Non-lever, Santa delivers personal fave, Browning Hi Power

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Non-lever, Santa delivers personal fave, Browning Hi Power

Post by wecsoger »

Totally unexpected, wife said she always wanted to buy me a gun.

Always loved the Hi Powers, to me they are John Moses Browning's (praise be his name) next improvement on the 1911 concept.

Yes, this one is not pristine. I. Don't. Care. Courtesy of AIM Surplus, it's an Israeli police imports, completed with the star of David stamp on the right side. Makes it even more special to me.

Scratches and wear in the paint, front site dinged where Isaac or Esther dropped it. Functionally clean, but needs work with qtips and toothpicks to get into the nooks 'n crannies.

Of course, FN made, steel frame, this is the High Power Mk III. Interesting to me, this is the first one that doesn't chew my hand with hammer bite.

And trigger pull doesn't really suck so I'll probably forgo removing the mag disconnect.

Happy dance here. Can't see it replacing my G19 as carry gun, but it is not going to be a safe queen.

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Non-lever, Santa delivers personal fave, Browning Hi Pow

Post by BrianSH »

I'm jealous. I'd be doing a Snoopy Happy Dance for a Hungarian HP, and you get a MKIII !! 8) :mrgreen:

I got my lump of coal, and it so warm in Texas, I can't even burn it. :(

We expect full range reports within the next two weeks. - Brian
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That's a totally awesome Christmas present - nearly beyond human comprehension! :mrgreen:

I like Hi-Powers. :D I think it's a better design than the 1911 in many ways.

Very cool. 8)

-Stretch
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Santa did good by you. I've spent most of my life as a 1911 carrier but I like the Hi-Power a lot too. I guess my fave is the P-38 or the aluminum framed P-1. They just don't come in 45
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D :D If I had that HP, you had feathers in your shorts, we'd both be tickled. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Never had one, yet it's one of my favorite handguns of all time - the first hi-cap semi I wanted! A classic, handsome and reliable shooter.

Glad for your good fortune.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

I inherited a Hi Power Practical when my Dad died. BY FAR my favorite handgun. A serious
shooter too. 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
1894c

Post by 1894c »

The Hi-Power is a great pistol your Wife did you good...I owned one once, wasn't bright enough to keep it... :)
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Good on you and the missus. Never owned one myself, but a friend of mine had one and I loved it. It shot where you aimed it. I had a stainless Taurus 92 and the same time and it shot where it where it wanted to. No comparison. I like the old ones, but they are hard to find and spendy when you do. Great piece!!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That's a nice lookin pistol
I know nothin about auto loaders, but mentioned to my little brother I may try to get me one in 45 acp 1911 of course, he handed me this one, it's 9mm, havent fired it just yet as I kinda like a little bit bigger hole, he told me this was an authorize copy of a Browning, now im wondering is it the copy of your new pistol, its made in Hungary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

plowboy 45 wrote:...9mm...he told me this was an authorize copy of a Browning, now im wondering is it the copy of your new pistol, its made in Hungary
Yes, FEG makes or made Hungarian Army pistols and has made some good "clones" of various pistols, like the Mauser and the iconic Walther PPK.

According to this article, your 9mm Parabellum pistol has many interchangeable parts with the original Browning. It was manufactured mainly for export, the article says:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/hu/feg ... fp9-e.html
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks John
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sweet! :mrgreen:
J Buck
Levergunner

Post by J Buck »

Catching up on the latest from the holidays, But DANG! The HP is one of my top 3 favorites along with the Colt 1911 and S&W J frames. I had a .40 cal once for a while and sold it because it wasn't a 9 mm. In light of recent gun control events, I think I need to keep an eye out for one. Congrats on your new gift and you have a very understanding spouse, don't lose her.
"When you should shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco
jkingrph
Levergunner

Post by jkingrph »

Even if the trigger does not "suck" removing that magazine disconnect will really improve it more. Years ago I did that to my new commercial model, and later sent it to Cylinder and Slide for a new hammer and sear which really made it sweet. They also make a wider trigger, extended slide release and safety which are nice.