Over run with Odocoileus virginianus

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Over run with Odocoileus virginianus

Post by GoatGuy »

The grass in my pastures (paddocks) is almost waist high and I'm having a tough time deciding to mow. Tallest grass I've seen here in many a year. All of our rain this spring has been a boon to these grasses. I don't cut hay here and don't want to let others cut either. Unfortunately, I don't have enough of a goat herd anymore to make a dent this season. Strongly considering bush hogging, but...the problem with hogging now is the incredible number of whitetail does I have grazing here. More than I've seen here on the place since I don't know when. I expect most, if not all, have babies stashed in this tall fescue grass.

Just came in from mowing the fence lines along my road with my Kabota diesel lawn tractor. Concentrating on not getting too close to the fence, I finally looked up and saw a nice big healthy looking doe across the fence had raised her head and looked at me with a mouth full of grass. Must have let me get within 15-20 yards of her before she turned and quickly walked away. No alarm. Sure sign to me she has baby/babies close by. All these does on the place have behaved much the same when I come across them. Have to believe they all have fawns. They've gotten so cozy here that my 145# livestock guardian dog doesn't even bother to chase them off. Believe he must think they're just more goats, as we have 15 little kid goats here as well. Oh well, at least the deer won't be bothered by feral dogs or coyotes.

Sure hope all this doe deer business bodes well for a successful season, come fall! :D
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Over run with Odocoileus virginianus

Post by Lassiter »

I know that all this heavy rain has caused a lot of problems and heartache for a lot of folks, but I fear that all this good rain is drawing to an end. Most likely in three weeks or so we won't be able to buy a good rain......jes sayin'
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I wish we were overrun with them. A biologist let the cat out of the bag in Connecticut. In 2007 the deer population has been estimated to be at 127,000. Now it is around 60,000. The blame is on coyotes and bobcat.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Or new shopping centers/malls. . ;)