Firearms as a business expense?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Firearms as a business expense?

Post by Panzercat »

Pretty simple question: Can a firearm be written off as a business expense without special guberment considerations? The idea is to use one or two pistols to model accessories we make and sell. It would seem to meet the ordinary & necessary criteria so long as it used to build the business.

Of course, this would more than likely preclude any of the usual activities associated with normal firearm ownership. I'm pretty sure it would be regulated to that of showroom piece status.

Any thoughts?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Firearms as a business expense?

Post by Griff »

I don't know that you could write off the whole cost of a firearm, but easily you could justify the expense associated with renting one for purposes of an advertising prop. If you purchased the firearm, then 'rented' it to the advertiser, at the usual and customary charges for such rentals. I would not consider that an untoward write-off. I wouldn't try to write off the entire purchase price as there might be other types of props that could be argued as more appropriate for such use.

I suspect holster makers write off the plastic guns used as forms, and it wouldn't surprise me if one or two rented their actual guns to the holster-making business when they were used for that purpose.

But hey, I ain't an accountant or tax preparer... I leave that stuff to my wife... and she's probably more cautious than I in these matters.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Had a crazy thought... could it be that we (able bodied citizens), can write off all our guns and ammo needs, shooting trips, etc. as necessary and usual expenses necessary to defend the Constitution as members of the "militia" as defined by the 2nd Amendment?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Griff wrote:Had a crazy thought... could it be that we (able bodied citizens), can write off all our guns and ammo needs, shooting trips, etc. as necessary and usual expenses necessary to defend the Constitution as members of the "militia" as defined by the 2nd Amendment?
Hey now, don't get all squirrely on us here. ;)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Had a crazy thought... could it be that we (able bodied citizens), can write off all our guns and ammo needs, shooting trips, etc. as necessary and usual expenses necessary to defend the Constitution as members of the "militia" as defined by the 2nd Amendment?
That is kind of mentioned in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofrhqP7JWaA
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I probably see at least one victim of sexual assault every day or two, and many of them ask me about firearms for self or home protection, and I seriously thought about getting certified as an NRA basic safety instructor, and teaching them stuff instead of just referring them to local ranges (who are too saturated to get them in for six months or more to any decent classes). THEN I though how cool it would be to be able to write off all the ammo (and perhaps a few guns) as a business cost...... Unfortunately then I realized I'd still likely need to rent space at a local range, and I don't even know if they'd let me go one-on-one with a 'student' and do that...

Then there's the matter of not enough time to do all that anyway.... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I probably see at least one victim of sexual assault every day or two, and many of them ask me about firearms for self or home protection, and I seriously thought about getting certified as an NRA basic safety instructor, and teaching them stuff instead of just referring them to local ranges (who are too saturated to get them in for six months or more to any decent classes). THEN I though how cool it would be to be able to write off all the ammo (and perhaps a few guns) as a business cost...... Unfortunately then I realized I'd still likely need to rent space at a local range, and I don't even know if they'd let me go one-on-one with a 'student' and do that...

Then there's the matter of not enough time to do all that anyway.... :(
Where does the CDC stand on firearms these days?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Firearms are great for controlling diseased centers...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tray
Levergunner

Post by tray »

See an accountant but I believe they will say you could write off the depreciation for X number of years (5-10) After which you could buy new ones and start depreciating them. Like a shop owner does with a fleet of vehicles. If you have an entity set up to do it, you buy them for the entity and the entity could depreciate the value. The rental you pay the entity to rent them would be 100% deductible. But that could get complicated.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Where does the CDC stand on firearms these days?
Here's a good law review journal article describing some of the CDC's shenanigans...

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/58tenn.pdf

Look especially at section "XIII, A Critique of Overt Mendacity"

It describes in great detail (with solid citations) how the CDC-funded parasitic hoplophobes are given 'legitimacy' in the pages of the New England Journal of Medicine and Journal of the American Medical Association to disseminate not only distortions and half-truths, but many times "outright fabrication of facts".

Strong words for a 'scholarly law journal' - but true.

I'd sooner rely on the pages of Guns & Ammo for advice on treating dyslipidemia, or the editorial position of American Rifleman on childhood vaccinations, than accept the illegitimate drivel the NEJM and JAMA publish on 'gun control'. . . :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Where does the CDC stand on firearms these days?
Here's a good law review journal article describing some of the CDC's shenanigans...

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/58tenn.pdf

Look especially at section "XIII, A Critique of Overt Mendacity"

It describes in great detail (with solid citations) how the CDC-funded parasitic hoplophobes are given 'legitimacy' in the pages of the New England Journal of Medicine and Journal of the American Medical Association to disseminate not only distortions and half-truths, but many times "outright fabrication of facts".

Strong words for a 'scholarly law journal' - but true.

I'd sooner rely on the pages of Guns & Ammo for advice on treating dyslipidemia, or the editorial position of American Rifleman on childhood vaccinations, than accept the illegitimate drivel the NEJM and JAMA publish on 'gun control'. . . :roll:
When the VA Docs ask about firearms in my home, I shudder and say they scare me to death. :D :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV