Don't believe Hughes Net Ads!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Don't believe Hughes Net Ads!

Post by JohndeFresno »

This company is dishonest and will not fulfill its promises! There was a successful class action suit because of their lies.

I would say that this topic is relevant to Levergunners here because you would not be reading this except for your Internet Service Provicer (ISP).

I am amazed to see that Hughes Net ISP is still in business, advertising the same lie that they were exposed for -
"Fast internet."

I received my small settlement, but still lost money and quite a lot of internet usage over several months, as well as a much slower speed than promised. I know this because there are sites that you can visit that test and report your throughput for free.

Had I not fought them and invited them to sue me, I would have lost more money due to the contract that I was locked into, despite their failure to live up to their contract. Then, about a year later, I received a notification of the class action suit from other users who had also been snookered.

See an earlier thread for some particulars of how a class action suit exposed them:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 7&p=733189
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Don't believe Hughes Net Ads!

Post by Blaine »

:evil: I've never heard anything good about this company.

Comcast get a bad rap, but I've had nothing but solid, dependable service from them.
When I was having trouble with my internet dropping out, the clerk in the service center advised me to get the five buck a month line insurance, wait a couple days, then have the serviceperson out. He replaced every stitch of cable, and connectors from the top of the pole to the back of my computer and it didn't cost a thing. My speed is 100+ download, and over 12 upload....could not be happier.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Never believe in Ads, promises or sales people. I automatically replace those terms with the word lies or liar, that way, it saves disappointment. Generalizing here, but the best sales pitches are the biggest lies. Its sad to see that it is so readily accepted here in the USA in this day and age.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote::evil: I've never heard anything good about this company.

Comcast get a bad rap, but I've had nothing but solid, dependable service from them.
When I was having trouble with my internet dropping out, the clerk in the service center advised me to get the five buck a month line insurance, wait a couple days, then have the serviceperson out. He replaced every stitch of cable, and connectors from the top of the pole to the back of my computer and it didn't cost a thing. My speed is 100+ download, and over 12 upload....could not be happier.
They stuck it to you, they should have at their cost replaced everything up to your and including the modem. But, at least in the future you won't be billed for service calls, btw make sure your modem and any set top boxes are included in the monthly 5 bucks insurance. Those modems can be expensive and they like to bill you for such things, lightning really causes them to fail, and it doesn't take much.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:

They stuck it to you, they should have at their cost replaced everything up to your and including the modem. But, at least in the future you won't be billed for service calls, btw make sure your modem and any set top boxes are included in the monthly 5 bucks insurance. Those modems can be expensive and they like to bill you for such things, lightning really causes them to fail, and it doesn't take much.

Steve
They did about 500 bucks worth of work. I can cancel that 5 a month anytime I want...So, I applaud the clerk at the service store for her honesty. Did I mention that they gave me a 10 buck per month discount for the next two years? A good wireless modem is expensive, and five a month is a good deal.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
They did about 500 bucks worth of work. I can cancel that 5 a month anytime I want...So, I applaud the clerk at the service store for her honesty. Did I mention that they gave me a 10 buck per month discount for the next two years? A good wireless modem is expensive, and five a month is a good deal.
I know they told you it would be 500 dollars, but it's part of what they own and need to make it right, or maybe the law is different in your state, in NY the different companies own the modem/router and associate wiring, (some of the telephone wiring is your property) and the companies have to at their expense replace and wire to get your service to what the speed the company sold to you.
For instance, you buy 100 by 12 service, the installer must replace all associated wiring to get the speed that you bought, after that, then they can charge you if you cut the wire or break the wiring ect. But the company must make it work at what speed they sold to you in the first place. I hope this makes sense, they way I write it.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
I know they told you it would be 500 dollars, but it's part of what they own and need to make it right, or maybe the law is different in your state, in NY the different companies own the modem/router and associate wiring, (some of the telephone wiring is your property) and the companies have to at their expense replace and wire to get your service to what the speed the company sold to you.
For instance, you buy 100 by 12 service, the installer must replace all associated wiring to get the speed that you bought, after that, then they can charge you if you cut the wire or break the wiring ect. But the company must make it work at what speed they sold to you in the first place. I hope this makes sense, they way I write it.

Steve
:roll: :roll: Yes, Dear...Of course, you're right Dear.....Except I'm getting speed over what they promised. And, there is no phone company wire involved, and I'm right, so hush... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve

Steve
:roll: :roll: Yes, Dear...Of course, you're right Dear.....Except I'm getting speed over what they promised. And, there is no phone company wire involved, and I'm right, so hush... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve

Steve

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve

Steve

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

...anyway...
This company is dishonest and will not fulfill its promises! There was a successful class action suit because of their lies.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:

[/quote]
Hey, you are happy and they are happy, then who am I to opine. :lol: :lol:
Steve
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

...anyway...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

SteveR wrote:

Steve
Yep, they "own" the lines and in most cases the modem. You can buy your own modem but it may or may not work on their system (I personally think they should and some shenanigans are played). Much like the way telephone companies owned all of the hardware.

Then of course the feds got involved in telephone services and now you own the hardware in your house and either pay them extortion, er, service fees, or do it yourself.

Honestly, I'd rather own the lines once it hits the house and hardware. I can do so much better quality wise than the provider ever will. They buy from the lowest cost/quality suppliers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I haven't believed any company's ads since I ordered those x-ray vision glasses from the back of a comic book in 1962. I pity anyone who does...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Yep, they "own" the lines and in most cases the modem. You can buy your own modem but it may or may not work on their system (I personally think they should and some shenanigans are played). Much like the way telephone companies owned all of the hardware.

Then of course the feds got involved in telephone services and now you own the hardware in your house and either pay them extortion, er, service fees, or do it yourself.

Honestly, I'd rather own the lines once it hits the house and hardware. I can do so much better quality wise than the provider ever will. They buy from the lowest cost/quality suppliers.
No..."I" own the lines once they hit the house. AND, you could not pay me enough to crawl under my place. THAT'S why I went with the really cheap insurance. I'll pay it a few months, and then drop it. Your contract(s) may be different. Maybe I'm lucky. I might be the only person in the world satisfied with my ComCast service. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

...anyway...
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

We had Hughes for 4 years unfortunately; there was simply nothing else available until fiber-optic reached us. Everything about Hughes, from their half-assed installation to us finally ditching them, was sub-par. My official review is that they suck like a F5 tornado.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.