth as snot, especially on that stainless one. Would figure if they've been shot a lot, but I sprayed it with a decent amount of lube just in case. Trigger seems a tad heavy, but not cripplingly so. Accuracy didn't appear horrible, but today was just a beta test of the pair and my back from repair AR. They look nice and inspire a brief flash of lust, but I still like my (now working flawlessly) AR better. They definitely have that truck gun feel tho.
Police carbines are much like police sidearms --- there are a few cops out there that shoot all the time , but far more who just shoot the bare minimum -- plus, a patrol carbine is not out of the car very often (unless its in St Louis, Detroit, etc etc )

After tinkering with AR's for years now, -- i concede they work great , but man -- that traditional little battle rifle with the wood stocks sure looks sporty in comparison to all that plastic and aluminum on the AR's --- it'd fun to see if i could improve on the results i had with my last one now that i know enough to not use the absolute cheapest ammo available for accuracy testing

If that "brief flash of lust" dies down a little bit on one or the other of these, hit me up in a PM :) I have seen these GB models come up for sale on a few occasions but i always hear about it the next week
----- Doug