My present from jnyork

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

My present from jnyork

Post by earlmck »

Last week fellow levergunner jnyork offered up a box of 30 Rem brass he'd rescued from his stash. I was the lucky recipient and the box showed up on the doorstep this morning. Big thanks, Jerry!

Since this is Winchester brand stuff and my other brass is Remington I was curious about the comparative case capacities. I poured 3 of the Wins and 3 of the Rems level full of Lil' Gun. They are exactly the same (45.2 +/- .1)! I'd expect more variation from different lots of the same brand -- makes me wonder if some factory didn't run off a huge vat of the stuff back there 50 years ago and everything we get is from that one run, no matter when we buy it or what headstamp is being exhibited.

No that doesn't seem likely but... I don't have a better explanation for different brands and very different ages matching perfectly. And then I did the same with some Win branded 30/30. This held half a grain less, but had just been trimmed and was .002 shorter than the 30 Rems which would totally account for the half grain.

Since I had them on the loading bench I went ahead and filled them up:
30RemLoads9409.jpg
This is a very pleasant plinking load (has received the granddaughter seal of approval from two different wimps) using 8.3 grains Green Dot behind the Lyman .309241 150 grain PB.
Cases have been run over the Lyman "M" die to give a bit of neck expansion for starting the cast bullet, the bullets pressed in the neck slightly in preparation for being seated the rest of the way using the old Nonte' shuffle that has been talked of previously on this forum. This seating depth doesn't match up with a groove: I finish with a light factory crimp from the Lee 30/30 FC die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: My present from jnyork

Post by Paladin »

Good deal, there are some good people on this forum.
It is not the critic who counts
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

jnyork is cool....... 8) 8) 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good Earl.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Glad to see the old soldiers being put to work. :D
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Paladin wrote:Good deal, there are some good people on this forum.
...there are some VERY good people with HUGE HEARTS on this forum... :)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Got the little note you sent me, Earl, thanks. Jerry