Ruger 96

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger 96

Post by t.r. »

I've never seen another Ruger 96 at the range or anywhere else for that matter. What gives? 44 MAG is a keeper! True, it runs out of steam before many other popular hunting cartridges, but stalking close is most of the fun.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

yes i kinda always wanted one of these!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger 96

Post by AJMD429 »

t.r. wrote:[img]True, it runs out of steam before many other popular hunting cartridges, but stalking close is most of the fun.

TR
A reasonably 'stout' load from a .44 Magnum outperforms a .30-30 out to 100 yards, and maybe alot farther, depending on whether you go by kinetic energy, 'knockdown power' or whatever, and how much you care about trajectory.

Aside from the fact that gunnies just LOVE to argue endlessly about stuff like 'which is better' it probably doesn't make much difference between the two; I'd sure not want shot with either!

Whichever one feels best in your hands, points naturally, and you can hit stuff with will work. I like the little Ruger lever action .22 LR, even though it isn't very traditional.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

My wife took a nice doe with hers last year. I found pieces of the heart ten feet away on the off side, blood everywhere. The deer made it about twenty feet before folding.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I used to walk right by Ruger leverguns without so much as a second glance.

Then I made the "mistake" of picking up a 96/44 at a show once, and made the second, more serious mistake of setting it down "to think about it" -- translation: "To talk myself into spending the $400."

Sure enough, I go back and some guy's doing the paperwork.

Some time passes and I'm in a local shop shooting the breeze and got to the subject of lamenting that Ruger discontinued the 96/44 and discovering it late. Turns out the shop took one in trade that morning, near new and well cared for without a mark on the stock. $385 OTD.

And what a shooter. I replaced the gold bead front sight with an ivory bead, and picked up four extra mags. I take it to the range quite frequently, and it often rides in a locked case in my vehicle on trips, especially on business trips to handgun-unfriendly NY and CT.

Yeah, t.r., the 96 is definitely a keeper!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The 96/44M is a currently offered stocking item from Ruger.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FASubType?typ ... r%20Action

It's the 96/22 (long rifle) that was discontinued (and I got one NIB for $400!!!).

Now they only offer the rimfire in .22Mag & .17 HMR... though from what I understand it's not too difficult to tweak a 10/22 barrel to fit the 96 frame.

I just wish they'd also offer a 96/.357 so someone could come up with a "Hot Lips" .357 banana clip... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Old Ironsights wrote:The 96/44M is a currently offered stocking item from Ruger.

I based my comments on this page, same site:

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults ... type=Rifle

"Suggested Retail Price: Discontinued"

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Noah Zark wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:The 96/44M is a currently offered stocking item from Ruger.

I based my comments on this page, same site:

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults ... type=Rifle

"Suggested Retail Price: Discontinued"

Noah
Huh... When they dropped the 96/22 they pulled it from the website immediately. I wonder what's up.... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!