Six seconds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Six seconds

Post by Malamute »

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894c

Re: Six seconds

Post by 1894c »

thank you...I have nothing else to say...
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

What today is all about;
eagle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

This image of an eagle perched atop a gravestone was snapped at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minneapolis, Minnesota, by amateur photographer Frank Glick during the Spring of 2011. The symbolism of such a setting seems particularly apropos because the Bald Eagle is the national bird of the United States and features prominently in Great Seal of the United States, and images of eagles are associated with the concepts of freedom and patriotism and are commonly used in military insignia.

An article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune described how Frank Glick came to snap this striking photograph: It was a crow that first caught Frank Glick's attention. It was flying around erratically, so Glick got out his Nikon camera and followed it. It was around 6 a.m. on a hazy spring day and he was driving through Fort Snelling National Cemetery because he was early for a training meeting at Delta Airlines, where he works.

Glick is an amateur photographer, but he always carries his camera, just in case. So he followed the crow, in some cultures a symbol of good luck and magic, until he saw it: a huge eagle perched on a tombstone, its eyes alert, its head craned, looking for prey. In the foreground, dew glistened on the grass.

Glick got his shot.

The eagle had landed on the grave of Sgt. Maurice Ruch, who had been a member of the St. Anthony Kiwanis Club.

Maurie graduated from college in mechanical engineering in December of 1941 and enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Known for his keen eye, he became a rifle marksman and was stationed in the Aleutian Islands. He served four years in the military and earned a bronze star.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1892 wrote:thank you...I have nothing else to say...
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

1892 wrote:thank you...I have nothing else to say...
+ 2.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

They were men............. God Bless Them!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There's probably a thousand stories like that most of us will never know.
Men like that is what sets us apart from the rest of the world.

Thank you!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote:There's probably a thousand stories like that most of us will never know.
Men like that is what sets us apart from the rest of the world.

Thank you!

jb 8)
Middle class kid from Long Island --- a kid from KY with a tougher background ---- brought together

I dont know how much time elapsed --- but if it was more than 30 minutes on watch -- these guys' had an idea about each other - maybe even spoke about their loved ones back home - girlfriends , wives, high school - problems, conquests , high school sports careers ---

Maybe this happened, maybe not ----- it sure did a lot when i was in -- we got to know a lot of people in small snippets that were important at the time -- whether it was talking about music (talking about TRIM ) - old truck and car projects and our plans for them

Then- when the time came -- it was just you and your new buddy -- 6 seconds is about enough time to empty a 30 round magazine and be reaching for another one

These guys' died hard and valiant and for that i salute them ----- and as the Aussie rock band sang "For Those About To Rock ---- We Salute You "
----- Doug
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I have read this several times before, and this time was no different than the others. It became hard for me to see due to the tears and the tightness of my throat made swallowing an effort. These two young men stepped into the breech, into the fire, into harms way, to protect their brother Marines and by proxy me, my children and grandchildren. And by their selfless act deprived themselves of the joys of ever knowing the feeling of holding children and grandchildren of their own. For all the days of my life I will love them and their kind and sing their praises to all that will listen.

Sua Sponte and Semper Fidelis Marines. May the memory of your bravery and sacrifice be burned into our hearts forever.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.