I Bought A New Combination Gun - Range Report Added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

I Bought A New Combination Gun - Range Report Added

Post by Pete44ru »

A Chiappa Double Badger .22WMR/.410 folding combi - which ought to work pretty well on called-in (close - 15-40 yards, hereabouts) Red Fox and/or Coyote with #4 buckshot.

Since .22/.410 Savage/Stevens 24 combi-guns are getting pricey, I readily ponied-up the $$$ - so, it's off to my gun club range for some familiarization.

First, however, I'll remove the sling swivels & explore how to make the gun fold tighter (probably just deepen the TG recess in the bottom of the forend).

EDIT: Here's the range report:

I first zeroed the .22 magnum barrel @ 50yds; this is the group I got with some old Winchester 40gr HP's.

I then moved up to 30yds from the same target and shot a 3" LE .410 loaded with #4 buck (shot) - which pretty much surrounded my POA, but just a tad high.

The rifle group measured about 2", center-to-center of the widest shots. (I was just shooting at a blank piece of cardboard, since I had stoopidly forotten to take some targets with me (DOH).

Both the rifle & shotgun triggers were smooth, with light-to-medium pulls.

The lever DID snap back against the bottom tang loudly, so I glued a small/thin piece of rubber there, which disappeared the noise.

Methinks I'm gonna take a few more different boxes of rifle ammo with me, the next time I take the DB to the range (CCI, Fiocchi, CCI .22 Special/.22WRF, etc).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed May 13, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: I Bought A New Combination Gun

Post by wecsoger »

Interesting...

Post more as you mess around with it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a new one to me. Please post a range report soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bitterly regret selling my Savage 24 and have looked on line at the new Savage 42, alas the 42 is sadly lacking compared to the 24.
The Double Badger looks a lot more promising, I already have a Marocchi o/u .410 which is very similar.
Please let us know how well it performs.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Will do.......... I removed both the front/rear sling swivels a few minutes ago, and found the the forend-mounted swivel doubles for attaching the FE to a barrel underlug.
I don't however, foresee any problem locating a dome head machine screw to replace it.

Then, about 15mins after I posted the OP, UPS showed up @ my door with the soft case I ordered.

The case is a 25" long Bulldog Assault Rifle case, I found while using my google-fu.

It has a nylon zipper, and it's own sling on one side, with some large magazine pockets and one large/square pocket on the other side.

The case was inexpensive enough @ $28 + S&H ($32, delivered)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri May 08, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Nice to see they improved the barrel band. The early ones were huge and crude.

Slow is just slow.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Neat! Is the rear sight dovetailed/could you put a receiver sight of some description on it?

Eric
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like it! Look forward to your report.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

yooper2 wrote:Neat! Is the rear sight dovetailed/could you put a receiver sight of some description on it?

Eric

The issue rear sight is a dovetail-mounted peep sight with a fibre-optic bead on each side for use in dim light conditions.

Ted, here's the review on the Double Badger, that instilled the confidence in me to buy one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rlpkr8kx4HM/U ... GP4105.jpg

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That looks like a fun gun to shoot, look forward to the report.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Just like the one I got last fall. It was pretty tight/hard to open at first but I loosened the two machine screws at the pivot point and lubed with penetrating oil and it got lots better. I used a vibrating etching tool and marked the sides of the triggers 22M/410 for quick visual ID. (I could never remember which one did what). I really like mine!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

The issue rear sight is a dovetail-mounted peep sight with a fibre-optic bead on each side for use in dim light conditions.
Slick arrangement!

Eric
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Any of you ever heard of a Stagg Built over and under? I believe the company was in Phoenix AZ. I had one in a 20 gauge/30-30. If you looked quick it looked like a hammerless Winchester 94. Opened with a lever. I remember trading a 1949 Ford panel truck for it.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That looks like a dandy little gun, the .22 mag gives it some longer range punch.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

How difficult is it to separate the front and rear sections? I wonder if it could easily be converted to a takedown.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The hinge pin is actually a floating solid pin, the same length as the action width, D/T'd in each end surface for an attachment screw on each end.
The screw heads are just a little bit larger than the hinge pin hole, so the pin cannot work itself out by the hinging action of operating the gun.

If one screw is replaced with a thumbscrew (like the one below, but shorter and threaded the same as the hinge pin ends), the hinge pin can then be withdrawn/pulled out, after the screw on the opposite side of the hinge pin is removed.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like it. Been considering a 24 or the badger in the same caliber for a camp rifle. I would have left the swivels on but that is just me. Like the sights. Looking forward to your report.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote:.

The hinge pin is actually a floating solid pin, the same length as the action width, D/T'd in each end surface for an attachment screw on each end.
The screw heads are just a little bit larger than the hinge pin hole, so the pin cannot work itself out by the hinging action of operating the gun.

If one screw is replaced with a thumbscrew (like the one below, but shorter and threaded the same as the hinge pin ends), the hinge pin can then be withdrawn/pulled out, after the screw on the opposite side of the hinge pin is removed.

Sounds like an easy enough conversion, thanks
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I had been wanting something in .22 mag and looked at the Little Badger, but opted for the Ruger American. I may need a Double Badger too. I already have an M6 in Hornet/.410 so that might be overkill, but can you really have too many guns?

Post by Pete44ru »

Larkbill wrote:
can you really have too many guns ?

I dunno - My friend & fellow gunclub member, who is also an FFL, is in the process of sorting & evaluation 800 ( yes, I said: eight HUNDRED . :shock: ! ! ) guns that belonged to a fella that passed away a short while back, and that his widow doesn't quite know what to do with. .

I told him that he ought to change his name to Bannerman............ :roll:

cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

Pete44ru wrote:
Larkbill wrote:
can you really have too many guns ?

I dunno - My friend & fellow gunclub member, who is also an FFL, is in the process of sorting & evaluation 800 ( yes, I said: eight HUNDRED . :shock: ! ! ) guns that belonged to a fella that passed away a short while back, and that his widow doesn't quite know what to do with. .

I told him that he ought to change his name to Bannerman............ :roll:

I hope she does not sell them for what he told her he paid for them.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Booger Bill wrote:Any of you ever heard of a Stagg Built over and under? I believe the company was in Phoenix AZ. I had one in a 20 gauge/30-30. If you looked quick it looked like a hammerless Winchester 94. Opened with a lever. I remember trading a 1949 Ford panel truck for it.
very nice guns; my son and I both have one [ he took mine so I found another ]
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I Bought A New Combination Gun - Range Report Added

Post by Pete44ru »

Range report added above.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That is a neat package Pete.
How is the shot gun choked?
How about trying a few slugs?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nath wrote:That is a neat package Pete.
How is the shot gun choked?
How about trying a few slugs?

N.
Thanks, Nath !

The .410 bbl has a full choke - which I'm reluctant to run slugs through, and why I bought a box of LEO buckshot ammo.

(Besides that, .410 slugs are specifally excluded for use during deer season here)

The squawk on it is:

These Nobel Sport Law Enforcement loads are manufactured to the rigid specifications of security and law enforcement personnel. Designed with performance in mind, these loads utilize specially selected propellant and projectiles to attain the best velocity ratios.

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

A couple of years ago I got the itch for a combination gun for deer hunting. I looked at a lot of them and settled on an affordable 12 gauge/.308 made by Baikal in Russia. So far I have two deer seasons on the gun and really like the versatility of it since I can use it for anything I hunt. I have shot two deer with it.
I am about ready to dispose of several of my rifles in favor of the "one gun for everything" concept.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I have a bunch of .22 WRMs and my Savage Model 24 over a .410 is the most accurate of all the long guns. That includes a custom .22 WRM barrel on my T-C G2, a Winchester Model 61M pump, and a Savage Model 93 "Classic" bolt action. The Winchester is the least accurate, which is odd considering that 61s in .22 LR are often pretty good. (Mine was made in 1960, the first year of manufacture and maybe they were still searching for the right barrel specs for their new ctg???).

And the .410 slugs hit very near the .22 barrel's 75 yard scope zero at 30 yards. I also shoot the Winchester 3" 000 buckshot thru the .410 barrel and it makes one ragged hole at about 10 yards, then three close together (w/in 3 1/2" of each other) with two flyers at 30 yards. Good enough to be lethal on coyotes or other intruders at that range.

Interesting to see your range report. Wonder how it would do with a scope? My 24 has an old Redfield 2 3/4X fixed scope in its scope grooves. Helps with my old eyes, for sure.

The Savage 42 is a GREAT concept, VERY poorly executed, IMO.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I had a Savage 24, hornet/12g .
The rifle barrel pretty much shot any load I stuffed in it. The sears were an easy fix but the pins were made of cheese so I made my own.
Heavy scoped, better unscoped. The rim fire versions are lighter.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While YMMV, I intend to stick with the FO sights that the Double Badger was issued with, since (having tried it a few times) I find that while a scope is OK for the rifle bbl, it makes popping a running Squill/Rabbit with the smoothbore iffy (even with a low-powered scope, like a 2x).

Me likey the woods-loafing/walking aspect of a nekked gun............. 8)