Stags for the old Colt?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Stags for the old Colt?

Post by OldWin »

My buddy gave me these old stags to try on my old Colt. They are fairly old I think but in good shape and fit my frame really well.
Of course, he is the same guy I got the Colt from sooooo..... :D

I had some old hard rubber on it before that weren't original to the gun anyway. The stags are a little thicker through than the hard rubber ones but my hands are a little big for the SAA frame anyway.

He hasn't said what he wants for em yet but I figure he may ask a hundred bucks. What do you guys think? I got no idea what they usually go for.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

OW
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stags for the old Colt?

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, $100 would be cheap @ twice the price, for stags as nice as those.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OMG those are gorgeous! :mrgreen: 8) :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys. They do look pretty good on it as the age of gun vs. grip is a good fit. The relief of the stag is very deep and gives a good feel.
The oldest boy was home this weekend and when I showed him it brought a long stare and a slow headshake. :D
He hasn't shot this gun yet, though I've had it many years. He wants to but we are waiting for the rest of the snow to go off the range.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Snow? It's be almost 90 here already (though 67 and raining today).

Have fun when it clears up!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ninety? Wow.

It's been warm here too. In the high 50's-60 for the last couple days. The snow is mostly gone in the open, but in the woods and shady areas its still hanging on. We hat a LOT of snow. :D

Then we have to wait for the end of "Mud Season".

There is a narrow window of good shooting between mud season and when the black flies come out.

"Maine, the way life should be." :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
They look like Sambar stag, probably 20 years old or older. They have that "look".

A C-note?.........highway robbery....but.......back in the late eighties and nineties, that's about what they were going for.........until someone in our State Dept. and PETA said something (I don't remember.) that importing Sambar stag was a bad thing....-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sambar is what real stag's are made of and dificult to find now. $100 would be thievery. Some people call Elk antler Stag (not me) many arguments have started over that.
Those look like real Sambar Stag to me.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Jack, Chuck,

Thanks a heap guys. I figured that'd be a good deal but though I'd ask here to get a better overall idea.
I'm gonna go see the guy Tuesday. Kinda guessing on the price but we have been friends a long time and he always
uses me real good.
I will keep you posted but I don't see me taking them off. :D
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

They do look good, thats for sure
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Use ebay or gunbroker to estimate the value. You would have a hard time touching stag grips anywhere near that quality for less than $150-200.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Sambar stag is pushing more like $375 new. If you can still find them new. Elk are $150 - $200.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nice looking old Colt, I think you should buy the grips and put them on. The first picture looks just like my Colt, a very early second generation 5 1/2 .45 the gun came with the stag grips on it. the left grip is almost identical to mine. I can't seem to use Photobucket anymore but I sure would like to post a picture of my Colt for you to see. In the morning I will try to get a picture on or email one to my grandson in Texas and he can post it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

JerryB wrote:Nice looking old Colt, I think you should buy the grips and put them on. The first picture looks just like my Colt, a very early second generation 5 1/2 .45 the gun came with the stag grips on it. the left grip is almost identical to mine. I can't seem to use Photobucket anymore but I sure would like to post a picture of my Colt for you to see. In the morning I will try to get a picture on or email one to my grandson in Texas and he can post it.
I had to put a few rounds through this thing a few weeks back.

"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That thing is just beautiful......so's the knife.

Stopped out to my buddies today but he wasn't in the shop.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, a fine old Colt does deserve nice grips. You'll be glad you put the on your gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

all classic examples, though I especially like the matched grips and knife scales.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Caught up with my buddy today. Like I figured, he let me have the stags for a hundred bucks.

I know he knows they are worth a lot more but that's just the kind of guy he is. I will even it up with him with something.

I started hanging out in his shop and bugging him as a sixteen year old kid. He taught me and helped me a lot.

Ain't many places or people like that anymore.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OldWin, reckon you must be proud to have a friend like that. Load up that Colt and carry it. I still enjoy carrying and shooting mine as much as I did when I got 56 years ago.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, I've packed that old hogleg all over.

I got the Colt from the same guy about fifteen years ago. It was one of his personal guns and I bugged him for it for many years.
For several years before he sold it to me (cheap), come hunting season he'd say "I think that old Colt needs to be lugged around and shot", and he would give it to me to use all fall. I'd shot it quite a bit before I owned it.

Needless to say, there ain't much I wouldn't do for the old feller.