Carbines and saddle rings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Carbines and saddle rings

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I just came into a nice old Marlin Model 1893 saddle ring carbine in .30-30 made in early 1907. The carbine is in great shape, and the saddle ring was long ago carefully removed and discarded.
Since so darned few of us ever have use for a saddle ring, and the darned things make a very unuseful racket on a hunting rifle, do you generally remove them, or do you go to the trouble of wrapping with leather to quiet the sound?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Carbines and saddle rings

Post by TedH »

I remove them and toss them in my parts box.
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If I am walking I use a saddle ring sling. It has a plastic swivel hook , so it makes no noise and it doesn't get in the way. If I am sitting it doesn't make any noise. I leave them on and put them to use.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ben, I had never heard of this. Very interesting. Got a photo of yourself so equipped?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Every single saddle ring gets a leather thong, in my house - for a nice (IMO) look, bluing wear, and metallic noise suppression while hunting - and, no, I've never had a thong get caught by a link/lever during cycling..

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I don't remove them, I don't put leather thongs that absorb moisture and rust, on them, and I believe the sound they make is so minimal as to be insignificant.

When I got my first 1894 SRC the saddle ring had been removed so I replaced it. The modern ones as found on Win 94s are built so they don't contact the receiver. So basically it's just personal choice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Depends on what I use the gun for. For walkin' around or sneakin' around, as the case may be... I put a simple strap on it... for going to the range, hangin' on the wall, or storage in the safe... no.
If the little strap gets wet or dries out... it gets replaced. I have lots of deerhide!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like 'em, my 9422 has one I bought off Joe Miller, that doubles as a takedown screw... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I leave them on, But I can take them or leave them. I do like the looks of them, but I don't tie leather on them, because I am left handed and they get in my way.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Ben, I had never heard of this. Very interesting. Got a photo of yourself so equipped?
That's actually what the original use and intent was. It started before the Civil War. Cavalry Carbines generally always had a "sling ring", and a wide strap with large snap hook and roller was attached to the strap. The strap was worn diagonally over the shoulder with the snap hook and carbine hanging down about hip level on the right. The carbine was sometimes carried in a small socket attached to the saddle so it didn't flop around, but was always attached to the trooper if he came off the horse willingly or not.

If you google "carbine sling ring" youll see pictures of the slings and some attached to carbines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carbine ... C2kQsAQIMw

Theres a widespread belief that the so-called saddle ring was used with a loop of leather and hung over the saddle horn, but so far, I've never seen a historical picture of one being so used, or any written references. Its become somewhat of what could be called an urban legend, but with no supporting evidence.

Back on topic, I've taken them off the guns I've had and filled the hole with a filler screw. I like regular slings for carrying.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Malamute, I'm well aware of the use the heavy carbine sling for mounted military use, especially on a heavy carbine with a sling bar like the Sharps. I was just wondering how often they were actually used this way on lever action carbines.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:...Theres a widespread belief that the so-called saddle ring was used with a loop of leather and hung over the saddle horn, but so far, I've never seen a historical picture of one being so used, or any written references. Its become somewhat of what could be called an urban legend, but with no supporting evidence...
Yep, I've had to listen to that theory a number of times also... again, never found any evidence to support it, either.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Malamute, I'm well aware of the use the heavy carbine sling for mounted military use, especially on a heavy carbine with a sling bar like the Sharps. I was just wondering how often they were actually used this way on lever action carbines.
Good question.

I know of one guy in Montana that had a 32 spl 94 carbine. He tried the leather loop thing once. He dropped the gun on the trail and didn't realize it for some time. He found it a mile or so back when he looked. He decided it wasn't that great an idea. That's the only actual use of the ring in that fashion that I know of.

So far as I can figure, the ring was part of Winchesters desire to interest the military in its guns. That never really materialized, but the ring became somewhat of a tradition, I guess you could say. Winchester had the magazine cap threaded into the end of the tube in the 1866 and early 1873's, then went to an unthreaded magazine cap with a cross screw holding it in place, as is common today. They still grooved the end of the cap for a screwdriver until the end of the 1920's or later. I think the ring is much the same. It didn't serve any useful purpose, but hung on for a long time anyways.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Malamute, I'm well aware of the use the heavy carbine sling for mounted military use, especially on a heavy carbine with a sling bar like the Sharps. I was just wondering how often they were actually used this way on lever action carbines.
My question is, are modern saddle rings sturdy enough for this use?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I use mine with either Junior's Saddle Ring Sling or the modern equivalent Tacticool Single-point Bungee sling. (the Bungee sling is actually VERY handy)

Heck I ADD Saddle Rings to my leverguns... (on my Rossi .410 and my old Marlin I put in the Beartooth Saddle Ring Safety Delete...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Guess why I removed the saddle ring from my Winchester circa 1907 Model 1892? No cheating, NOW!

Note sling swivel for when I need both hands free or to hang it on something when cleaning game. 8)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

765x53 wrote:
My question is, are modern saddle rings sturdy enough for this use?

Myself, I'd be very leary of trusting my gun to such a small shanked item. The older ones were about 1/4" shank, the newer ones much thinner.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote:If I am walking I use a saddle ring sling. It has a plastic swivel hook , so it makes no noise and it doesn't get in the way. If I am sitting it doesn't make any noise. I leave them on and put them to use.
Pretty much like the single-point sling the 'tactical' guys use on their AR's....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
BenT wrote:If I am walking I use a saddle ring sling. It has a plastic swivel hook , so it makes no noise and it doesn't get in the way. If I am sitting it doesn't make any noise. I leave them on and put them to use.
Pretty much like the single-point sling the 'tactical' guys use on their AR's....
Like I said - I actually like those on my levers. The extra stretch/bounce lent by the bungee is handy. Once you get used to it, it even pulls the gun into the shoulder nicely.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Terrible thing for a port-side shooter, mine are all off. Never to appear again.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Doesn't anyone else here remember former board member Junior Doherty ?

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, of course! Hes using the sling rings the way they were originally meant. I don't think its a bad idea, just not for everybody.

That picture turns up in searches of carbine sling rings.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Mentioned him (RIP) in my first post this thread... ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:

Mentioned him (RIP) in my first post this thread... ;)
Yep, RIP indeed.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Junior's daughter wrote a very nice post after his passing over on the castboolit forum. At that time she said she was going to keep the website up and the business running to honor her dad.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I always thought they were for tying off to a scabbard they'd been inserted into.
Slow is just slow.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That is who made mine. Junior was great on just basic functional stuff. I learned a lot from reading his posts. RIP
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have one of Junior's slings. Use it every year hunting my BLR (added the saddle ring) or my 92 or 94 Trappers. Logged many a mile with it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I bought two of Juniors slings , one to use on my marlin 1894 and one for Justin Case . I use the one every year , the other is still in its plastic bag it came in.
RIP Junior.
Phil