A good reason NOT to 'open carry'...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A good reason NOT to 'open carry'...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: A good reason NOT to 'open carry'...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Unless I'm in/going to/coming from the woods, I am not a fan of making myself a target... (OC)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There's only two reasons for open carry:

(1) A brazen act of ego.

(2) A brazen threat of force.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well duh! Concealment and surprise beats visible determent or intimidation every time. Why do you think those M/C cops sit behind the billboard!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

A crook may very likely look at your gun as his next 3-5-700$ score . The best defense can be to not provoke an incident in the first place
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:There's only two reasons for open carry:

(1) A brazen act of ego.

I tend to agree....but with some exceptions...

Right now, I can legally carry openly on my own properties....but not between them. Once open carry is passed, I can walk down the (short distance) to the pasture on the road without breaking the law. Or, if I'm headed to the house from deer camp, I can stop in the convenience store and buy bread, milk, whatever...without committing a crime because I forgot to take the sidearm off or cover it with a jacket.

Yes, for self defense or protection it needs to be concealed. The whole point of concealed carry is to not make yourself a target and to keep bad guys from knowing exactly who is and who isn't carrying.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

(1) A brazen act of ego.

I always carry openly in the woods, and around my property, but never in walmart. It's a tactical decision, not a philosophy.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If you're gonna be dumb and OC in town, at least carry something appropriate...

Full size, inexpensive, reliable.

A HiPoint comes to mind. :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Ironsights wrote:Unless I'm in/going to/coming from the woods, I am not a fan of making myself a target... (OC)
+1 The idea is to blend in and be invisible. Avoid any activity that makes you stand out for any reason to a criminal.
NRA Life Member
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

I agree with Fred.....

Paul
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, I'm in agreement with the forum on this one. I believe open carry should be legal, but I also think the "carrier" should have brains enough to stay out of crowded stores. Normal, everyday chores around town, keep it hid...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OC should be perfectly legal. Using it should entail common sense.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:Well duh! Concealment and surprise beats visible determent or intimidation every time. Why do you think those M/C cops sit behind the billboard!
Hmmm...
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Years ago one of my students came into class wearing a jacket, far too heavy for the weather.

As I was talking to him later, he said he would have loved to have taken the jacket off but couldn't.

"I've just come off duty and come straight to class. Under the jacket is my 38 S&W revolver in a shoulder holster"

He was a plainclothes detective. Things were much more relaxed in those days.

Cheers Mark
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:

(1) A brazen act of ego.

I tend to agree....but with some exceptions...

Right now, I can legally carry openly on my own properties....but not between them. Once open carry is passed, I can walk down the (short distance) to the pasture on the road without breaking the law. Or, if I'm headed to the house from deer camp, I can stop in the convenience store and buy bread, milk, whatever...without committing a crime because I forgot to take the sidearm off or cover it with a jacket.

Yes, for self defense or protection it needs to be concealed. The whole point of concealed carry is to not make yourself a target and to keep bad guys from knowing exactly who is and who isn't carrying.
I agree, and strongly feel Open Carry should be LEGAL, unless there is clear 'intimidation' going on (which is a crime even without a gun). Like many things, being 'legal' and being 'a good idea' are not always one and the same.

I hate having to cycle through all the cartridges in a levergun just because I cross the road that goes between my house/yard and riverbottom/field, but it's "illegal" not to. One reason I prefer the Ruger 96's with their detachable box magazines.

UPDATE: I guess he learned something - http://bearingarms.com/man-attacked-wal ... en-carry/?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Never had a reason to open carry as part of regular day to day discourse. I can for see it in the right company or event, but no reason to stand out, ya know?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Open Carry has always been in the Washington Constitution, and no city, county, etc can rewrite the law stricter than the state. Several years ago, an over-zealous constabulary started taking down persons that were OCing, and we had to be In Their Face, and have lawyers write letters to many a city council before we got it sorted out. It makes liberal heads explode, and might tempt thugs, but let's face it, a right unused is a right forfeited....Having said that, I no longer open carry in town.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Just because something is legal doesn't always make it a good idea.

-Stretch
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:It makes liberal heads explode, and might tempt thugs, but let's face it, a right unused is a right forfeited....Having said that, I no longer open carry in town.
If I did, I think I'd carry an AirSoft in an exposed holster, and my real handgun under my coat... :wink:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I can see the latest headlines by Idiots Against Guns... " Most Levergunners against Handguns"

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote::oops: I can see the latest headlines by Idiots Against Guns... " Most Levergunners against Handguns"
Heck, I have an unfavorable opinion of OCing Flintlocks & MBRs when out of context. (Parades, Protests, and Pretend...) I don't OPPOSE OC of ANYTHING (I want James Garner's Tank dammit) but in most cases it's as uncool as wearing nothing but a bathing suit... (especially you Blaine... ;) ) :lol:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote::oops: I can see the latest headlines by Idiots Against Guns... " Most Levergunners against Handguns"
Heck, I have an unfavorable opinion of OCing Flintlocks & MBRs when out of context. (Parades, Protests, and Pretend...) I don't OPPOSE OC of ANYTHING (I want James Garner's Tank dammit) but in most cases it's as uncool as wearing nothing but a bathing suit... (especially you Blaine... ;) ) :lol:
HEY, real men have curves. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Old Ironsights wrote:If you're gonna be dumb and OC in town, at least carry something appropriate...

Full size, inexpensive, reliable.

A HiPoint comes to mind. :roll:
If I was carrying a HIGHPOINT, CONCEALED would be my only option! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I like having the option: If I'm working on the fence line, I'm more often parked on the side of the county road. Fence line is full of snakes and I always carry the 10 when I'm working it. On one side of the fence I'm legal, on the other I'm not. If open carry is an option, I don't have to worry about it 8)
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

(1) A brazen act of ego.

There are places & situations in my state where ccw is illegal but OC is not illegal.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'd always thought that open carry would be a clear and visible deterrent, and concealed left you open to attack just like every other "soft" target. Maybe there is no "right" answer to the question.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gundownunder wrote:I'd always thought that open carry would be a clear and visible deterrent, and concealed left you open to attack just like every other "soft" target. Maybe there is no "right" answer to the question.
Sort of depends on your location.

Out here in Rural Wyoming, in most of the ranching communities, no one cares and only an abslute out-of-town fool would try to jack a man for his gun.
In some of the bigger towns, transient Energy Industry towns and Hippie Towns, the criminals are more Urban and the outsiders get their panties in a bunch, so if you OC in, say, Casper, Gillette or Jackson (forget Cheyenne or Laramie) it's more of an issue.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

While it should be legal and at times like some suggest it makes sense even, but in the city, not so much. Good to see common sense around here I agree with the most of you. That said I question open carry even on a cop. I don't know how many times I've been in line at McDonanld's behind a cop and all I can think is you got both your hands in front of you fiddling with your dang wallet and all I gotta do is pull your gun out of the holster and your ****. I know they want them handy, but they are so vulnerable its pathetic. Really surprised there is not more of this kind of thing. Of course you gotta be a nut job to steal a cops weapon, but just the same they walk amongst us.

Also can I add, if your going to carry openly at least get a proper ******* holster, and wear it where you can control it. I was in line at taco bell in seattle a year ago or so and some punk butt in front of me has his glock in a yaki style slide holster in the small of his back position. I didn't say anything to him but I should have.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Udy wrote:W... I don't know how many times I've been in line at McDonanld's behind a cop and all I can think is you got both your hands in front of you fiddling with your dang wallet and all I gotta do is pull your gun out of the holster and your ****. ...
Much, much harder than you think. Modern Kydex Retention Holsters require a good bit of training to get the gun out of when YOU are wearing it. It's (almost) impossible to snatch a gun out of one.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

gundownunder wrote:I'd always thought that open carry would be a clear and visible deterrent, and concealed left you open to attack just like every other "soft" target. Maybe there is no "right" answer to the question.

Its not nearly the deterent many seem to think it is.

On top of that, many that open carry use cheap, crappy holsters that have no retention features, and seem more intent on making a statement than being truly aware of whats going on around them.

On another forum this came up. Among the many comments from LEO's, one mentioned that he was aware of 5 instances, in his area, when people stole guns from open carriers. It was crimes of opportunity, and was orchestrated by several individuals in the majority of cases.

I carry openly out away from town in the hills, but have no desire to advertise when around criminal types.

Most LEO's use retention holsters, as was mentioned. It isnt simple to take a gun away from them. Despite many mediocre/poorly trained departments, there are many well trained ones, in weapon retention as well as other things. Many seek training enhancement on their own also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?