A what if question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

A what if question

Post by rjohns94 »

TV show "alone" allows contestants to take 10 items/tools to be used to survive in wilderness. I haven't watched the show, just saw trailers. They are dropped into a location and last one left wins. Question is , what 10 items would you take. I don't think a firearm is allowed on show. But archery equipment is. For the purposes here, any ten items of your choosing so long as you can carry it. Your tools would have to provide shelter, food, water purification etc. looks like they drop the folks off in Alaska or Washington state.

So what 10 items would you take ?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: A what if question

Post by Malamute »

I'd have to think on that, but one of the very few TV shows I've seen in the past 20 years, the people were put on an island or something, and each could take one "thing" with them. One guy took a Swiss Army knife, one guy took a roll of nylon string, which turned out to be a really helpful thing in making shelters, gathering food, and all sort of other tasks.

In the occasional "end of the world" ideas that come up online here and there, I keep thinking that buying a twin pack of spools of bailing twine (maybe a couple miles worth) would be one thing I'd really want. I had one spool for pulling wires, and just threw massive amounts of it away at a time as I used it, and it still lasted years. Cord or twine is very useful.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A medium sized Gränsfors.
A Sturdy, Smallish Bowie Knife
10" Cast Iron Skillet
2Qt Sauce Pan To Boil Water
The biggest spool of 30lb monofilament they would allow me.
A bag of 100 fish hooks
Smith's Course/Fine Diamond Sharpener
Crossbow w/bolts (Or, if this is not firearms restricted, a .22 and brick of boolits....)
Big Bottle of aspirin.
A large Magnesium Fire Starter Bar
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

for starters

a 12" or so socket tang bowie chopper camp knife that hafts to a spear shaft
socket-tang-blade.jpg
..... produces fire wood, shelter, meat, javelins and atlatls, bows and arrows, splitting wedges, bow-drill, umiaks, kayaks, etc
maybe more like this:
barong02.JPG
4-sided 4 grit diamond sharpener
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided-di ... 92867.html
fire piston flint and steel ... is it 'a' thing if they are in a container? or is that three things?
spool of nylon gangion
kelly kettle
.......... purifies water, cooks food, melts snow, heats rocks, etc
set of spade drill bits
ulu

three to go

does clothing count as an item? what about a waterproof hooded poncho with liner? a 'thing'? is a pack a 'thing'?

Blaine, you can fry on hot rocks or with greenwood stakes, can hard boil eggs, even in grass baskets...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:for starters

..... produces fire wood, shelter, meat, javelins and atlatls, bows and arrows, splitting wedges, bow-drill, etc
fire piston
spool of nylon gangion
kelly kettle

five to go

does clothing count as an item? what about a waterproof hooded poncho with liner? a 'thing'? is a pack a 'thing'?

Blaine, you can fry on hot rocks or with greenwood stakes, can hard boil eggs, even in grass baskets...
YOU can fry on hot rocks, I'll stick with the cast iron, thanks. :lol: :lol: Where you gonna get eggs? :oops:
I'm hoping I can wear a nice warm/waterproof jacket into the game. :? If not, I'll trade in the aspirin for the poncho w/liner.
Last edited by Blaine on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:for starters

..... produces fire wood, shelter, meat, javelins and atlatls, bows and arrows, splitting wedges, bow-drill, etc
fire piston
spool of nylon gangion
kelly kettle

five to go

YOU can fry on hot rocks, I'll stick with the cast iron, thanks. :lol: :lol: Where you gonna get eggs? :oops:
penguins, terns, seagulls, etc
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:TV show "alone" allows contestants to take 10 items/tools to be used to survive in wilderness. I haven't watched the show, just saw trailers. They are dropped into a location and last one left wins. Question is , what 10 items would you take. I don't think a firearm is allowed on show. But archery equipment is. For the purposes here, any ten items of your choosing so long as you can carry it. Your tools would have to provide shelter, food, water purification etc. looks like they drop the folks off in Alaska or Washington state.

What time of year & how many days Mike?
If wintertime in the northern wilderness, staying warm would be a priority.
A down sleeping bag & tent would be on my list.
If you get into or close to a hypothermia situation, you're pretty much hosed.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

magnesium fire started
eastwing ax
survival knife with kit in handle and sharpener
metal container to carry boil water
fishing kit
wire for snares
100' rope
compass
archery equip or a 22 mag pistol if allowed
and a blond with big...........

assuming layered cloths for that time of year and hat
boots and pack don't count
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm afraid that I need to opt out.

I have more than 10 maintainence Rx's, plus IDK how to change the battery in my pacemaker. . :roll:

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I know many of these shows are scripted beyond belief to enhance the saleable drama but I do find them somewhat entertaining.

This ALONE project has taken place on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. To the best of my knowledge, non residents cannot hunt big game without a licensed guide. You can hunt small game without a guide to your heart's content but no big stuff.

If firearms were allowed it would be a Ruger 10-22 with a brick of ammunition. Since this is most likely not allowed I would go with the following items which I own.

1. Martin recurve bow with two dozen arrows.
2. Swedish Mora Light my fire knife as my everyday carry knife.
3. Axe
4. Sharpening tool.
5. Spool of 55O paracord.
6.Snare wire
7. Mylar survival blanket.
8.Lifestraw water filter
9.Stainless steel cooking pot.
10. Thick wool blanket.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Five things would be enough; a bag with a million dollars, a satellite phone or radio, and a sexy woman, & either a couple firearms or if 'no guns' :roll: then a couple hand grenades.

The $$$ ought to be incentive for whoever I call to come get me & the guns keep 'em honest. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I won't take the time to think up a list, but one thing I'd have for sure is a fishing pole and some hooks. If the pole was too big for my kit or whatever the show allowed, I'd go for a roll of fishing line and some hooks. Of course with my luck they drop in the middle of the desert.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Credit card and satellite phone. I can get everything delivered, no matter where I am with those.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

jeepnik wrote:Credit card and satellite phone. I can get everything delivered, no matter where I am with those.
Ebay & airdrop. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

casastahle wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Credit card and satellite phone. I can get everything delivered, no matter where I am with those.
Ebay & airdrop. :D
Actually, I was thinking REI and airdrop. I might go hungry for a day or two, but with overnight delivery to the airfield and at most next day parachute drop, I'd be fine. I could loose a few pounds anyway. Problem is I'd likely put on more while outlasting the rest. For those old enough think Gomer Pyle "Survival of the Fattest"
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

If small game is allowed without a guide using firearms, I think I'll play!

1.) Savage 24--22/410, 300 CCI Mini mags, 2 boxes 3" #6 shot
2.) Single bit cruisers axe (I have a dandy I use each morning during the fall and winter :wink: )
3.) Cold Steel San Mai Outdoorsman belt knife
4.) 4 quart stainless steel pot
5.) 11'x14 treated canvas tarp
6.) Thick woolen Blanket
7.) Large magnesium firestarter bar
8.) 15# fishing line
9.) large bag of fishing hooks
10.) MSR Sweetwater microfilter

Lots of other things I would wish to take!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I like the Savage M24 idea better. To me it would be the ideal foragers gun.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

8 MREs, 1 fire kit, 1 phone w/Pizza Hut number...

Seriously, I thought about what I'd take but being a deprived youth, it all ould be a WAG (never went camping. No Boy Scouts in Compton, CA). Prolly a .22 rifle, ax or machete, fire starting kit, fishing kit, emergency signaling kit, first aid kit w/pain meds., water putification stuff, my Buck folder, depending on weather, mebbe a space blanket...
Last edited by mikld on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

casastahle wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:TV show "alone" allows contestants to take 10 items/tools to be used to survive in wilderness. I haven't watched the show, just saw trailers. They are dropped into a location and last one left wins. Question is , what 10 items would you take. I don't think a firearm is allowed on show. But archery equipment is. For the purposes here, any ten items of your choosing so long as you can carry it. Your tools would have to provide shelter, food, water purification etc. looks like they drop the folks off in Alaska or Washington state.

What time of year & how many days Mike?
If wintertime in the northern wilderness, staying warm would be a priority.
A down sleeping bag & tent would be on my list.
If you get into or close to a hypothermia situation, you're pretty much hosed.

The show didn't show any snow but there was lots of rain. Where and when would affect the answers I'm sure. How many days is up to the contestants. Last one in country wins $500,000
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

1. Belt knife
2. Woodsman axe
3. Large magnesium fire stick
4. Pot with pan lid
5. Firstaide Kit
6. Tarp
7. Coil of parachute chord
8. Fishing kit(packed in a tin)
9. Snare wire
10. S/s .22lr with ammo

All the above from 3-10 packed in ziplock bags

Assumes clothes, change of clothes and pack to carry items does count. I have all of this and more in my pack in the truck. Would have to leave many items behind.
Mike Johnson,

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thinking about a titanium pot for rendering sea-salt. salt is useful for preserving food and necessary in the diet... and boiling seawater in anything else will ruin it.

was hoping a lot more folks, and the bots even, not that there's anything wrong with that, would post up on this one. it's a great learning tool.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

In reality if I couldn't have a shotgun & a couple boxes of shells for starters, I would decline being on that show. At this point in life I'm very comfortable in a warm/cool house in the assumed armchair quarterback position.
Most guys (me included anymore) can't even make a full day, sun up to sun down on a deer stand anymore. That one or two days during the season that I make a full day of it; That big o'll pot of hot chili or turkey corn soup that's waiting for me back at home or camp is just screaming at me. 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I have to take what I already have handy it would be:
Mora light my fire knife or Cold Steel survival edge knife.
Marbles Bowie Machete with sharpening stone.
Kelly kettle & cooking kit.
Flat bow & fishing arrow.
First aid kit.
Flashlight.
Paracord.
Lifeboat matches.
No 4 Fenn trap.
Bottle of Wild Turkey.

I would require a waterproof tent and sleeping bag, which I don't have.
If I could take a firearm, probably would be my 9422.
I like to think that should I suddenly get transported to some desolate and inhospitable place, my everyday carry items will get me by for a while.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

casastahle wrote:In reality if I couldn't have a shotgun & a couple boxes of shells for starters, I would decline being on that show. At this point in life I'm very comfortable in a warm/cool house in the assumed armchair quarterback position.
Most guys (me included anymore) can't even make a full day, sun up to sun down on a deer stand anymore. That one or two days during the season that I make a full day of it; That big o'll pot of hot chili or turkey corn soup that's waiting for me back at home or camp is just screaming at me. 8)
I hear Ya!

but it's a what-if game, so we can imagine what we would have carried in our prime, if we were smart enough in our prime to know anything . . .

know what I mean?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I seem to have forgotten my big blue tarp.
I hope no one on the show gets et up by one of those bears that are all over he!! up there. :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote::oops: I seem to have forgotten my big blue tarp.
I hope no one on the show gets et up by one of those bears that are all over he!! up there. :?
precisely why my spear is at the top end of my list. a spear is actually better than a sharp stick on so many ways.

it's hilarious to see cruz spouting Constitution when he is ineligible by that document to run for office of president. his padre is not and never was a u.s. citizen, which makes cruz not a natural born citizen.

I know this is difficult to comprehend and I know that when you google it the top ten million hits are all liars repeating the same lie. cruz is no more eligible than bar-aaach.

the fact that the corrupt court system, the corrupt political system, the corrupt propaganda system, and the corrupt administration are concerted in their corruption, shouting down the truth, does not make the lie the truth, any more than a Y chromosome can "feel like" an X chromosome and presto! changeo! become the other.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I must admit, that when the original survivor came on TV I was expecting something more like this. Alone, minimal gear and last man standing.

If the show continues, I wonder how long it will be before they make it a game and "vote" someone off the show.

While I jokingly said a sat phone and credit card, I imagine that most of us would likely do well. Heck, we go out into the woods for fun. Along the way most have probably learned a thing or two that would come in handy. And if Obama keeps things going like they are, we may not have a choice, the entire world might be living off the land. Well, that is the entire surviving world.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Watched the season premier....it was ok....these guys are far from trained survivors...
and they dumped them in the northwest, where its so wet, they cant start a fire...except one guy....
and the place is loaded with bears....wolves and mountain lions...

wolves had most of them spooked when they started howling at night....

two bears came into one guys camp....right up to his tarp shelter...
and scared him right off the island....and quit...

9 are left...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I watched the program last nite. Did they not know where they would be dropped off? I don't know if they were allowed a firearm or not. It seemed to me they were not really prepared for that kind of wet weather.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

rjohns94 wrote:1. Belt knife
2. Woodsman axe
4. Pot with pan lid
5. Firstaide Kit
6. Tarp
9. Snare wire
10. S/s .22lr with ammo

Assumes clothes, change of clothes and pack to carry items does count. I have all of this and more in my pack in the truck. Would have to leave many items behind.

OK, I looked up the rules for the items they could choose from. No firearms. they could choose 10 of 19 items on a list. Here is the list:

12x12 ground Tarp
Saw
Axe
Sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
300 yds of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
extra tarp
emergency rations
knife
Paracord (20 meters)
Bow w/ 6 arrows
Bivi Bag
Water bottle
small mesh gill net
sharpening stone
leatherman
slingshot
3.5# wire

Clothes and pack did not count as extra items.

all 10 contestants chose:
axe
sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
fishing line with hooks

9 chose a knife

6 chose a the 12x 12 tarp
(1) chose the extra tarp also

5 chose:
saw
Paracord
Bow w/ 6 arrows

4 chose the:
gill net
emergency rations

3 chose a water bottle

2 chose the:
sling shot
sharpening stone
bivi bag

1 chose
wire
leatherman

So, I revise my list knowing the choices that were available:

I would still choose:

Knife
Axe
ferrorod
2 qt pot
fishing gear
tarp
sleeping bag
paracord
Since each got a first aide kit as part of their kit, I drop it off my list
I would add the remaining 2

Bow with arrows
Saw

Anyone interested in throwing your ideas into the pot, bounded by the list above?
Mike Johnson,

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:
2. Woodsman axe
4. Pot with pan lid
5. Firstaide Kit
6. Tarp
9. Snare wire
10. S/s .22lr with ammo

OK, I looked up the rules for the items they could choose from. No firearms. they could choose 10 of 19 items on a list. Here is the list:

12x12 ground Tarp
Saw
Axe
Sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
extra tarp
emergency rations
knife
Paracord (20 meters)
Bow w/ 6 arrows
Bivi Bag
Water bottle
small mesh gill net
sharpening stone
leatherman
slingshot
3.5# wire

axe
sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
fishing line with hooks

9 chose a knife

5 chose:
saw
Paracord
Bow w/ 6 arrows

4 chose the:
gill net
emergency rations

3 chose a water bottle

2 chose the:
sling shot
sharpening stone
bivi bag

1 chose
wire
leatherman

I would still choose:

Knife
Axe
ferrorod
2 qt pot
fishing gear
tarp
sleeping bag
paracord

Bow with arrows
Saw

Anyone interested in throwing your ideas into the pot, bounded by the list above?
Since they are being dropped off in Doug Fir country, I can tell you with certainty that those blisters of sap on young fir tree bark burns like coal oil. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Given thee constraints:

12x12 ground Tarp
2 qt pot
ferro rod
knife (heavy/smatchet type - though I would prefer a Russian Entrenching Tool)
Paracord (20 meters)
Bivi Bag
Water bottle
leatherman
slingshot
Sharpening Stone

The thinking:

Water bottle: Obvious.
2 qt pot: Obvious
ferro rod: Obvious, if redundant. I can use a bow/stick to start a fire, but when it comes to fire, redundancy is good.

knife: (heavy/smatchet type - though I would prefer a Russian Entrenching Tool)

* If I had any choice at all it would be to take my SPETNAZ E-Tool. It can dig me in, dig punji pits, chop wood, is a formidable weapon, and is even an accurate Thrower. The uses to which a properly designed E-Tool can be put are not inconsequential.

leatherman: So long as I get to choose the model/configuration. Knife, Pliers, Saw, Diamond File, Rasp, Awl... and on and on...

Paracord (20 meters): Because I like gutting Paracord for parts.

Bivi Bag
12x12 ground Tarp

* This is the Pacific North West. I have no desire to carry a saturated sleeping bag. A Tarp & Bivi give me more comfort and protection than about anything ... especially since I will be sleeping in trees (bears and wolves).

slingshot: Because Ammo is Easy... and I can make it into a sling-bow if I find straight enough sticks to make arrows...

Sharpening Stone: This was a toughie. I can USUALLY find hard enough stones to hone a blade to useful sharpness, but if I'm only going to carry a soft-bladed Leatherman as a knife, I want something less aggressive... A bit of Ceramic (like an insulator tube) would be plenty...

Now, a couple of these choices MIGHT be changed depending on the design specs of the "pack" and "clothing" I would be "allowed", but still, I think for the terrain this is the best bet (for someone who can't eat fish...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Anyone that would go to Africa, Alaska, the Amazon or anywhere without a weapon and ammo is just plain crazy!!!! Todd/3leg Fools think we should not be able to use our brains and reasoning to stay on top of the food chain and take care of ourselves. rant off :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sometimes the Gun doesn't survive the plane crash... one of those "worst case scenario" things.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hot women, plenty of booze and gourmet food, and a mini gun to scare away any attempt to rescue us. :wink:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These scenario`s are fun to think about but I believe we ALL would find surprise`s. I am a fat, old man and never was in great shape. Still, I had wilderness type jobs for about 6 years and never worried about the possibility's. For several seasons I was a Blister Rust checker for the NPS in Yosemite and the Grand Tetons, worked on the Wisconsin Conservation Dept and spent another 4 years working a lot in the boonies on utility poles wherever they went.
When I started out in 1960 (Yosemite NP), the job dictated I worked by myself in the boonies (when I wasn't fighting fires). Except for working on fire crews, we were turned loose without even a pac set for communication. I never gave it a second thought. Then later I switched careers and worked the rest of my life on security jobs. At first I couldnt relate to my fellow guards thinking we all needed pac sets in case we fell in a hole or something at night working by ourselves. I considered it "sissy".
Today at 74 years old, my biggest hobby is trail riding here in Utah on our Polaris RZR. In fair to good weather I and the wife hit the trails about three times a week. On most of these rides we are as far as 35 miles out from help and the cell phones seldom if never, show any bars. My wife would have a hard time having to walk a few hundred yards much less many miles. Me too. We do carry a lot of "stuff". Were it not for my wife I probably would carry next to nothing. Yesterday on the spur of the moment we did over 80 wilderness miles. I think we met two other vehicles on the trail in all day. That dont mean they would help you out either if you tried flagging them down, but they probably would. I did get in trouble once last year and a family stopped and helped us. Drove us 35 miles out to our truck and trailer. I had mechanical trouble with our rzr, hit a deer and had to shoot it, plus blew out a tire all in a few minuets. It does happen. I also have a old puddle jumper airplane (1971 Citabria GCBC). I fly by myself over wild uninhabited country here in SW Utah, and it could happen, a off field landing emergency. You cant be prepared for every possibility even at home. A couple days ago the wife and I went about 70 miles west of us in a very remote area called Indian Peak. It`s a wild horse refuge area in about the most remote part of Utah. I felt safe as we were driving my truck and trailer loaded with our RZR. Had our ticket out on the trailer. Two or three years ago a freak snow storm hit out there and a family was out there in their vehicle to see the wild horses. I guess they hadnt told anyone where they were going. They ran the stuck vehicle out of gas trying to stay warm. They were stuck out there over a week! At the last they were saved by a road department worker that was taking a grader out in the area. I think survival is mostly having the right frame of mind and faith in God. You do need X amount of water but people have gone a month without food. Of course if you need your medicine to stay alive it would be nice to have it along. My dad told me a story of a fix he got in about 75 years ago. He was on a deer hunting trip with a couple of his brothers. They were driving and since the car was warm dad didn't have his coat on. It was a bitter cold day in Wisconsin. A nice buck ran across the road and dad jumped out of the hot car with his rifle but without his coat and ran into the woods to see if he could get a shot. He said it was super bitter cold and still. He hadn't taken time to get his bearings and soon was in trouble. His brother blew the horn but dad said in the cold still Forrest the sound sounded like it came from every direction and everything looked the same. Obviously he made it but running out of a hot car into 40 below or so in just your shirt sleeves it wont take long to get in trouble. Once when I was about 12 years old in winter I and my buddy took a "joy ride" in a skiff we found by the river. The river or bayou was frozen ice on the edges and I somehow fell through the thin ice head first! We were about a mile from my house. I got out okay but was soaked and my pants were instantly like wearing sheets of ice. I was wearing a war surplus Bomber jacket and I recall my torso didn't even get wet when I was totally under water. Even so, I dont remember ever being colder. Thank God, the folks were at work and I doubt I mentioned what happened. I probably thought worse would happen. Working on those jobs years ago I have seen guys panic a few times over nothing and other guys in more dangerous and worse conditions think nothing about it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Booger Bill, thanks for sharing I found that very interesting.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Booger Bill, very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rjohns94 wrote:
2. Woodsman axe
4. Pot with pan lid
5. Firstaide Kit
6. Tarp
9. Snare wire
10. S/s .22lr with ammo

12x12 ground Tarp
Saw
Axe
Sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
extra tarp
emergency rations
knife
Paracord (20 meters)
Bow w/ 6 arrows
Bivi Bag
Water bottle
small mesh gill net
sharpening stone
leatherman
slingshot
3.5# wire

axe
sleeping bag
2 qt pot
ferro rod
fishing line with hooks

9 chose a knife

5 chose:
saw
Paracord
Bow w/ 6 arrows

4 chose the:
gill net
emergency rations

3 chose a water bottle

2 chose the:
sling shot
sharpening stone
bivi bag

1 chose
wire
leatherman

I would still choose:

Knife
Axe
ferrorod
2 qt pot
fishing gear
tarp
sleeping bag
paracord

Bow with arrows
Saw

Tarp
Extra tarp
Ferro rod
Wire
Leather man
Fishing gear
Bow w arrows
Saw
Sleeping bag
2 qt pot

Doesnt take long to get to 10 with that list--- fishing gear is also dependent on having a pond or stream as well, although the line has other uses

In an imaginary situation, i would like to have a boxed set of Hemingway, Capstick and others to catch up on reading, as i would be doing a lot of sitting and relaxing to conserve energy
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good lists. personally I think a real socket tang spear head is the primary chopper, cutter, carver, defender and meat maker. stick it on an eight foot shaft and it's a bear stopper. I might opt for two of them. Made of the right steel, and correctly tempered to just above spring-blue, it can be honed on river rock. viable predator defense and proven meat maker over the six thousand years of recorded history.

a good big spool of gangion would be worth more than its weight.

and I would opt for a hatchet over a saw, even though a saw is more useful in some ways, it's harder to sharpen, and I'd be building brush shelters, not log cabins or tree houses. although I might try to build a brush shelter in a tree.

http://sensiblesurvival.org/2013/02/03/ ... h-shelter/

I've used leatherman tools in the woods and have a very low opinion of their durability and utility. If I'm trying to feed myself and kill predators, the fiddly bits of the leatherman, while fine for cleaning up a coleman lamp or tuning up a watch band, are just about useless for the main job of down and dirty paleo living.

anywhere near water and I'm building a kayak, so the tarps are useful here, although I can skin one with a hide or bark, or make a dugout from a windfall. waterways are the easy way to travel, and very productive way to hunt.

some lists have ferro rods without listed strikers. I would scout for flint, which can be found in some form in much of the country, and still have the fire piston on the list, am I over 20 yet? although the bow drill is efficient and makeable most anywhere. many rocks will produce a spark if struck with steel, the pole of the hatchet would work for that.

I think the bow and arrow idea sounds good, but it displaces two other objects that might be more useful. a javelin and atlatl are easy to make and don't require high tech bowstrings and arrows. paleo bows and arrows are field makeable with the right cutting tools. Otzi's bow and arrows are an example of something to get you by. His treasures were the copper axe and flint blade. He made everything else he required with them.

I'd still need the billy for melting and heating snow, for sterilizing water to avoid water borne illnesses and for rendering fat into lard and oil.

important to make sandals to preserve the boots, they can be made from grasses or bark.

the faster the man can get to completely paleo, the longer he will last, at least until the ifone battery dies. :lol:
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My family homesteaded in northern Alberta in the early 30's. Terrible poverty until the boys went overseas for the war. The wagon had a grub box and it always carried matches, ax, tea pot, cord and snare wire. The snare wire was probably baling wire and used to build greenwood structures that would survive a camp fire. My Dad was fond of saying a socket set and wrenches were far more important than a gun. His first job was cutting line for the American's and the Alaska highway at 15.

The local Cree and all Canadian Boreal Forest Indians and BC Coastal tribes I know of supported their family and dog teams with fish mostly.

I'd pick an ax, leatherman (hopefully with saw and knife), fishing line and hooks, wire, bow and arrows, ferro rod, tarp, sleeping bag, pot, water bottle (if metal to boil in). A guy needs food, water and sleep to survive the long haul. I'm assuming the game is to survive the longest and does not involve moving around. I'd find a fish source, build a shelter with the tarp (a lean-to with 3 feet folded in for the bag), build a fire pit, and stock fire wood, split to a dry face. 5 pounds of coffee or tea would sure be nice! I spent an active youth backpacking and canoeing solo in bear country and rarely saw bears, and almost never wolves, and mountain lion. Sometimes the same can be said for rabbits/hares, prairie chicken, and fish!

If bug season I might drop an item for a bug proof bivy bag.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

can you find the ten Cs on that list?

http://blog.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/ ... -survival/
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"