John Wayne shooting cyclists.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

John Wayne shooting cyclists.

Post by gamekeeper »

My son sent me this, as he knows my feelings on cyclists...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPUe80oBZw
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: John Wayne shooting cyclists.

Post by AJMD429 »

That IS funny. Probably some psycho will enact it and then it won't be funny.

I don't know why, but I also find "cyclists" somewhat annoying. Maybe because lots of them are self-absorbed yuppies with too much money and free time on their hands and I'm just jealous... :lol:

On the other hand, many of them are actually friends of mine and just as 'good old boy' as anyone else...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's their air of nobility. "I'M SAVING THE PLANET". In Seattle (naturally :roll: ) they have become militant and will attack cars they believe have dissed them. Heck, on most streets here in Loony Land, they have right of way to the whole dang street. I ride bicycle when my knees aren't killing me, but I can somehow manage to stay over, even in the gravel if necessary, and rarely draw the ire of a motorist.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

He might not be smiling so broadly, if they were shooting back!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

People change depending on what they are driving/riding. Drivers of huge RVs seem to lapse into a perminate vacation mind set, ignoring everyone around their hulking beasts. Cyclists seem to become arrogant jerks demanding their "right of way", and it increases exponentially with the number of cyclists in a group....
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

On my August vacation road trip in Colorado and New Mexico, we saw several cyclists on mountain roads and they were all working hard and staying to the right of the lane, especially on the mountain passes.
I would not dare to ride a bike on those passes, especially on the canyon road leading to Estes Park entrance to Rocky Mountain Park or the Red Mountain Pass ( http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-ame ... s-usa.html ) .
They must be supremely well conditioned and confident OR have a death wish!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd post this elsewhere, but I don't want to be responsible for millions of liberal heads exploding.... :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

:lol: I don't care who you are, that there is funny! :lol: :lol:

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, but why music from a Clint Eastwood flick?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

John was good, I didn't see a single miss. :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks 'ol John just didn't miss did he.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

They were the bane of motorists' existence in Teton N. P., back in the day.. The roads were/are very narrow, and passing oncoming motor homes, while pulling a loaded 10 horse trailer could be dicey at best.. Add a cyclist or 2, who demanded an entire lane for themselves, and things could get pretty Western.. It wasn't that unusual to check the mirrors and see one or more disappear off the shoulder in a cloud of dust.. I've witnessed far too many of them sneaking up along the right side of trailers when traffic gets bogged down a bit, which happens in the Parks. They can become a real hazard, real fast..
In my humble opinion, the only purpose for a bicycle helmet is to preserve enough evidence for facial identification of a cyclist's remains..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:I'd post this elsewhere, but I don't want to be responsible for millions of liberal heads exploding.... :lol: :lol:
Can I take the rap? I don't mind... and they don't have one between them...

As for "saving the planet" - a Royal Enfield C5 gets 70mpg, accepts a sidecar... and you don't have to pedal.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Drove 200+ miles yesterday on Hwy 101 on the southern Oregon coast. I can normally make the trip well within 5 hours (a few small towns with 25 MPH limits, and a couple places winding around mtns. ay 25-35 MPH). I got behind an RV, along with as many as 12 other vehicles, and continued along at 40-45 MPH for mebbe 15 miles and finally worked my way to the spot behind the RV. I could see through the back window and noticed the driver watching the ocean and gesturing to the passenger, pointing out the rocks, beach, etc. while dropping down to 40 MPH, from mebbe 50 while the limit is an easy 55 (I've made this same trip mebbe 75 times due to cancer treatments in another town and in reality, there's only a dozen places where it's unsafe to go 55, and most of the time "normal" drivers/vehicles are going around 60). This guy was clueless and couldn't see the dozen vehicles behind him. It wouldn't make any difference how he wanted to drive except 101 is the main highway along several hundred miles of the Oregon coast and the only connection between many, many town along the coast. 90% of the hwy. is one lane in each direction, but at least once each time I make the trip, some feller driving a big toy is lost in his "vacation mindset" and ignores the world outside his 40' wheeled apartment...

Rant? Mebbe. Real? Yep!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

It`s all those skinny butt`s that annoy us.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Booger Bill wrote:It`s all those skinny butt`s that annoy us.
What Booger Bill said ^ :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shasta wrote::lol: I don't care who you are, that there is funny! :lol: :lol:

Shasta
+1

I can't stand cyclists! Pick a darn street that you can use safely and stay the heck out of the way of people in cars who actually have to go someplace for a purpose - and aren't just clogging the roads for the heck of it! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Real classy.

Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

2571 wrote:Real classy.

Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?
Yes I have but peeing you off is fun!.... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Guys, quit you complaining. Here's the deal in LA. The mayor is a cyclist. He has created many bike lanes that resulted in the removal of vehicle lanes. Other right vehicle lanes are marked that cyclists can use the entire lane and they do to the detriment of traffic flow.

Now we have a law that says we must maintain a safe zone of several feet between our vehicles and bikes. Guess what, bikes can come as close as they want, and if seen by an office the driver can be ticketed. It's happened to a couple of folks I know already. You can beat the ticket but you know what that entails.

Now mind you I ride. But maybe it's my age, or maybe the way I was taught, but I know my bike is no match for a vehicle and ride accordingly.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm a cyclist at heart... and I thought it was funny... if a little insensitive... but, wait, aren't those the funniest? If we can't laugh at ourselves, we've lost a major part of our humanity... IMO. And are no better than those of a certain religious bent that are bound & determined to destroy us. Let's not stoop to their level.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:...
Now we have a law that says we must maintain a safe zone of several feet between our vehicles and bikes. Guess what, bikes can come as close as they want, and if seen by an office the driver can be ticketed. It's happened to a couple of folks I know already. You can beat the ticket but you know what that entails. ...
No kidding. Seen it happen. Bicyclist (kid) T-Bones a car because he wants to run a Red while the car has the Green.

Car Driver gets the Ticket.

Madness.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Broke a collar bone in two places not staying on a mountain bike. Those dumps can be painful. The mayor here who put in the bike lanes is also a personal injury attorney with over one billion in recoveries.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Biker trash.

It's better than they deserve.

:twisted:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:
jeepnik wrote:...
Now we have a law that says we must maintain a safe zone of several feet between our vehicles and bikes. Guess what, bikes can come as close as they want, and if seen by an office the driver can be ticketed. It's happened to a couple of folks I know already. You can beat the ticket but you know what that entails. ...
No kidding. Seen it happen. Bicyclist (kid) T-Bones a car because he wants to run a Red while the car has the Green.

Car Driver gets the Ticket.

Madness.

Actually witnessed one of these some years back. Everyday riding home from work on my mountain bike a fellow on a nice road bike would pass me. Well one day it just wasn't going to happen, but he did. We were scooting along pretty good with a green light ahead. He entered the intersection just as an old Datsun pickup blew through the light. Bike hit right at the front wheel well.

The rider and bike went over the truck, bounced once still connected to the bike and came free on the second bounce. Truck pulled over, but driver disappeared while I was taking care of the rider. He was hurt pretty bad, I had nothing to work with so a caring voice, a hand to hold and what little I could do seemed to be enough.

Cops and paramedics arrived. He went to hospital and now everyone is looking for the driver. He shows up as says he was making a phone call (pre cell days). We all figured he was calling the EMS guys.

A short time later a woman shows up. She's his sister, she's a lawyer, she tell the driver to keep quite. This ************ hadn't called for help. He called for a lawyer.

The cops cuff the guy for leaving the scene of an accident. She mouths off, they cuff her for interfering.

He claimed the light was green. Five other lanes of stopped traffic, and several witness' blew that all to get out.

In the end, the rider did recover, it took months. The driver ended up in county jail. And the lawyer, well she's a lawyer she got off scott free.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Except in the case I mentioned it was the BIKE that ran the Red. The car was 100% legal (other cars in the same intersection all with the green) but still got the ticket for not giving clearance to the bike (who, had he missed the car would have been creamed by the rest of the cross traffic...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wow, as a cyclist of five decades, I can't really come to the same conclusions many of you have written. I am sure there are plenty of what you have written out there and that is unfortunate. I have been hit three times by a car trying to hit me while I rode on the right hand side of the white line near the shoulder. In each case, the vehicle swerved to hit me in order to put me in the ditch. I have also been hit twice while running on those back roads with low traffic volume. I have also had objects thrown at me and in one case, a firearm was discharged in my direction as I was buzzed by a motorist. An awful lot of intolerance out there and in this thread. Your opinions are based on your experience as are mine. Just a different perspective. May there be tolerance for all and by all who share the road legally.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:Wow, as a cyclist of five decades, I can't really come to the same conclusions many of you have written. I am sure there are plenty of what you have written out there and that is unfortunate. I have been hit three times by a car trying to hit me while I rode on the right hand side of the white line near the shoulder. In each case, the vehicle swerved to hit me in order to put me in the ditch. I have also been hit twice while running on those back roads with low traffic volume. I have also had objects thrown at me and in one case, a firearm was discharged in my direction as I was buzzed by a motorist. An awful lot of intolerance out there and in this thread. Your opinions are based on your experience as are mine. Just a different perspective. May there be tolerance for all and by all who share the road legally.
Aspwholes are aspwholes no matter what they ride.

But, unlike the Bicycle Aspwholes, the Criminally Violent Redneck Jerks don't try to get laws made to make the world revolve around them... then try to justify it with Liberal/Eco political blather.

But, FWIW, IMO The Criminally Violent Redneck Jerks need to be shot for attempted assault with a deadly weapon (their car) Knock me down and I might just get up shooting...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rjohns94 wrote:Wow, as a cyclist of five decades, I can't really come to the same conclusions many of you have written. I am sure there are plenty of what you have written out there and that is unfortunate. I have been hit three times by a car trying to hit me while I rode on the right hand side of the white line near the shoulder. In each case, the vehicle swerved to hit me in order to put me in the ditch. I have also been hit twice while running on those back roads with low traffic volume. I have also had objects thrown at me and in one case, a firearm was discharged in my direction as I was buzzed by a motorist. An awful lot of intolerance out there and in this thread. Your opinions are based on your experience as are mine. Just a different perspective. May there be tolerance for all and by all who share the road legally.

Amen -- the road is mine too --- i know i'm slower than them, but i am not going to ride on the shoulder in all the broken glass and miscellaneous debris that accumulates there
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just a matter of courtesy. Like other groups, most are courtesy and realize that they need to choose where they bike and not pick high traffic or dangerous areas. Unfortunately, a minority elects to do exactly the opposite. Case in point - a lone bike rider cycling on a heavily-traveled dangerous road today during rush hour darn near caused several head-on collisions. No shoulder exists on this road near my house, and it is under construction. Idiocy. Like so many other groups, a few bad apples really tarnish everyone.
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Steve :D
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Here cyclists are treated the same. My brother got a ticket for running a red light on his cycle! Yes you do need to stick to speed limits too. You can get a ticket for cycling faster than 50km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Also you can get fined for not having a helmet.

I heard of an English aristocrat who used to shoot at motor vehicles as they upset the game!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

gamekeeper wrote:My son sent me this, as he knows my feelings on cyclists...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPUe80oBZw
hahahaha that's great. Love the shot at about :30 where he takes out about 50 in one shot, then cuts back with him and the odd look wondering how the heck one bullet did all that :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the Dallas, TX area, the cyclists can be just as annoying as the people who drive anything from Dodge. Both groups have the "I am the only one who matters!!!" mindset. I always look out for cyclists and Dodge vehicles just to avoid accidents. I would rather be in a group of businessmen driving with their laptop computers in in front of them, as is seen daily on what is called central expressway, than a road with just me and a Dodge. Safer with the businessmen driving with their noses in their laptop computers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

In 1965 I was riding with a guy. We were downtown Burbank and he parallel parked. Without checking the mirror he opened his door. A kid of about 13 smashed into the open door, dumped it and was all skun up. The kid was bawling and my partner was bawling him out!
About seven years ago I and the wife stopped by our mailbox. A couple kids came racing down the hill and one dumped his bike and broke his leg right in arms reach of me. It was bad! you could see about 7"s of his leg bone sticking out of his leg! He was like a wild animal thrashing around. I had to bear hug him to keep him from hurting himself farther. At the moment in the excitement I hadn't recognized him as a next door neighbor. They had recently moved in. His folks wasn't home so my wife ran in our house and got some clean towels and we drove him to the hospital. His dad and we became good friends by it.
When my ex wife was about a 5 year old girl her dad ran over her backing out of his garage. Think she said she was riding a tricycle.
My dad told about his older brother driving home from grade school in about 1919 with him and some sisters. He must have been a mean kid as he let a neighbor kid riding a bike hang on the car for a free fast ride home. Uncle john speeded up and the kid was scared to let go. Uncle John took a curve as fast as he dared and the kid had to let go! He went through a barbed wire fence!
Can you imagine kid`s driving cars to grade school these days? Actually when I was going to grade school in 1947/1948 I recall two brothers that drove a about 1928 Chev coupe to school!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Just a matter of courtesy. Like other groups, most are courtesy and realize that they need to choose where they bike and not pick high traffic or dangerous areas. Unfortunately, a minority elects to do exactly the opposite. Case in point - a lone bike rider cycling on a heavily-traveled dangerous road today during rush hour darn near caused several head-on collisions. No shoulder exists on this road near my house, and it is under construction. Idiocy. Like so many other groups, a few bad apples really tarnish everyone.
Maybe he was going to work ---- speaking for myself - i have the luxury of being able to pick my routes and times i ride, others dont. But just because i choose to travel lightly travelled lake roads and the like doesnt mean i am going to roll over and give up my rights to use the rest of the roads that i pay for if i need to

Personally, the current fascination with cell phones scares the heck out of me whether i am riding my bicycle or my street motorcycle - there has been more than a few people space out and hit a cyclist/motorcyclist from behind while sitting at a stop sign or red light

But if motorists wish for me to ride only on peaceful lake roads (which i do ) or government mandated bike paths , i will ask everyone applicable to please turn in all your firearms with non sporting purposes as well,

The best modern example of relinquishing their rights is the smokers -- it started out slowly with more and more places banning smoking, -- but now you cant even light up if your spending a day at a beach or an evening out at a bar
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

About 1965 I and my buddy got off work at midnight. It was a hot summer night and instead of going straight home we decided to just ride around awhile. This was in San Fernando Valley. We were riding motorcycles and were in uniform. Some jerk tried to kill us. There was no other traffic, a dead night. We were going slow side by side talking. I heard a car hit passing gear behind us. The road "lit up" due to his fast oncoming headlights. He was out to kill us! My partner and I had rode a lot together and each knew just how the other would react. Bill got far over to the left as there was no oncoming traffic and gave me space to zoom around a parallel parked car and skim alongside high curb. I believe the vehicle the guy was driving was a hot El Camino. He had a woman with him and I seen she had her hand to her mouth screaming as he went through us from behind wide open. Her window was open.
He was probably doing 80 and accelerating. We were doing 30 ish. About two blocks ahead of us the light was on red. He ran it at least at a 100!
About a week later again going home from work I came up on Bill stacked up on someones front yard. The same person had tried to get him again! Bill had to run off the street and laid her down on someone`s front yard. He also had tried to kill another cyclist or two and there was a article in the paper for a few days to warn other riders. They did catch him later. Had we caught him the first time I believe he might have not survived.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Booger Bill wrote:About 1965 I and my buddy got off work at midnight. It was a hot summer night and instead of going straight home we decided to just ride around awhile. This was in San Fernando Valley. We were riding motorcycles and were in uniform. Some jerk tried to kill us. There was no other traffic, a dead night. We were going slow side by side talking. I heard a car hit passing gear behind us. The road "lit up" due to his fast oncoming headlights. He was out to kill us! My partner and I had rode a lot together and each knew just how the other would react. Bill got far over to the left as there was no oncoming traffic and gave me space to zoom around a parallel parked car and skim alongside high curb. I believe the vehicle the guy was driving was a hot El Camino. He had a woman with him and I seen she had her hand to her mouth screaming as he went through us from behind wide open. Her window was open.
He was probably doing 80 and accelerating. We were doing 30 ish. About two blocks ahead of us the light was on red. He ran it at least at a 100!
About a week later again going home from work I came up on Bill stacked up on someones front yard. The same person had tried to get him again! Bill had to run off the street and laid her down on someone`s front yard. He also had tried to kill another cyclist or two and there was a article in the paper for a few days to warn other riders. They did catch him later. Had we caught him the first time I believe he might have not survived.

In life , there's not much you can do about the "Crazy factor" --- if there is somebody who is a total irrational nut case - it can be hard for rational people to defend against when their guard is down ----

I'm glad your buddy and yourself pulled it out, i have enjoyed your life stories, (and pics of your bbq guns :) )
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks Doug. I now live a retired sedentary life and have time to dream and write. Didn't save enough to travel. All my old buddy's are gone.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I generally don't have a problem with bicycles, but in this town of liberal mayhem, they think they own the road, and act like automobiles should stay off of them. I constantly see bicyclists blow through red lights and 4 way stop intersections without so much as looking up. I don't mind sharing the road, but by God you better heed the same traffic laws as the rest of us.
NRA Life Member
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

bicyclists take their lives in hand when they ride the roads around where I live.

two lane, narrow, with little, to no, shoulder to escape and evade if necessary.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:I generally don't have a problem with bicycles, but in this town of liberal mayhem, they think they own the road, and act like automobiles should stay off of them. I constantly see bicyclists blow through red lights and 4 way stop intersections without so much as looking up. I don't mind sharing the road, but by God you better heed the same traffic laws as the rest of us.
This.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Streetstar wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Maybe he was going to work ---- speaking for myself - i have the luxury of being able to pick my routes and times i ride, others dont. But just because i choose to travel lightly travelled lake roads and the like doesnt mean i am going to roll over and give up my rights to use the rest of the roads that i pay for if i need to

Personally, the current fascination with cell phones scares the heck out of me whether i am riding my bicycle or my street motorcycle - there has been more than a few people space out and hit a cyclist/motorcyclist from behind while sitting at a stop sign or red light

But if motorists wish for me to ride only on peaceful lake roads (which i do ) or government mandated bike paths , i will ask everyone applicable to please turn in all your firearms with non sporting purposes as well,

The best modern example of relinquishing their rights is the smokers -- it started out slowly with more and more places banning smoking, -- but now you cant even light up if your spending a day at a beach or an evening out at a bar
Well it seem cyclists (I was one for 15 years) seem to think THEY have all the rights of motorists. Hmm, maybe a driver safety course, before license testing by DMV, (similar to motorcycel test) then say $100 a year for registration, then how about mandatory lights, brake lights, turn signals, and oh yes driver emission testing (sorry had to throw that one in there). Then add to that the requirement they meet ALL road driving requirements, such as signalling at least 100ft before turning, and lane changes, stopping at ALL posted stops.

I live on a windy, rural country road that cyclists seem to love. One day while getting my teeth cleaned at dentist's office, the hygienist tells me she is one of "those people that I must hate". I replied that I do not hate them at all, I was one. I just told her I think they are stupid. They will ride side by side on blind curves, down hills, up hills, and this is on a road with a 55 MPH speed limit. So if someone is stupid enough to DEMAND their space, at the risk of loosing their life, so be it. Guys this is rural living. Folks here are hauling everything from 10 horse cattle trailers, to semi's hauling loads of hay, and RV'ers, plus about once a month the sports car clubs like to gather. They drive everything from vintage cars to Lamborgini's. Our road is BARELY 2 lanes, with MANY blind up and downhill curves. Imagine coming around a curve, towing a loaded trailer weighing 12K, at 40 MPH, and coming up behind a cyclists in the center of the road doing 10, because he just topped a hill. I can tell you the cyclist is not going to win.

So you end up with a dead cyclist (it has already happened) and 2 ruined families. Is it WORTH IT TO RIDE THERE?

There used to be a commercial that said there was such a thing as being right, or being "dead right" You pick. I can tell you NONE of the cyclists on this road are commuting. Tell me the logic behind an idiotic law that demand 3 ft clearance, from a cyclist, on a 10ft wide road with an 8.5ft wide vehicle? That's pure liberal, self serving stupidity. Period!

Bike lanes are there for a cyclists safety, not a Government Mandated lane. What makes your lane more mandated than the cars?

Use bike lanes and stay out of the way of cars!

For the record, I have had guns pointed at me too, (yes cops were called and folks were arrested) but I am smart enough to know that the next time it might be someone just not paying attention to the road, and dead is still dead.

Oh, one more thing. Riding a bike on a public street is NOT a Constitutionally given right, IT'S A GOVERNMENT GIVEN PRIVILEGE, JUST LIKE DRIVING A CAR!!!!! Poor comparison.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

handirifle wrote:
Streetstar wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Tell me the logic behind an idiotic law that demand 3 ft clearance, from a cyclist, on a 10ft wide road with an 8.5ft wide vehicle? That's pure liberal, self serving stupidity. Period!

Oh, one more thing. Riding a bike on a public street is NOT a Constitutionally given right, IT'S A GOVERNMENT GIVEN PRIVILEGE, JUST LIKE DRIVING A CAR!!!!! Poor comparison.

Well, -- doing anything on a public street is not a constitutionally given right is it? ----- ITs a GOVERNMENT GIVEN PRIVILEGE to use the very roads i pay for? No

How about this -- how about we get GOVERNMENT GIVEN PRIVILEGES allocated to us at the rate we pay taxes? Thats fair right? -- I pay roughly the same amount of taxes in a year as 10 schoolteachers -- that means i should have 10 times the amount of GOVERNMENT PRIVILEGE

Your ramblings make little sense ----- The cyclist may be taking his chances on a heavilly travelled with not much shoulder, but he has a right to be there too . And your not much of a cyclist if you advocate riding only on GOVERNMENT MANDATED BIKE LANES
----- Doug
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I gave up cycling 10 years ago when I got tired of being too close to cars, with NO BIKE LANE TO RIDE IN. Sorry, but it's not a RIGHT. Look it up, neither is driving, it's a state provided privilege that CAN BE REVOKED. Get a DUI, drive reckless etc, you lose your license. Do not pass the test, lose your license. States can and do grant privileges, and they are granted equally if you qualify.

Bike lanes are not mandated, and riders take their lives in their own hands on shoulderless roads. I personally do not care how much one person pays in taxes, boo hoo. It's based on the vehicle on the road. Road use taxes, registration fees etc. THAT goes (or is supposed to) to the highway upkeep. Bicyclists pay nothing, yet demand their RIGHT to ride on the same roads.

I am not anti cyclist, I am not against their being able to exercise, and enjoy the scenery, but it infuriates me when they start demanding their rights of the road. To ride roads like that, with an arrogant attitude, and defiant demeanor, is pure stupidity, and utterly baffling to me.