Squirrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Squirrels

Post by Daisyman »

If you will remember earlier this fall, I had a post about the amount of squirrels I had relocated from my place. Well, the year is over and the official count.......90!!! Beats the previous record by 41. This has been an ongoing thing for several years. Twenty one, then 25, 27, 49, and now 90. I think I'm losing the battle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Squirrels

Post by JReed »

Wow! Do you have any local raptors to help thinthe population?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Are you 'relocating' them to the freezer...??
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:Are you 'relocating' them to the freezer...??
One would hope so
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yum.....Squill stew.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Nope, didn't think it would be cool to squirrel hunt out of season. :shock: I thought they might not be the only ones in hot water!!
Last edited by Daisyman on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

JReed wrote:Wow! Do you have any local raptors to help thinthe population?
We have redtail and sparrow hawks and some others I can't name in the country. Once in a while one will be in town when the winters get tough. I saw one snag a starling out of the walnut tree in my back yard a few years ago. What a sight!! I was rooting for him all the way and hoping he'd come back and get the rest of them.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Daisyman wrote:
Nope, didn't think it would be cool to squirrel hunt out of season. :shock: I thought they might not be the only ones in hot water!!
Just use the Leverguns Official "3 S" System...

Shoot!

- - - - - Shovel! (or Stew!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Shut Up about it!

"Relocating" the way you're doing it, isn't permanent... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Old No7 wrote:
Daisyman wrote:

Shoot!

Old No7
You might be right.....I DID see a map nailed to a tree in the timber I take them to.......you don't reckon????
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wonder how many of the 90 found their way back ?

I have one genius in my neighborhood, who live traps Squills, then releases them in a patch of woods down the street. (DOH)

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Get yourself a sack of shelled corn, a squirrel feeder, and a feist dog. Squirrel season is 12 months a year for dogs and no bag limit.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Break out the clay thrower, put a few peanuts in the arm and when skill enters give the string a yank.
They will start to get a little edgey.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My paternal Grandfather would catch them in homemade box traps, paint the tail red with spray paint and the release them back into his own yard. I asked why and he would never say. He did get a smile on his face when he would see one of the red tails flickering away in the trees though. TOM
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Grandfather had his way I have mine...quartered dried dredged in flour,pepper,salt, then relocated to a black skillet with hot oil in it. :wink: HMMM relocating at its best.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

fordwannabe wrote:Grandfather had his way I have mine...quartered dried dredged in flour,pepper,salt, then relocated to a black skillet with hot oil in it. :wink: HMMM relocating at its best.

Everything tastes better with bacon grease. :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Trust me, I thought about it. It might be worth it to get in trouble for a purty girl, but not for a durned squirrel. :lol: :lol:
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I wonder how many of the 90 found their way back ?

I have one genius in my neighborhood, who live traps Squills, then releases them in a patch of woods down the street. (DOH)

I wonder how many of them beat him home!!! :wink:

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I think you should stop. It's pretty obvious you're just making things worse. 8)
Slow is just slow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:
Daisyman wrote:

Shoot!

Old No7
+1

I am taking them out any time I see them at this point. Figure that since they've invaded my attic, all I'm doing is pest control. The government can screw themselves if they think I'm going to sit by and let them destroy my house. :evil:

Besides, where I live it is illegal to relocate pests. I'm just following the law. :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sometimes one has to just use ones own common sense and not any one else's! :wink:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Down at my place, it ain't the city that gets all up in arms about shooting the squirrels... it's the WIFE! An off-hand comment and she went nuts. Crows, pigeons, sea gulls, coyotes are all fair game... but not her squirrels! But, there's only one or two... on occasion.

Daisyman, get rid of the fruit and nut trees. No food source, and they abandon home pretty quick.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This guy's been hanging around near my backyard for the past 2-3 years, now.

Image Image

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

40 or 50 years ago I had a colony of flying squirrels on my place. They disappeared for no apparent reason except we had, (still do) a LOT of owls. Great Horned, Barred, and the little Screech Owls just abound here. Of course I have lots of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts and pecans which keep me supplied with a plethora of squirrels, both gray and red (fox) with the occasional black. They all taste the same. I never killed or ate the fliers so anyone know what happened to them?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

One squirrel cost me big time a year or two ago. It got under the hood of my truck and chewed up my wiring and ate a large area of insulation under my hood. Probably used the insulation for a nest.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Image Image

A white "grey " squirrel ? I know the black ones are the same as the grey except for color , is that one like that , or pink eyed albino ?
Phil
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

My flyers disappeared when I got a new roof and had my fireplace capped and sealed. Cute little buggers, I got a couple of photos of them watching me from the hearth and the nearby storage closet.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Check the web. Several towns have populations of the leucistic (white) squirrels.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I suspect that it's not an albino, as, although I never actually looked closely at it's eyes, I most likely would have noticed if they were pink (I've been as close as 20', walking around by backyard).

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Griff wrote:Down at my place, it ain't the city that gets all up in arms about shooting the squirrels... it's the WIFE! An off-hand comment and she went nuts. Crows, pigeons, sea gulls, coyotes are all fair game... but not her squirrels! But, there's only one or two... on occasion.

Daisyman, get rid of the fruit and nut trees. No food source, and they abandon home pretty quick.
Well, I would kinda' hate to do that...my wife and I planted that pin oak in the back yard in 1977. It's now a beautiful specimen and is just part of the family. The WALNUT tree, however, could go in a minute except that............it's my neighbors tree and lives about 5 feet from the lot line. Half the walnuts fall in my yard where I hit them with the mower if I don't pick them up first. :evil: He's got a bad case of "yellow dog" and doesn't clean up anything. I used to throw them back in his yard, but the squirrels would pick them up, run up the part of the tree over my yard and eat them there and I had them back again. :evil: Sooooo, the wife picks them up and I mow to my hearts content. I've got a bagger on it so I get most of the rubble that's left.
Irv
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Booger Bill wrote:One squirrel cost me big time a year or two ago. It got under the hood of my truck and chewed up my wiring and ate a large area of insulation under my hood. Probably used the insulation for a nest.
I know a guy about 6 blocks from here that had about the same thing. They were building a nest under the hood of his truck. He saw him go under there so he popped the hood and the little beggar stood up on the air cleaner and gave him a squirrel cussin'. I never did know how he came out on that one..

That wiring thing can be nasty, very expensive!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Daisyman wrote:
Griff wrote:Down at my place, it ain't the city that gets all up in arms about shooting the squirrels... it's the WIFE! An off-hand comment and she went nuts. Crows, pigeons, sea gulls, coyotes are all fair game... but not her squirrels! But, there's only one or two... on occasion.

Well, I would kinda' hate to do that...my wife and I planted that pin oak in the back yard in 1977. It's now a beautiful specimen and is just part of the family. The WALNUT tree, however, could go in a minute except that............it's my neighbors tree and lives about 5 feet from the lot line. Half the walnuts fall in my yard where I hit them with the mower if I don't pick them up first. :evil: He's got a bad case of "yellow dog" and doesn't clean up anything. I used to throw them back in his yard, but the squirrels would pick them up, run up the part of the tree over my yard and eat them there and I had them back again. :evil: Sooooo, the wife picks them up and I mow to my hearts content. I've got a bagger on it so I get most of the rubble that's left.
Irv
Here's an idea...
(a) Pick up those walnuts
(b) Buy a Sling Shot
(c) HAVE AT IT!!!

Or, shoot the squirrels with a paintball gun, using a different color every month. At least then, you'll which ones are coming back... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

1894 wrote:

Image Image

A white "grey " squirrel ? I know the black ones are the same as the grey except for color , is that one like that , or pink eyed albino ?
Are you sure about the blacks and the greys being the same? There's a town about 100 miles from here that has black ones and they are the same size as fox squirrels. :?:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Daisyman wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:One squirrel cost me big time a year or two ago. It got under the hood of my truck and chewed up my wiring and ate a large area of insulation under my hood. Probably used the insulation for a nest.
I know a guy about 6 blocks from here that had about the same thing. They were building a nest under the hood of his truck. He saw him go under there so he popped the hood and the little beggar stood up on the air cleaner and gave him a squirrel cussin'. I never did know how he came out on that one..

That wiring thing can be nasty, very expensive!
I had a nest of 'em in my shop, on top of a 4-tube 4' fluorescent fixture... right over my RockChucker! Never noticed it till one day, loading, a bunch of twigs started fallin' on my head! Enough light in the shop that I could see the thing, but wasn't sure what it was, other'n a bunch of twigs. Swept it off and found about 5 baby squirrels in it, no hair, so pretty new. Kilt them and cleaned up the shop, no problem since. Might be a nest over the feed stall, but it doesn't have any access from above, as it's all plywood floor, walls and ceiling, with galvanized sheet metal covering that. I never find them in the barn anymore, so maybe not.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Old No7 wrote:
Daisyman wrote:

Irv
Here's an idea...
(a) Pick up those walnuts
(b) Buy a Sling Shot
(c) HAVE AT IT!!!

Or, shoot the squirrels with a paintball gun, using a different color every month. At least then, you'll which ones are coming back... :wink:

Old No7
I like both those ideas! :D
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Daisyman wrote: Are you sure about the blacks and the greys being the same? There's a town about 100 miles from here that has black ones and they are the same size as fox squirrels. :?:
Only know about the ones here in NY so YMMV :wink: But yes , the greys and blacks here are the same critter just different color. It appears that white is a possible color.
From : http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administrati ... irrels.pdf
Squirrels come in a wide variety of colors. In
fact, as a whole, this group of animals is prone
to producing color variants of the more typical
color patterns for that species. For example, in
New York, gray squirrels can be black-furred,
albino, or many different variations of gray
mixed with yellow-to-reddish brown. Many
squirrel species have light spots on the back of
their ears
Phil
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here in NE OK, (and SW MO) the blacks are color variations of the red squirrels that are sometimes called "fox" squirrels. Maybe you have to be old.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A town near here, Brevard, NC has around 1000 white squirrels. They are increasingly found outside that area.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

1894 wrote:
Daisyman wrote: Are you sure about the blacks and the greys being the same? There's a town about 100 miles from here that has black ones and they are the same size as fox squirrels. :?:
Only know about the ones here in NY so YMMV :wink: But yes , the greys and blacks here are the same critter just different color. It appears that white is a possible color.
From : http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administrati ... irrels.pdf
Squirrels come in a wide variety of colors. In
fact, as a whole, this group of animals is prone
to producing color variants of the more typical
color patterns for that species. For example, in
New York, gray squirrels can be black-furred,
albino, or many different variations of gray
mixed with yellow-to-reddish brown. Many
squirrel species have light spots on the back of
their ears
Interesting reading, I learn something new every day! :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IMO best use for a mess of squirrel is shredded into BBQ sauce... and served as "Pulled Pork".

"Secret's in the Sauce"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Old Ironsights wrote:IMO best use for a mess of squirrel is shredded into BBQ sauce... and served as "Pulled Pork".

"Secret's in the Sauce"...
I haven't eaten squirrel since I was a kid on the farm. Mom used to fry them in a cast iron skillet, kinda chewy if I remember right. A stew would probably be much better or like you said as "pulled squirrel". Might be good in some Sweet Baby Rays!
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

30 years ago I lived in a little town on the Eastern Shore of Md called Queenstown. Back then they had 7 or 8 albino greys. It was quite something to see them all chasing around at once.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Around here they are nothing but tree rats. I wouldn't even think of eating one. My big tom on the other hand thinks they are great sport and good eating. He has scouted out their favorite treats and knows when to set an ambush. He is quite accomplished.

There is only one problem with this mighty hunter. He always brings it back home and has a special place (right in the middle of the front walk) where he will dine. It has upset a couple of neighbors, but I ask those what they had for dinner last night and they shut up.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

To be truthful that's what I call them too. They're a PITA. :roll: