finally settled on a Rotary Single-Stack...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

finally settled on a Rotary Single-Stack...

Post by 1894c »

I have spent the last bunch of months considering different BUG/EDC options mostly carry a Glock 27/26 for the last nine years in the front pocket of my uniform pants (just looking for another option). I recently tried the M&P Shield in 9mm, what a great auto, but I just kept going back to the Glock 26. I gave a Ruger LCP (.380acp) a hard look, this too is a nice weapon, small, easy to conceal and many on this forum like it, as for me I was missing the 9mm for carry. So now I've come full circle I finally settled on a rotary single-stack...use to own them, but walked away about 6-7 years ago...

My choice in a rotary single-stack is a S&W 642 (see lousy photos) airweight J-frame (with NO internal lock). Usually I would carry a S&W 638, but decided to give the 642 a try. This is a "old-school" option that is still very popular, especially for summer carry (I know a few young LEO's that carry one as a BUG). I recently bought a pile of Speer 135gr, Gold-Dot +P HP as my basic carry round, plus I still discovered that I had a couple of Bianchi Speed-strips. So in the end I now have two BUG/EDC options that I'm comfortable with...Gen4 Glock 26 in 9mm and a rotary single-stack in .38spl... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Re: finally settled on a Rotary Single-Stack...

Post by DPris »

Where on earth did you come up with "rotary single-stack"?
Denis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well consider this, with the G26 you can carry an extra mag from a G19. that will give you 15 rounds. A mag from a G17 will give you even more, or you can get a 33 round, all will fit your G26.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Can vouch for the S&W 642, got one, it rides in my pocket *a lot*. It's in one of those rubberized carrier/protectors to keep it upright and not flopping over.

I'm not a huge fan of S&W, but I got this one used/like-new from a relative of mine. You do have to be sure to clean out the pocket lint every once in awhile. (grin)

Do have a G26 (full set, 17, 19 and 26) and it's an awesome little carry gun.

As Rusty stated, the G19 mags work well, but I've had trouble with the G17 mags causing jams, which are very uncommon in G's.

642 is everyday casual carry, G19 in an IWB Galco holster when I'm 'serious' carrying.

P.S. 642's have a layer of varnish/enamel over the aluminum frame, I notice on mine that's wearing on the back strap and edges/corners. I really don't care, it just adds to the character.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

DPris wrote:Where on earth did you come up with "rotary single-stack"?
Denis
Since "single-stack 9's" are all the rage I thought I would co-op the phrase, plus being a revolver it rotates... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"Rotary Single Stack". I like it. I once overheard an old feller say, when in a discussion of 6 rounds in a revolver vs. a whole box of ammo in a semi-auto, "How many times you plan on missing?" :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't think it's a matter of missing. It's just that thugs today tend to travel in packs.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Ok, I live under a rock, so please forgive the ignorance. WTF is a BUG/EDC?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

All the LMI's (like minded individuals) are speaking in code today, you'll just have to catch up. (grin)

BUG - back up gun
EDC - every day carry

I don't think 'single-stack' fits. I'd prefer "rotary process linear feed slug thrower"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I AM NEW TO SHOOTING [ only sixty years so far..] so I do not have a clue on what you mean by " rotary single stack." Is there a " rotary double stack too"?
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Terry Murbach wrote:I AM NEW TO SHOOTING [ only sixty years so far..] so I do not have a clue on what you mean by " rotary single stack." Is there a " rotary double stack too"?
No Sir, there is not a "rotary double stack", just a play on words. Many of the young LEO's that I hang with are all excited about the current trend in "single-stack" 9mm pistols like the M&P Shield, the Ruger LC9, or the Glock 43--although I think you already know this stuff...I came up with the "rotary single-stack" to describe a revolver, I like messing with them... :)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hey there 1892, ... I kinda like your new "nomenclature" of the revolving designed handheld poppers.:D
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Rusty wrote:I don't think it's a matter of missing. It's just that thugs today tend to travel in packs.
You need to stay out of those neighborhoods, Rusty. More than likely won't need 17 rounds in your EDC if'n you do! :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
That is a catchy phrase... "rotary single stack" !
I am another older and very happy to have a good supply of rotary single stackers around. I have never had to wonder if. Never a stove pipe to clear. No bent lips. And on that list will go.
Yes I have a whole slew of auto loaders. I do like them. But it seems the "rotary" types get carried a lot more in the last 5 years. Been carrying a 5 shot rotary down here in Peru for over 20 years and never have felt more was needed. The packs are here also but so far few of then seem to be inclined to be the first 5 to dine on lead appetizers.
At home I remind the wife often.." These hand tools are only to buy enough time to get to the 44 WCF 1892 or 12 Mossy".
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.