The 375 Winchester family grows

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

The 375 Winchester family grows

Post by TedH »

Picked up this 375 Win. Contender to join in with my Marlin 375 and my Winchester 94 Big Bore 375. Trying to decide what scope and what mount/rings to go with. This is my first Contender, so I'm open to suggestions from you Contender guys.

NRA Life Member
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: The 375 Winchester family grows

Post by Leverluver »

I'm open to suggestions from you Contender guys.

Plugs and muffs :shock: :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Leverluver wrote:I'm open to suggestions from you Contender guys.

Duly noted. :D
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Personally, I'd mount a Williams FP with a Target knob for elevation (get the 'Target' model but sub-out a regular windage knob). It's what I keep on my 357 Maximum. Aperture 'IN' for target use, and out for 'Ghost Ring' effect when afield.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Nice looking group ! One good caliber to have plenty of. I guess any rifle cartridge that is caliber .38 has a lot of merits.
So tell us a little about that brake on the Contender ... I was next to a range table once when the shooter touched one off in caliber .44 I think. With ear plugs and muffs over the plugs it was unpleasant to be near off to the side. I moved.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:Personally, I'd mount a Williams FP with a Target knob for elevation (get the 'Target' model but sub-out a regular windage knob). It's what I keep on my 357 Maximum. Aperture 'IN' for target use, and out for 'Ghost Ring' effect when afield.
Still have to put something up front though.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
Nice looking group ! One good caliber to have plenty of. I guess any rifle cartridge that is caliber .38 has a lot of merits.
So tell us a little about that brake on the Contender ... I was next to a range table once when the shooter touched one off in caliber .44 I think. With ear plugs and muffs over the plugs it was unpleasant to be near off to the side. I moved.
Mike in Peru
I was told by a friend that it was a factory TC barrel/compensater. I haven't shot it yet, but yes I agree it's going to be loud and probably some significant blast/shock too.
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ted, once upon a time I ordered a 14" Muzzle Tamer barrel from the T/C Custom Shop (Fox River Outfitters) for my G1 Contender.

The rubber bumpers are a good thing, but the recoil's not all that bad - certainly nowhere near the recoil from a .45-70 Hunter I bought when the Hunter model was first introduced.

I no longer handgun hunt, but when I did, I found low-powered (around 2x, +/-), fixed-magnification scopes the best for most hunting use.

(I hunted with .44 S&W M-29's, a Ruger SRH .454, plus G1 & G2 Contenders in various different chamberings like .30-30, .35 Rem, .375W, & .45-70)

I especially like T/C's Lobo scopes, as they have/had switchable (on/off) illuminated crosshairs that came in handy when hunting those shadowy buck bedrooms, like Black Cedar Swamps, etc.

I was introduced to the T/C handgun scopes via the one that was issued with that .45-70 Hunter package (gun, scope, soft case); but today, you'll most likely need to search online for a used T/C scope.

What's really nice about a Contender (Encore's not included) is that you can obtain 21" & 23" rifle-length barrels, and legally install Contender Carbine stocks on your frame - then switch as you please from handgun to rifle to handgun (whatever), as long as a barrel less then 16" long aren't on the frame with a carbine buttstock.

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Leverluver wrote:
TedH - having (operative word) HAD a Contender chambered in 30-30 years ago I heartily concur, ...and would also recommend a shooting glove! :)
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

The recoil from a Contender is really not bad, like all handguns, shooting from the bench is felt more. I have shot mostly 445 super mag from the contender, and its not to bad. I think the 454 full power loads in my Freedom Arms 83 is worse. And yes earplugs are needed, as with all shooting.

Steve
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Many years ago, I was stationed in Michigan with USAF. My hunting buddy had a TC Contender chambered for a wildcat named 357 Herrett. This cartridge is a shortened 30-30 case with neck enlarged to 35 caliber. Of course he built his own ammo and had great fun doing so. I missed a running 6 point buck one morning but he dropped it in mid stride with his handgun. The bullet made a big hole as I recall. He had a Leupold fixed power handgun scope mounted to this TC but I do not know the power setting. He carried his handgun in a custom leather holster crafted by a saddle shop.

Years later, we hunted together in Colorado for elk. He brought his custom Remington in 280 Improved and toppled a medium sized bull with this outfit. Distance was about 175 yards or so. My buddy enjoys hunting with "non-factory made" ammo. He always forms his own brass.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I lived and hunted in MI for many years, and one of my favorites was the 375Win Contender for corn & bean-stuffed whitetails.
In the "shotgun zone" in that state, F&G allowed straight-walled cartridges of at least 35 caliber in a handgun. So that put me and my 375 in compliance and with a significant range advantage. Made a perfect tree-stand handgun with the ability to hit a kill zone across the beanfield if needed. Only the 480Ruger out-shined the 375Win for my purposes, but that's a different story.

I started with the 12" Hunter barrel with the factory porting. Accuracy from a rest was stunning. I eventually acquired a Super 14" barrel and had a 2.5" compensator soldered on, making the same barrel legal whether I used the pistol stock or a shoulder stock (in the rifle zones), so I had best confidence in the scope/barrel package year-round.I also had 38-55 rounds that gave reduced recoil and velocity, but still delivered a 375-cal whack.

As to blast: Buy a decent pair of electronic shooting muffs that amplify woods sounds yet clip gunshot reports to a safe level. This is 2015 afterall and there is no excuse for damaging your hearing permanently. I also have a couple Big Bore 375 guns and they're among the last to go. Everyone wants to shoot them when they're out in the daylight, and I have to warn them; That ain't no thutty-thutty!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

mohavesam wrote: I started with the 12" Hunter barrel with the factory porting. Accuracy from a rest was stunning. !

That's encouraging. Now I am wondering if 2x would be enough magnification, or if I'd be better off with a fixed 4x or a variable.
NRA Life Member
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

TedH wrote:
mohavesam wrote: I started with the 12" Hunter barrel with the factory porting. Accuracy from a rest was stunning. !

That's encouraging. Now I am wondering if 2x would be enough magnification, or if I'd be better off with a fixed 4x or a variable.
I have a 2x Leopold on my 44 Redhawk, and with the 375 I would go with a variable EER, you will have the range for the extra magnification where 2x was good to 50-100yards.

Steve