Question on model 98 mauser

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Question on model 98 mauser

Post by rjohns94 »

Anyone seen one done in 12 gauge? I saw one today and it really grabbed my attention. I dint buy it but for 275 I should have. I started my hunting days with a bolt action 20, but the Mauser action and 12 gauge would make a really keel cabin gun for walking the game lands with.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question on model 98 mauser

Post by Mainehunter »

Few years back a gunsmith north of me did one in 410 and 45-70. I'm kind of surprised if 12 guage would actually cycle.

Mainehunter :wink:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Opening a 98 to 12 ga. :shock: I have heard of such but never seen one. There must not be a lot of meat left in the barrel shank area. :? How about the bolt face and claw extractor? Feeding is another cat to skin altogether.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I would really like to see some detailed pictures of the action on that one. Very interesting.

Eric
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

According to Frank de Hass in his book "Bolt Action Rifles", the rifle barrel was discarded.
The collar and locking shoulders were bored out and a shot gun barrel fitted.
The front of the bolt was bored and a special bolt head fitted.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

After WWII, German citizens were forbidden most firearms, but were allowed smoothbores as subsistence firearms, so, with literally mountains of 98 Mausers available, many were converted to shotguns - the GEHA conversion being one of them.

Mauser Gew 98 rifles were bored out for a 12, 16, or 20 Gauge shotshell, with 1 shell in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber, for a 2-shot capacity.

They were half-stocked, the wood usually military grade - and the military bolt handle was bent down.

They used a sprung, detachable bolt head that fits over the old GEW 98 bolt head, and utilized an added receiver strengthener/shell deflector, because so much metal was removed from the original rifle action.

A new single-stage trigger assembly (as opposed to the two-stage military unit) and a new/lighter trigger guard were also fitted, so as to be more suitable to a shotgun.

The GEHA trigger and trigger guard features are shared by the Remo and Hard Hit Heart - two other Mauser conversion shotguns.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I really liked it. The trigger was awesome. Now that I see what was done, that accounts for the differences I saw when I put a regular Mauser beside it. I'm intrigued by it. Chambered in 2 9/16, so I would have to use 2 1/2 inch shells. Article cautions to look at locking lug to make sure it's not cracked. I will have to take a look at it again. Cylinder bore in most cases (and in this one).
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote:According to Frank de Hass in his book "Bolt Action Rifles", the rifle barrel was discarded.
The collar and locking shoulders were bored out and a shot gun barrel fitted.
The front of the bolt was bored and a special bolt head fitted.
The chamber pressure is so much less with a shotgun, vs. the bottleneck rifle cartridges, that I suppose nowhere near as much 'mass' is needed where barrel and action unite.

I think I'd rather have one redone in 45-70 though...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

A buddy had a converted Arisaka in 12-ga. once. Odd beast, but cool.

Scott
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Saw 3 on gunbroker. $199, then 2 at $400 or above. The one I saw at 275 was in better shape then all of them. I have a bunch of 2.5 inch shells loaded. I just may get this one if its there end of week
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:Saw 3 on gunbroker. $199, then 2 at $400 or above. The one I saw at 275 was in better shape then all of them. I have a bunch of 2.5 inch shells loaded. I just may get this one if its there end of week
Good luck Mike! I can't wait for the range report on this one!!! :D