Good Day at the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Good Day at the Range

Post by 66GTO »

As if there can be a bad day at the range!

I have been searching for an accurate load for my Savage .308 11VT for the Hornady 178 gr. A-max. I had a little bit of IMR4895 that I was trying to use up so I loaded up three rounds using 41 grs. and the A-max.
Three rounds at 100 yds. PRVI brass (fired once and neck sized) and nothing was sorted by weight. So I went straight to my LGS and picked a couple of pounds of IMR4895. Good ol' reliable 4895.

I also tried out my new pocket pistol. I had some light primer strikes with my Keltec P3AT my last range session and, even though I know Keltec will repair it for free, I don't trust it now. So I bought a Glock 42 this week. It's larger than the P3AT but still fits in my pocket easily. It also feels more like a real pistol with the longer grip and slide. Today I pulled it out after a couple of hours of shooting rifles off the bench and put some rounds into the 25 yd. berm shooting at pieces of busted shotgun clays. I actually was able to pick off some of the broken clays. I never could have done that with the Keltec. The Glock 42 was comfortable to shoot and accurate. All of the brass was in a small area whereas the Keltec sprayed it all over because it was so hard to control with only two fingers on the grip. I can almost get four on the Glock and when I get some magazine grip extensions I will be able to.

I left the range smiling today.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Good Day at the Range

Post by Blaine »

I have been searching for an accurate load for my Savage
8) I'd say you found it. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kfarm
Levergunner

Post by kfarm »

Hard to beat a savage. It's hard to find a bad load in my 223 and 308 model 10's.
Carroll
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

kfarm wrote:Hard to beat a savage. It's hard to find a bad load in my 223 and 308 model 10's.
I've got four center fire Savages and one .22 LR and they all shoot itty bitty groups. I bought a Ruger American in .30-06 a few years ago and it shoots OK but not like my Savages. I'll be selling the Ruger and buying a .30-06 Savage.

The .308 Savage has a heavy varmint barrel and I put a Choate Tactical stock on it for benchrest shooting. The group above was shot through a hot barrel at the end of the session. I just bought a Savage Axis in .223 and already have it shooting 3/4 MOA with the first group of handloads I tried in it today. I seems to shoot better with a fouled barrel but the sporter barrel heats up after three rounds and groups begin to open up. Good enough for a truck gun to use on coyotes and hogs.

Gotta love Savages.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
I have been searching for an accurate load for my Savage
8) I'd say you found it. :mrgreen:
Yep... I'd quit while I was ahead.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

A 66 GTO and a .308WCF. that shoots like that :o , your set :wink:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

tman wrote:A 66 GTO and a .308WCF. that shoots like that :o , your set :wink:
Well, if I still had my '66 GTO!!! My first car.

Although I'm pretty satisfied with what I'm driving now.

SRT8, 392 Hemi, 6 speed stick. My last hot rod before they put me in the old folks home.

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

:D
66GTO wrote:

SRT8, 392 Hemi, 6 speed stick. My last hot rod before they put me in the old folks home.
wellllllllllllllll, in that case, drive it like you just stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

66GTO wrote:

Nice ride, :mrgreen: I got a 2010 challenger R/T hemi. Not as quick as yours, but enough for me.
kfarm
Levergunner

Post by kfarm »

I graduated in 66 and the guy that sat in front of me in school had a 66 goat, I had a 60 VW Karmin Gia. He also had girls which I did not. Oh well I got some 178's comming, think I'll try 41 instead of 42 that I've used for years. Have a great 4th everyone.
Carroll