Bronze age EDC...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Bronze age EDC...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Bronze age EDC...

Post by Blaine »

The making of tools was the first step in evolving....
I don't consider it "over the top" to say that when I'm out among people I don't know, I have my right hand in my jeans pocket holding my 4" EZ Open SOG Folder.....For when it's right in your face, right now....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

old school is still most cool

don't necessarily agree about the copper axe.

it could have been stolen and might be why he was hunted down, but that doesn't explain why he still had it.

it might have had a tribal significance and the guys who shot him might have been after it.

I do kind of agree that he had it because he liked it, which doesn't seem to apply to his actual main working tool, the hafted flint blade. which is what the antler point was for, edge maintenance. I think the writer describes it as a tool to sharpen arrows, which I take to mean the arrowheads.

It would be interesting to find other copper tools in the region. How hard could it be? Or find the region that has tools that most resemble Otzi's. I find the exact square section interesting. It looks exactly like the cold chisels in my tool box. I wonder if it was forged or cast.

Anyway the main point to me is that Ol'Otzi had everything needed to succeed in his environment.

Except an M4 :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The http://oetzi.com/en/ website goes into many of those details.
Four different scientific institutions analyzed tissue samples from the corpse and the finds. The results were unequivocal:

the Iceman lived between 3350 and 3100 BC.

The Iceman was therefore alive some 5,000 years ago, at a time when the discovery of copper was causing an economic and social transformation in Europe. Thus the Iceman had already been buried in the glacier for 600 years when the Egyptian pharaoh Cheops ordered the construction of the pyramid that bears his name. Stonehenge in England would not be built for several hundred years after his death
A fascinating bit...
The Iceman’s body is covered with 61 tattoos.

They have the form of groups of lines or crosses. Unlike modern tattooing methods, the tattoos were not produced with needles but by means of fine incisions into which charcoal was rubbed.

Most of Ötzi’s tattoos are located on parts of his body that must have caused him pain during his lifetime due to degeneration or disease.

The tattoos were therefore primarily intended as therapeutic measures rather than as symbols. There is little doubt that the Iceman underwent pain-relieving treatment on multiple occasions.
One or several groups of vertical lines are located to the left and right of the spinal column, on the left calf, on the right instep and on the inner and outer ankle joint and – as was recently discovered − on the chest at the height of the lowermost right rib. Two lines also run across the left wrist. A cross-shaped tattoo appears on the back of the right knee and next to the left Achilles tendon.
Astonishingly, many of the tattooed areas correspond to skin acupuncture lines. Before Ötzi it was thought that this art of healing had only originated two thousand years later in Asia.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Tools making even better tools is what fueled the industrial revolution.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have read a lot about Otzi and his tools/weapons. Did you know that his bow and most of the arrows were not finished, as if he had to bug out before he could re-arm himself? The bow as found has a draw weight of around 200 lbs which he, no doubt, would have shaved down to something more manageable. The blank is coated with blood to keep it from taking on moisture. They know where he was for the last few days from his gut contents but there is only conjecture as to why he took off into the mountains where he was shot with an arrow. The wound was such that he could have lived only a few minutes after receiving it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is my ode to Otzi, hopefully the first of many; length overall 6-3/4".

heat treat is done, 1084 tempered to around 400 deg and tang softened to spring and softer. haven't decided if I will sharpen both edges. 1084 will take a scapel-sharp edge. the aft end of the tang will get a 90 deg bend to pin it to the grip, which I think will be a green branch split to the tang end and bound with line or rawhide or both. it will be a super deer knife, able to gut, skin, dismember, flesh, and craft hide clothes. versatile for a 5000+ y.o. design.
151208_006.jpg
if anyone has other ideas about how to haft it I'd like to see 'em. THANKS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Grizz,
I have both elk and moose antler that I would gladly donate to your project. Just tell me what you need.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wow that is a grand offer, thank you. where'bouts are you located? I'm in pnw..

for this one I am using wood just because. next one I may notch the blade like an arrowhead and lash it that way. there have been a bunch of steel variations made, some with sculpted blades more resembling a knapped one.

a few interpretations. the flint ones are just as sharp and useful, but the steel ones are more rugged.

https://www.google.com/search?q=otzi+kn ... 83&bih=519
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Okay, guys, what the heck is EDC ? I'm not tacticool enough, I guess.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

"Every Day Carry"

Usually means "gun" but also includes a "pocket dump" of your important stuff.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Thanks, you mean the stuff I leave on my dresser when I'm changing pants..got it!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

OK, Grizz, how about some walnut my Grandaddy cut over a hundred years ago?

I'm in northeast OK about 10 miles up Big Cabin Creek from Sam Houston's "Wigwam Neosho". PM me an address and I'll send you some stuff. I've been hoarding this stuff 'til I can see the end will come long before I can use it so maybe you can get some good out of it.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks so much. I'll be in touch when the road winds me back here some time in Jan.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Grizz wrote:this is my ode to Otzi, hopefully the first of many; length overall 6-3/4".

heat treat is done, 1084 tempered to around 400 deg and tang softened to spring and softer. haven't decided if I will sharpen both edges. 1084 will take a scapel-sharp edge. the aft end of the tang will get a 90 deg bend to pin it to the grip, which I think will be a green branch split to the tang end and bound with line or rawhide or both. it will be a super deer knife, able to gut, skin, dismember, flesh, and craft hide clothes. versatile for a 5000+ y.o. design.
151208_006.jpg
if anyone has other ideas about how to haft it I'd like to see 'em. THANKS.

I've got an Idea. Send it to me and I'll do a thorough work up on handle designs for you! :)

That is very nice work!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Les Staley wrote:Okay, guys, what the heck is EDC ? I'm not tacticool enough, I guess.
Me neither! :?: :roll:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Daisyman wrote:
Les Staley wrote:Okay, guys, what the heck is EDC ? I'm not tacticool enough, I guess.
Me neither! :?: :roll:
It means "every day carry". To put in another perspective, when doing a survival exercise, it is a standard that only what you have on your person "Every Day" is allowed to be used. That is probably all you will have with you when the emergency happens.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom