Ruger modified a Savage 99 to be gas operated..?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Ruger modified a Savage 99 to be gas operated..?

Post by AJMD429 »

It says so on page 8 of the February 2016 American Rifleman...I never heard that before.

Anyone know about that...?
30f8e304828b4a3fa5a4ddbe1deb148c.jpg
Pinterest bit... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/363595369888565719/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger modified a Savage 99 to be gas operated..?

Post by Rusty »

My brother in law called and read me that paragraph. It seems it was Bill Ruger's first invention. That was the first time I ever heard of it, but since the rifle is in the museum it's hard to dispute.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, it's in the book: "Ruger and his guns". Pretty neat idea and the end product doesn't look like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Per my google-fu.............

While a business student at the UNC at Chapel Hill, Bill Ruger turned an empty room into a machine shop, and learned his trade.

In 1938 he came up with the early designs for an autoloader, converting a Savage 99 into a semi-auto.

His prototype semi-auto Savage 99 was unsuccessful, market-wise - but the rotary magazine of the Model 99 bears a strong resemblance to the one Ruger later used for his 10/22 rifle.

Ruger afterward worked first at Springfield Amory, then at Auto Ordnance - where he developed firearms for the US military during World War II.

One of the guns he worked on was a machine gun design that competed against the M1919 Browning, which was tested at the Aberdeen Proving Ground.

WWII ended before issues with Ruger’s machine gun could be fixed, Ruger eventually partnering with Alex Sturm to produce his .22 autoloading pistol in 1949.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Somehow I skipped over page 8 & missed that ...Regarding the pics of his 99 ... Makes JMBs flapper actuated 73 Winchester look a little crude...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

I read somewhere years ago that he took that rifle with him to Springfield Armory when he applied for a job there. They liked what they saw and hired him.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I remember reading many years ago that John Browning converted a lever action Winchester to a gas operated semi auto. This was just experimental, I think, but it was the basis of his 1895 "potato digger" machine gun. So I guess Ruger wasn't exactly "plowing new ground", so to speak.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:His prototype semi-auto Savage 99 was unsuccessful, market-wise - but the rotary magazine of the Model 99 bears a strong resemblance to the one Ruger later used for his 10/22 rifle.
In fact, his 96/22 and 96/44 and 96/17 leverguns were also very like the Savage 99 in design, too...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "