Neck Sizing 32/20 and 25/20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Neck Sizing 32/20 and 25/20

Post by earlmck »

I'm a reloader who doesn't like to mess with lube, especially cleaning it off the cases, so I make use of carbide sizing when possible, and those Lee collet-neck sizers.

A few months ago I asked what fellow 32/20 loaders were using as a carbide neck die (I had just discovered that my purty little 30 carbine die didn't reduce the neck enough). Got some good answers (a couple of you suggested the Hornady one-shot lube for which I really thank you!)

What I ended up doing is getting an RCBS neck-insert die for 7mmBenchRest and cutting it down enough to push the 32/20 into the neck insert. Here is my new neck size baby:
NeckDie3363.jpg
The neck portion of the die was too small so I drilled it out some with a 3/8" drill in the drill press. Now a .321" neck insert is just about right for my 3 different brands of 32/20 cases, followed by the Lyman "M" die to neck expand with a slight bell. Here is one of the neck inserts:
NeckInsert3369.jpg
I had got the Neck Die because I figured I'd also be able to use it for the 25/20. And so I can changing to a .271" neck insert. There was a slight hitch to the plan, though. The first pass through I got this little oops -- bulged shoulder because of hitting a restriction.
ScrunchedNeck3370.jpg
The restriction was the unthreaded portion of the decapping stem which was too large diameter. So I spun the stem in my hand drill while grinding down the offending portion of the stem with a dremel tool.
ReducedStem3367.jpg
Voila! She works.

And as a bonus I picked up a .279" insert which should work nicely for 250 Savage and 25 Remington.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Neck Sizing 32/20 and 25/20

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Looks like some great ingenuity!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Neck Sizing 32/20 and 25/20

Post by J35 »

Nice work around Mr. Earl

I bought a Redding 30-20 neck die many years ago it came with two expander's one for .308 and the other one .312.

I never use lube with any of my steel neck size only dies. If they don't size smooth I make them with a little Flitz and a dremel.

-------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!