GUN SAFETY REMINDER-

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shane-vs-wilson
Levergunner

GUN SAFETY REMINDER-

Post by shane-vs-wilson »

GUN SAFETY REMINDER: I GOT MY OLD RUGER 10-22 OUT TODAY. 1965 MODEL. HAVE'NT SHOT IT IN AWHILE. I BOUGHT THIS FROM AN OLD MAN BACK IN 1979. ONE OF THE THINGS HE SHOWED ME WAS A SAFTEY TIP. ALWAYS KEEP THE SAFTEY ON TILL READY TO SHOOT. OK I SAY. I KNOW THAT. HE LOADED THE GUN AN KNELT DOWN ON ONE KNEE. HE THEN TAPPED THE STOCK ON THE GROUND, THE GUN FIRED. HE BACKED UP TO A TREE AN TAPPED THE STOCK AGAINST THE TREE, AGAIN THE GUN FIRED. HE DID THIS TILL THE 10 ROUND CLIP WAS EMPTY. IT DID'NT TAKE MUCH OF A TAP EITHER. I WAS AMAZED TO SAY THE LEAST. I HAVE NEVER FORGOT THIS. SO AS EARL PITTS WOULD SAY "WAKE UP AMERICA" JUST A REMINDER BE SAFE. THANKS
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: GUN SAFETY REMINDER-

Post by plowboy 45 »

I've noticed lots of folks guns when they show them to me, although unloaded the safety will be red or off, can't figure it
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

plowboy 45 wrote:I've noticed lots of folks guns when they show them to me, although unloaded the safety will be red or off, can't figure it
I'll have to try that with my 10/22 - I know they've modified the action a bit over the years, but if the sears bump off that easily, it is a bit scary.

Even if I'm handing a firearm to someone who "knows about guns" I always make it a point to render whatever the gun is 'safe' as appropriate, which ALWAYS means no round in any chamber(s) of a bolt action, semiauto, or revolver, and almost always[ means no rounds in the magazine, or the magazine is removed. The exception would be if I have a levergun that has a loaded magazine I will just barely open the bolt so the empty chamber can be plainly seen, but not fully open the bolt (as it would be too easy to close the lever and the gun be ready to fire before I could intervene). I don't plan to need to 'intervene' in the cases of handing the firearm to someone knowledgeable, but you never know - sometimes someone has only handled certain types of firearms, or perhaps they secondarily hand the firearm to a novice standing nearby (or in one case a novice literally grabbed the gun out of the hands of the experienced gun owner I was handing a single-action revolver to).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shane-vs-wilson
Levergunner

Post by shane-vs-wilson »

FOLKS I'M NOT SAYING TO BANG YOUR GUNS. ONE OF THE BAD POSSIBLES IS THIS. SAY THE SAFETY IS OFF, YOUR STANDING UP, YOU JUST LET IT SLIP DOWN TO THE GROUND NEXT TO YOUR LEG BUTT FIRST FOR A REST, THINK OF WHERE THE BULLET COULD GO.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That ain't usual.......Ditch that puppy or sent it to Ruger.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

When I was 14 I owned a Mossberg 142A with the adjustable trigger for woodchuck hunting. I had it set light and never swung the thumb safety to fire until it was up and pointed and the backside of my trigger finger was pressed against the inside front edge of the trigger guard.
Then my father took it out while I was at school. He didn't like safeties and liked to keep his finger on the trigger for snap shots.
The bullet missed his toe and I didn't own a Mossberg anymore.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Once upon a time on a Friday afternoon I was on a 28 foot Gill net boat headed across the Chesapeake bay with by buddy Frank and his father.

His father worked at a GM dealership in Newport News and was always trading guns with the people he worked with.

We were a few miles off shore when Franks dad spied some sea ducks and reached inside the cabin and came out with a over and under 20 GA, he dropped two shells in and closed it up and both barrels went off, it blew about a 4 inch hole about eight inches below the waterline.

Frank and I were sitting on the engine house drinking a beer and I started to get up and Frank grabbed my oil skins and sat me back down, Franks dad looked at me and Frank then looked at the geyser at his feet looked at the gun then thru it over board.

Then Frank and me got up went in the cabin grabbed some rags and stuffed them in the hole and continued on and set our nets.

-------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never had a Ruger or any other firearm do this. I suspect that it has been tinkered with. As mentioned, send it to Ruger for repair.

As to the safety issue. What are the rules of gun safety? If you don't know, learn. Apply and relax.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sum Ding Wong wif that Ruger. Perhaps a too "aggressive" trigger job. I'd either send it to Ruger or replace the sear/trigger (parts are available lots of places, jes google "Ruger 10-22 parts").
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

plowboy 45 wrote:I've noticed lots of folks guns when they show them to me, although unloaded the safety will be red or off, can't figure it
that nearly but not always means the action is cocked.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Good last step in a function check is slamming the butt on the ground cocked and empty.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Your 10-22 is defective. easily repairable but Ruger will do it for free,cost you shipping one way only. Or look online for a take off trigger group. Lots of them to be found now that Ruger has their own target trigger group assy. out there for sale. OR BUY ONE OF THE NEW RUGER TARGET TRIGGERS AND INSTALL IT.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wonder if someone tried to convert it to bump fire. Stupid thing to do. Destroys any attempt at accurate fire and pushes the limits of legality most places. Not to mention the chance of a ND.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:OR BUY ONE OF THE NEW RUGER TARGET TRIGGERS AND INSTALL IT.
Have you ever tried one of them...?

I got one just to check it out, and it doesn't really seem all that good... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

AJMD429 wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:OR BUY ONE OF THE NEW RUGER TARGET TRIGGERS AND INSTALL IT.
Have you ever tried one of them...?

I got one just to check it out, and it doesn't really seem all that good... :|
No I have not. I have three 10-22's , all have Volquartson (sp.?)kits in them from Brownells. Those Volquartson hammer kits turn that trigger pull into "SWEET" . Any improvement over the stock Ruger trigger is worth trying IMHO.