rebuilding an 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner

rebuilding an 1894

Post by shiloh505 »

A Question for those that know far more than I do. I have an 1894 that is a completely stripped barreled receiver dated from 1903 caliber .30 WCF the rifling is good and sharp. Can I use all of the receiver internals and mag tube from a post 64 model to rebuild this rifle or must it be pre 64 parts? I want to make it a shootable piece for me and my son.

Thank You
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: rebuilding an 1894

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, you'll need pre-64 parts.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think some later parts will work and some wont, but I am not positive. Cartridge guides, carrier screw, lever pin plug screw, spring cover (loading gate) and screw probably have to be early.

The post-64 links and screws were different and wont work, but they went back to the earlier type at some point, so those parts may not be that hard to find.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lower tang and associated parts (trigger, sear, hammer, trigger block safety, mainspring), will need to be from the same vintage firearm, either early or late... Although the late "ear-less" type will seem kinda "floppy" until the buttstock is in place. Once tightened up, the whole assembly works fine. Lever can be from any similar cartridge. Locking lug will need to match lower link, either round or oval pins on locking lug. So, you can use the post '64 version that have the same crosspin for the lower link and the retaining screw to match your receiver, or the early type of the same design. The locking lug with the early round pins doesn't fit the later lower link, and the later oval pin locking lug doesn't function well with an early lower link, although they fit. Cartridge guides absolutely have to be from a pre-'64... and they're scarcer'n hen's teeth. Any carrier for the mdl 94 will work, but you'll need an early style screw set as the pre-'64 uses two, one from each side. Spring covers (loading gate) are all the same... and any top eject bolt will work. All the forend parts are the same. Buttstocks are very slightly different, but can be fitted. Might need a little bedding compound.

I have a coupla "Franken-chesters"... and they shoot just as good as any other... just lack the "collector" luster.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This link by Joe from the "One Sticky" may be of help to you.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... sters.html
ED
Yer never too old