long eye relief scope for 45/70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ozygreg
Levergunner

long eye relief scope for 45/70

Post by ozygreg »

i am getting a 45/70 lyman sharpes . my eyes are not so good , so iam thinking of putting a scope on it ,a malcom not good as i hunt all around thick bush and climbing up and down mountians , so i wonder how a scout scope would be . as i have not had a 45/70 befor or a long eye releif scope . maby a Leupold VX-3 Pistol Scope , has anyone put a scope on there sharpe . other than a malcom . and what do you reccomend as i have to shoot up to 200mts,moast of the time .
ozygreg
Last edited by ozygreg on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: long eye relief scope for 45/70

Post by M. M. Wright »

I would try it with a tang sight. My old eyes, (76) still do okay with apertures that are sized for the situation. In low light, late evening or early morning, I remove the screw in aperture and sight through the threads but the front sight becomes sharp with a smaller aperture when the light gets better.
Malcomb scopes come in various lengths. There is a shorter one that might work for you in the hunting field. You don't have to have one of those full length ones. Of course almost anything could be mounted on your rifle, even red dot or holographic is possible with the right mounts.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Scout scopes are intermediate eye relief generally 7 to 11 inches, pistol type scopes are 18 to 24 inches. I have used weaver 4x scout scope and burris 2 3/4x, for thick canopy I prefer the burris it has a heavy thick duplex reticule, the weaver is a thinner duplex reticule and does better in open country both are 1 inch tubes. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was hunting with a .45-70 Ruger #1, I had much success with a 2x20 Simmons (yeah, I know) scope that had 7" of eye relief.

When I scout-mounted a scope on my .44 Mag Marlin 1894P, both the Burris & Leupold Scout scopes didn't give me a full sight picture, so I went with a Weaver pistol scope in an XS LeverScout mount.

When a scope's eye distance isn't optimal for a shooter, the scope's sight picture might be either very small, or "blacked-out" altogether.

If you decide to try a pistol scope, you can save yourself a lot of time, money, and aggravation if you first measure the distance from your eye (when holding the rifle in firing position) to wherever on your rifle the rear end of a scope would end up, if the scope were mounted in your choice of bases/rings.

The reason, for doing so, is that pistol scopes do not have a set eye-relief like Scout and "normal" riflescopes do - they instead have eye relief "windows", typically either 9"-to-17" or 11"-to-21". (check the eye-relief tech specs online, for any scope you're considering)

For my application, my optimal eye-distance turned out to be 9-1/2" (YMMV), which meant a 9"-to-17" scope worked well.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a 2-7x Redfield on my 375 Ruger and haven't got scope-eye yet...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Leupold makes a Scout scope. I have one on my .450 Marlin. It has done well in the snow and rain and taken the punishment of that little monster like a champ. I've had it for about ten years and haven't had to touch the adjustments once. Well worth the money.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"