What can yall teach me about 22 mag derringers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

What can yall teach me about 22 mag derringers

Post by fordwannabe »

For work reasons I am not able to carry my usual "everyday carry gun" everyday. I am thinking about a derringer in 22 mag but only experience I have with derringers is an old davis my uncle had, that was not reliable, and an FIE single shot I had back in the 90's in 45 colt, and that is not what I am looking for. What can you tell me about good quality guns that could be in a pocket all day without libtards noticing. Thanks. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: What can yall teach me about 22 mag derringers

Post by Lefty Dude »

Check out a North American Arms 22 mag Mini Revolver. My new every day carry is the NAA Wasp. It is a 22LR/22mag conversion. After market grips make the piece more controllable with the 22 mag.
I also have a Bond Derringer, however it is large and heavy.
With the NAA 22mag. I carry it with 5 CCI Speer Gold Dots, they are made for the short barreled Revolvers.
Because it has a separate 22LR cylinder I can practice with the cheaper ammo.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'd take the NAA mini over any of the 22 mag derringers but if I had to go for a derringer it would be the old High Standard double action. They've gotten pretty spendy of late though.

Eric
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Keltec P32/P3AT and Ruger LCP made derringers irrelevant. They're smaller and lighter than most derringers I've seen and shot, and 7 or 8 rounds of .380 with a rapid reload beats 2 of any caliber with a slow reload.

You can hide one in gym shorts... I have.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:The Keltec P32/P3AT and Ruger LCP made derringers irrelevant. They're smaller and lighter than most derringers I've seen and shot, and 7 or 8 rounds of .380 with a rapid reload beats 2 of any caliber with a slow reload.

This. Though I went with the NAA Guardian .32ACP and have carried it in swim trunks whilst swimming in Lake Michigan off the "coast" of Gary IN...

Still, I DO run with a .38 Derringer (Cobra brand) when in snake country (my back yard) because .38 snake shot is waaaay more effective than .22 snake shot...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The modern derringers are a far cry from the archaic Davis derringer design - and there's several different ones out there.

The flattest for pocket carry would be a High Standard with ot's grip panels removed - which were made in stainless steel, blued carbon steel, and bright nickled carbon steel.

Below are two High Standards in .22 mag, an American Derringer .38 Special, a BTJ .38 Special, and (center) a Double Tap .45 ACP with interchangeable 9MM barrel.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:The Keltec P32/P3AT and Ruger LCP made derringers irrelevant. They're smaller and lighter than most derringers I've seen and shot, and 7 or 8 rounds of .380 with a rapid reload beats 2 of any caliber with a slow reload.

Yep.....The LCP goes out the door with me and has 6+1 of near 38 Special whupAzz.... It slips into a vest, or pants pocket easily. IMO, (worth what you pay for it :) ) make your derringer at least a 38.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

.22 Mag in a short barrel:

1) Very, very loud.
You should try one first, and see if it affects your tactical hearing ability after using it, especially in a closed space.

2) See if you can be safely accurate -
Try a target 20 feet away. Especially difficult with the double action Hi-Standard. I had one, once, and sold it quickly after I missed a sitting rabbit at that distance.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Saw a Ranger at the LGS with a NAA mini stashed inside his Stetson under the crown. Neat. 8) he was an older fella, and looked like the type you would not want to fool with.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had a North American pea shooter in .22 WMR that was loud and inaccurate.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I had a North American pea shooter in .22 WMR that was loud and inaccurate.
:( My LCP will ring your bells, too.....I think the quietest handgun I've shot without protection was a Glock 36 with standard pressure 230s....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I agree. The Kel-Tec or LCP will pack more punch, are easier to hit with, and should conceal just about as easily.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC Paco carries a NAA Black Widow. They are somewhat comforting at spitting distance, not much more. I'm sure a .22 mag would make quite a mess in something. Make sure you carry it in a pocket holster. The stag grips seem to give a better hold that the standard wood does as they are too slick. I'm not sure I'd like the rubber grips as they might be too sticky.
I have a Hi Standard .22 mag derringer from the 1970's and the NAA. The Comfort in the extra 3 shots in the NAA is more comforting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The issued grips with the NAA mini are quite inferior to say the least, for looks only. I replaced mine with a set of Magnum NAA rose wood grips.
If you want a quality grip for a mini 22 Mag NAA, try here:
www.revisioncv.com

I just placed an order today for this grip.
SASS# 51223

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I had a Freedom Arms Casull improvement in .22 mag. It was surprising how much it bucked up when shot. The tiny handle and mag shells resulted in it pointing up at 45 degrees or more after each shot. I had to regrip before the next shot.
I sold it and bought a NAA in .22 LR. Much better. I've popped a few snakes in the head with it. I don't think 20 feet is realistic to judge one of these by. It's most likely going to be used in well under 10 feet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

"The Kel-Tec or LCP will pack more punch, are easier to hit with, and should conceal just about as easily."
Yup. Totally agree.
EDITED because TMI - Probably more personal info than needed. Other posters have covered this quite well!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, good for you for training others. My carry is an LCP. I recently bought my wife the Ruger LCR in.22 Magnum. Now if I could find ammunition ...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A Hi Standard derringer in .22 Mag has been my go to gun for many years when I need something very small. I try to carry the most stopping power I can most of the time, but in certain weather or clothing conditions, it's not possible to conceal larger handguns.
As for noise levels. Anyone who's ever fired a gun under stressful situations will tell you they probably didn't even notice the sound levels. Often they can't even tell you how many shots were fired by either gun, let alone if their ears rang afterwards. Even hunting situations, where adrenaline is high, but not near the stress levels, we still don't notice the sound levels like we would at the gun range. Testing your carry gun for sound levels wont tell you much at the range, as you'll hopefully have ear protection on. Shooting it without wont tell much either, as there's no stress level involved.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

EDITED because TMI - Probably more personal info than needed. Other posters have covered this quite well!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

pix585219830 - Copy.jpg
Very old tech... 4.5" long 7shot .25 acp.. But it has its virtues... Less than an inch thick... Grip safety...Internal hammer ... even has a magazine safety . There's a couple on GB now..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Too much powder, not enough barrel! I purchased a .22 LR/Mag combo pistol for my daughter. It is a great pistol, however, when shooting the .22mags, I can see the bullet when it shoots. I cannot see the .22 LR. Personally I think the .22 MAG needs a longer barrel to burn all the powder and fully appreciate the round.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

I'm not going to say what happens to everyone else when they fire a gun without ear protection as each person is different. It's been my experience that when being fired at and returning fire, I don't hear anything but a small popping sound.
I have fired rifles, pistols and small NAA revolvers in 22 mag caliber with the same results. I worked in Narcotics Division for about 6 years and was also a Firearms Instructor that attended The FBI Instructor School along with many others. I was also in the 4th Inf. 65-68 and was exposed to fire while there.
I shot almost every day while working as a range officer and I'm able to hit 6 inch steel plate at 25 yds with my NAA 22 mag Black Widow with each shot. I see where some posters are saying that certain guns are not able to hit anything past a few yards, it's a good chance there is more at falut here than the gun being discussed. Later David
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Last edited by JohndeFresno on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tom the NAA will work fine for what your looking for, the loud bang and fireball headed for the culprit will help put them off their game. At the distance these things happen, according to the stats is 7 feet, you dont even need sights just point and shoot. My idea of a vest pocket pistol is a chopped and rounded grip bearcat thats been recut to 22 mag. danny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ben_Rumson wrote:
pix585219830 - Copy.jpg
Very old tech... 4.5" long 7shot .25 acp.. But it has its virtues... Less than an inch thick... Grip safety...Internal hammer ... even has a magazine safety . There's a couple on GB now..

Part Number NAA-32 GUARDIAN
Firearm Type Guardian
Suggested Retail Price $402
Caliber 32ACP
Capacity 6 + 1
Barrel Length 2 & 3/16"
Overall Length 4 & 3/8"
Overall Height 3 & 3/8"
Width 13/16"
Weight Unloaded 14 oz (15.6 oz Loaded)
Operation Double Action Only
Trigger Pull 10.0 LBS.

I will hit a pepper popper from the back pocket draw at 10yds 6 out of 7 to 7 out of 7 times...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am really appreciating the input guys, keep it up. My biggest concern is that IT MUST NOT BE NOTICED EVER. I am just very uncomfortable being unarmed in this day and age. Both of the vehicles have get home bags with a handgun and rifle, but if something happens when I am inside they are no help. A derringer in a larger caliber could work also. The NAA was a consideration also but I was afraid it might be detected. I am thinking of this kinda like the liberator of WWII a gun to get a gun, or It's better than nothing gun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Fwuw... Without giving specifics... (5th). That little wallet pistol of mine has been more places where it was not "allowed" to be than any .gov Enforcer could deal with...

No metal detector/no patdown, no "gun free zone".

Not to mention being carried in a pair of swim trunks on the beaches of Gary Indiana... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

My 2 cents: Since something like 99.9% of the misfires I've experienced have been with rimfires, I would much prefer a centerfire cartridge for defensive purposes.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I would consider the Astra Cub/Colt Junior in .25acp, maybe not a grizzly stopper but easy to conceal.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Here is my every day carry NAA 22 mag & Holster/Belt rig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SASS# 51223

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Lefty Dude wrote:Here is my every day carry NAA 22 mag & Holster/Belt rig.
That's classy! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

They're true belly gun. Stick it in someone's mid section and pull the trigger.

For years I wanted a High Standard. Finally found one and traded a real nice gun for it. Huge mistake that I regretted almost right away. At 5 yards, if I really tried I could keep in on a man sized target.* Past that it was a flip of a coin.

* What I didn't notice when I bought it was that the barrels weren't parallel. So one shot to the "sights", the other WAY off to one side. I traded it to a collector who had no intention of shooting it.

I've never been able to hit anything with the mini revolvers either. At the distance I can, I might as well use my knife and do more damage. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The NAA 22 Mag is always on my Left Hip. If I determine more power might be needed I slide my Bond Derringer on my Right side for a cross drawer application. With the Bond I have the choice of either 45 Colt or 410 in the Snake slayer.
SASS# 51223

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

fordwannabe wrote: I am thinking about a derringer in 22 mag but only experience I have with derringers is an old davis my uncle had, that was not reliable,
I have a Davis D-38. Never had any problems with it. What problems did you have?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

two shoots...reload...two shots... :)