Pronghorn hunters: Shoot/Dont Shoot ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Pronghorn hunters: Shoot/Dont Shoot ?

Post by jnyork »

For those of you who may be new to hunting the pronghorn out West, there are three factors to consider when deciding whether or not to shoot: length of the horns, thickness of the horns and the length of the prong. Here are a few shots of a pronghorn we encountered in the Red Desert area of Wyoming, keep in mind the quality of the horns will vary quite a bit depending on where you are hunting, for instance, the New Mexico animals generally grow bigger horns than in Wyoming.

In this shot, we see the animal off in the distance, which is why a good set of binoculars are essential and spotting scopes are commonly used. Cant tell much about this guy from this distance, plus the ever-present mirage blurs his image:

Here's a telephoto shot headon. Still cant really judge whats going on with his horns, not a good pose on which to make your decision:

This is a little better, quartering away, you can see the length pretty well but the other factors not so well:

This is the best view, and what you should wait for before you shoot, or not. You can clearly see that he has a nice set of prongs, the prongs are above his ears, the horns are fairly thick and the length is about twice his ears. Figuring the ears are about 7 inches long, this guy is about a 13-14 inch buck. This is about average for this area of Wyoming, not a record breaker by any means but if it was the last day of rifle season I would drop him. If I were hunting with my flintlock and got the drop on this fellow the first 5 minutes of the first day, he would be meat in the pan.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Pronghorn hunters: Shoot/Dont Shoot ?

Post by Old Ironsights »

What's on the other side of the ridgeline?

That's my first question.

Other than that...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old Ironsights wrote:What's on the other side of the ridgeline?

Other than that...
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. This was taken at least 30 miles from the nearest structure or developed road. Still, I would not shoot over a ridgeline like this, the article was intended strictly to show the factors involved in judging a pronghorns horns.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This Missouri boy would have shot him based on the first photo alone. :lol:

Thanks for the pics and info. I'm coming out again, hopefully in 2016. I'd love to shoot one with my Sharps and blackpowder load.
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:What's on the other side of the ridgeline?

Other than that...
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. This was taken at least 30 miles from the nearest structure or developed road. Still, I would not shoot over a ridgeline like this, the article was intended strictly to show the factors involved in judging a pronghorns horns.
I know that... I live out here too, remember? ;) But it's still a Basic Hunter's Safety Question that should be anyone's FIRST concern - if ever so fleeting... :mrgreen:

After that? Especially if he came down just a little, I'd certainly shoot him. There's good meat there.

Maybe I'll see something similar on my 66-1 this season?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I would have to add some caveats, since I'm a trophy hunter with a rifle, but will shoot anything if in handgun or levergun range. So, levergun, BANG--FLOP, same with handgun. Rifle, I'd like to think that I would let him walk, but I also get about pi** excited when I'm hunting so no guarantees. I'd definitely have to hope that I have time to evaluate him and that he's not the first that I saw for the season.

Now, if my teenage girls are hunting with me, I'm ranging while they are getting set up, then hope for the BANG--FLOP. Smiles and chocolate chip cookies all around bartender!

Thanks for the question and the great photos.

SM
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've always heard that "...twice the length of his ears..." as being a good starting point for judging. I'm with Ted!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Dead goat = new chili grind.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

For me it depends on the quality of the stalk. I shot one smaller than him but I had to sneak over 1000 yards to get onto him. I ended up within 80 yards of him after a two hour stalk. To me ,it's more about the hunt than the trophy.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: ,it's more about the hunt than the trophy.
Exactly why I hunted with a flintlock for so many years, seemed like more of a hunt than just driving around until you see one and busting him with the Loudenboomer Mangle'em off the hood of the truck. :roll:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yep, I would have struck a spark on the second picture and let that .535 ball make meat! nice post, thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:For me it depends on the quality of the stalk. I shot one smaller than him but I had to sneak over 1000 yards to get onto him. I ended up within 80 yards of him after a two hour stalk. To me ,it's more about the hunt than the trophy.
Exactly. One of the hardest animals to hunt in the U.S. Anyone can road hunt them but stalking is a whole different animal. First time I ever chased them I was amazed at their eye sight. Closest shot I ever had was 150yds. Farthest was 725 yds and dropped a nice 14in'er. However, I knew guys up in South Dakota that bow hunted them and average shots were 40-45yds.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Sharp sticks and sparking rocks are music to my ears. Wonderful way to learn to hunt and enjoy the smells all about.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

As a life long resident of New England you do not pass up a shot. Success rates are low for hunting so I would definitely shoot. In my mind you may not get another chance
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unless I had just SEEN personally what was or was not on the other side of the ridge I'd not even consider the shot for the "backstop" reason.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Nice pics!

The valley north pf Prescott used to have waves, literally carpets of antelope grazing along the highway. It was a sight to watch as the entire hillsides seemed to undulate with orange/white animals. Nowadays one is pretty lucky to see a herd/harem of one hundred in an entire season. We have 'em in the yard at Son's home, they laugh at his great Dane and pitty, and mow every flower and succulent they can. They seems to avoid walking on the patio stone - strange animals. Old timers say that if you stare at an antelope and blink both eyes, he can see that from 400 yards away.

I don't and my hunting parties don't hunt for horns. There are plenty of city hunters and dudes who still do, just not us. Besides, if one is into walking for miles across the valleys, black sheath sheds are easily picked up every year.

Killing the dominant bucks allows inferior genes to take over the next generation in an area so sparsely populated now. Meat is the only ethical purpose of hunting these days, and now with G&F employing UAVs and manned recon aircraft more and more, and with the misdemeanor crime for leaving "any edible portion" in the field, it's easier to hunt with camera. If you have him "on film", you have a kill shot.

Then go find a doe and start the marinade!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not skylined. You never know what's beyond the ridgeline.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:Not skylined. You never know what's beyond the ridgeline.
Depends on the shot....if it was a close, dead certain shot, I'd take it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
No. It doesn't depend. Never shoot a skylined animal. Cows, horses, and people are out there, even if no houses or barns are.
The bullet goes through pronghorns. Not much to them.

My brother-in-law is one of the most easy going people I ever met. But, I saw him un-invite more than one hunter for shooting at a skylined animal. If you can't trust their judgment, you don't want them on the place.

All you have to do is wait and see if he drops down. If he crosses over, try to get within range again. It's hunting. The fun part is getting close enough for a safe shot.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
I can't get past my dad telling me to never take a shot at a skylined animal. Likely as not there is nothing to be harmed if I missed. But...
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ouch. 8)
But, the man said there is nothing out there. Nothing. That's also part of Depends. :)
Don't tell me when you hunt squirrels you don't shoot them in trees. :wink:
Of course, if you can't make a broadside shot, on a supported position at fifty yards...... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:Ouch. 8)
But, the man said there is nothing out there. Nothing. That's also part of Depends. :)
Of course, if you can't make a broadside shot, on a supported position at fifty yards...... :lol:
There may or may not be "nothing out there". Why risk it?
I haven't hunted squirrel in years. I use a 20 gauge shotgun. Too many houses around me.
No one is saying you might miss the pronghorn. I've shot 30 or more in my life, from 40 to 300 yards. Never missed one. But, on every single one, the bullet went all the way through the animal and continued on into the ground. From a .243 to a .45-70 and lots of calibers in between.

It's real easy to get "buck fever" and want to pop a shot off at one. I just calm myself down (so I can make a better shot) and that gives me time to "see" my surroundings and make wise choices. The past 4 or 5 I've shot have been with un-scoped leverguns, so getting closer has not been optional. Their body is so much smaller than a mule deer that it's easy to mis-judge the distance.

If I can ever get a license again, I'll have you meet me in Montana sometime Blaine and we'll go get one. The blue tongue and blizzards and drought really took a toll on the MT pronghorn population. I used to get a license about 2 out of 3 attempts and now it's more like 1 out of 6. It is a very enjoyable type of hunting.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Ouch. 8)
There may or may not be "nothing out there". Why risk it?
I haven't hunted squirrel in years. I use a 20 gauge shotgun. Too many houses around me.
No one is saying you might miss the pronghorn. I've shot 30 or more in my life, from 40 to 300 yards. Never missed one. But, on every single one, the bullet went all the way through the animal and continued on into the ground. From a .243 to a .45-70 and lots of calibers in between.

It's real easy to get "buck fever" and want to pop a shot off at one. I just calm myself down (so I can make a better shot) and that gives me time to "see" my surroundings and make wise choices. The past 4 or 5 I've shot have been with un-scoped leverguns, so getting closer has not been optional. Their body is so much smaller than a mule deer that it's easy to mis-judge the distance.

If I can ever get a license again, I'll have you meet me in Montana sometime Blaine and we'll go get one. The blue tongue and blizzards and drought really took a toll on the MT pronghorn population. I used to get a license about 2 out of 3 attempts and now it's more like 1 out of 6. It is a very enjoyable type of hunting.
Sounds good....give me a heads up, and I'll go tie one to a tree for you.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The article was presented only to show what a hunter should be looking at in terms of horns, not whether to shoot on the skyline. The question was, should you shoot the pronghorn, NOT should you shoot him on the skyline. The pix were taken 30 miles from a developed road or structure, and we did not see another human all day. Nevertheless, I would not shoot with him on the skyline like that.

Hope everyone is happy with that. :lol: