Seen a Hodgdon employee today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Seen a Hodgdon employee today

Post by hondo1892 »

I seen a gentleman that work's for Hodgdon's today and was asking him about pistol powder. He told me that they are having a time getting powder to keep up with demand. He told me they can't get enough pistol or shotgun powder for the demand right now. I didn't know until today but they don't make any smokeless powder at all. They import it from Canada and Australia mostly. I know him through muzzleloading gun associations not modern firearms. We usually talk black powder not smokeless. He told me that 75% of the black powder they produce goes to the military. Sporting use is a very small percentage of sales for black powder. I keep looking for some titegroup every place that carries powder but so far nothing. Thought some of you guys might interested.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Seen a Hodgdon employee today

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I found Titegroup yesterday for $35 a lb. Needless to say I kept walking, I have a lead on another store that supposedly has Titegroup in stock for $21 a lb.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Titegroup is actually one of the few pistol powders I've seen in stack in the past 2 years. Some of the dealers at Tulsa actually had acceptable prices....some didn't.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Must be like houses, location, location, location. Haven't seen none around any of the shops in central Kentucky that I've been to. Not really any pistol powder to speak of.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Last weekend was the first time I had seen ANY pistol powder in stock anywhere in two years...at any price.

Titegroup, H110, and very small quantities of AA#5. The #5 was repacked in #1 lb containers...looked a little sketchy to me :?

Some dealers were high (35 a lb) some were better (28 a pound) none were where we'd like it to be.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have seen small shops in WV off the beaten path that had everything (almost) on my last trip through a few months ago. Even ammo of every type up .50 BMG. Prices were average to high but they had most items even .380.
It is not the critic who counts
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Interesting. I had no idea they imported all their smokeless powder.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I would worry about the importation of lead next. That will really slow things down even more. There are no more lead smelters in the USA. Only China now has them.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I suspect the thing to do is to place it on back order, and see if they will hold it until it can all ship under one HazMat fee.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I suspect the thing to do is to place it on back order, and see if they will hold it until it can all ship under one HazMat fee.....
+1. In more'n 1 lb jugs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mexico has lead smelters.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I suspect the thing to do is to place it on back order, and see if they will hold it until it can all ship under one HazMat fee.....
+1. In more'n 1 lb jugs.
A couple of 8lb jugs of pistol powder would prolly hold me forever, plus, all the Blue Dot, and 2400, and some others I've bought up just to stash aside.....16lbs of H322 :lol: I can feed that Sharps forever. I really should organize that mess and see what I really have. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Mescalero wrote:Mexico has lead smelters.
Are they allowed to import to the US? Last I had hear the EPA and other letter agency's were only allowing China to import. I may be wrong, but that was last I heard.

Steve
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

What happen to free trade with Mexico?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Most bird shot now comes from Peru.
I would imagine other forms of lead could also be imported.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I looked up the lead imports from Mexico, latest data (2010) was 30,000 metric tons.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I hope none of the lead gets banned, I must have confused myself again, it aint hard. But,it would still be better if here in the US, we still had a smelter.

Steve
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I thought the smelter in Glover, Mo. was still running.

Post by Larkbill »

Wow, gone since '03, didn't realize I'd been stuck here in the city so long. Used to fish near there all the time. Now all I do is work.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

This morning I received into inventory a 67# lead ingot. Country of origin is USA. 99.99% pure for use in alloys we make for electronic industry. Not all users are Rohs so still have uses for lead.
Pierre
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is true that powder is produced here in Canada, but for some lunatic reason I was told it is shipped in bulk to the USA where it is packaged in plastic bottles and then shipped back to Canada. As a result, we have no powder up here. If they are worried about the packaging plant exploding, we have a million square miles of wilderness. I can't see why they could not open up a small packaging plant here in Canada out in the sticks.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Kirk, my Hodgdon guy said the only plant they worry about blowing up is the black powder plant. Which happens all too often. Black powder is easy to make but very hazardous. Smokeless is the opposite. They don't even have any people in the black powder plant when the ingredients are being mixed. It's all remotely done.