Does some brass taste better than others

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Does some brass taste better than others

Post by walks with gun »

I don't know if .32mag brass tastes any different than 44-40 or 45acp, but I think something must have ate my 32's. I was going to load up some more ammo for my daughters little single six and thought I had a couple hundred empty Federal cases in the reloading shed. There gone, looked everywhere multiple times and there just plain gone, empty boxes are there but no brass. I'm wondering if I'm losing my mind or if it's some kind of brass eating insect or aliens or maybe gun grabbing vegetarians found out there good in a salad. It will give me something to look for at the gun show in a few weeks but bugs the heck out of me what happened to the stuff I had. What eats brass and how do you stop them. AAAAARRGG.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Does some brass taste better than others

Post by jhrosier »

'Snot just you.... I've lost track of a half shoebox of 10mm brass, a couple of bags of brand new .284 Win brass and an expensive wrist watch.
I don't usually much care what time it is, but I'd like to shoot my 10mm again some day. :cry:

Jack
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

40-90 Sharps BN must rate right up there with Lobster...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Ain't you never heerd of brass worms? They are the larva stage of the dreaded "Left Wing Liberal" moth. Native to California, specifically the larger cities... :shock:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sometimes I think my socks must taste better than brass. Do you have all of yours in pairs?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'm with you Shrapnel my wife swears our dryer is electric but I am leaning toward sock powered. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

And just when I was thinking maybe I'd hide my other brass in my extra socks, I'd really lose things then.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Last fall I loaded up 100 rounds of .223, put them in a 100 round MTM box. VERY diligent search has come up zilch. :roll:
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

They say the first thing to go is your memory. I can't recall what they said the second thing was.

I can hide things from myself pretty well these days. :)
NRA life member
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Went to move a box on the floor under my workbench and couldn't..too heavy.. Discovered a box of 500 rounds of 30-06 M2 I forgot I had..sometimes it works the other way..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Les Staley wrote:Went to move a box on the floor under my workbench and couldn't..too heavy.. Discovered a box of 500 rounds of 30-06 M2 I forgot I had..sometimes it works the other way..
Well...since you obviously don't need it very bad....I have a hungry Garand that loves the taste of brass....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

bmtshooter wrote:They say the first thing to go is your memory.

:)
They're wrong. :wink:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have been buying all this stuff for my retirement for the last 20 years..had some dispose able income from the oilfield.. Trouble is, now that I'm retired, I forgot what I bought. Vancelw, bring your M1 along and we'll give a couple of old war horses some exercise..

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I must have scared the daylights out of the Gremlins living in the Reloading room, those 32mag brass have been missing for months now, but today, there they were sitting in a tube on shelve in a tub marked .32 H&R mag. I don't know what was hiding them but they were returned. Now if they would return my sanity and a half dozen pair of reading glasses I'd be tickled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Les Staley wrote:I have been buying all this stuff for my retirement for the last 20 years..had some dispose able income from the oilfield.. Trouble is, now that I'm retired, I forgot what I bought. Vancelw, bring your M1 along and we'll give a couple of old war horses some exercise..
I would sure love to do that. We may have to work it out. I'd even bring my own ammo :D
I got this Garand from CMP a couple of summers ago. It's a 1955 H&R with excellent throat and muzzle. New wood and metal. Looks almost like a brand new gun. It sure needs to be shot (alone with several others I have neglected)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I have one of each maker in Service grade and when the Greek Returns flooded the CMP I went back to Port Clinton Ohio and hand picked three Rack grades for $295 each. Was able to pick out three H&R s with barrels that gauged 0 at both ends. Stocks were kinda rough, but the metal was NEW. Great investment! Got a few cases of ammo stashed too...hope I can remember where it's all at......

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Les Staley wrote:I have one of each maker in Service grade and when the Greek Returns flooded the CMP I went back to Port Clinton Ohio and hand picked three Rack grades for $295 each. Was able to pick out three H&R s with barrels that gauged 0 at both ends. Stocks were kinda rough, but the metal was NEW. Great investment! Got a few cases of ammo stashed too...hope I can remember where it's all at......
I wish, I had picked up a couple of spare barrels when they had them. Maybe when the Korean batch is released in the future.

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bmtshooter wrote:They say the first thing to go is your memory. I can't recall what they said the second thing was.

I can hide things from myself pretty well these days. :)
No, memory's the 2nd thing to go, I've forgotten the 1st!

Putting things in a "safe" place almost ensures they'll be lost!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote:40-90 Sharps BN must rate right up there with Lobster...
Slightly less... If you're willing to settle for Bertram... Otherwise, it's more dear than hen's teeth!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shrapnel wrote:Sometimes I think my socks must taste better than brass. Do you have all of yours in pairs?
I buy all the same Cabela's grey wool blend socks....don't have to match them up, or worry about losing just one of them.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I had a buddy give me 300 rds of new and once fired .44 special brass last night. I had a pretty good taste in my mouth after that happened. :lol:

rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I buy all the same Cabela's grey wool blend socks....don't have to match them up, or worry about losing just one of them.... :idea
Excellent idea Blaine, I do similar with my white socks; all the same maker, all the same size, all match!

Right after I started getting my life together and living alone, I had amassed 28 pairs of underwear, just so I would never run out...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mikld wrote:
I buy all the same Cabela's grey wool blend socks....don't have to match them up, or worry about losing just one of them.... :idea
Excellent idea Blaine, I do similar with my white socks; all the same maker, all the same size, all match!

Right after I started getting my life together and living alone, I had amassed 28 pairs of underwear, just so I would never run out...
Don't forget dark shirts so the gravy stains don't show as well......
Ever notice how wimmin worry about holes in worn undies? I say if there is still two holes for your legs, all the others are just icing on the cake :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV