What happens if 2 of 3 Presidential Candidates are out?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

What happens if 2 of 3 Presidential Candidates are out?

Post by JohndeFresno »

THIS IS NOT a politically opinionated thread; please keep it that way so that this general question doesn't get bounced into the "Politics" forum.

Some folks don't follow that as much, and I really don't know the answer; I suspect that with all the brilliant and varied posters represented here, I'll get a meaningful answer.

On the Democratic side:
Hillary Clinton has had a stroke.
Bernie Sanders has had several health issues, and he's not getting younger.

So - if both of them get hospitalized and/or suffer some terrible health issue as the result of the pressure of this campaign -

What would happen? Would the 3rd candidate automatically carry the torch and run against the GOP candidate?
Would there be another caucus, while President Obama would carry over in office until a late election took place?

Thanks in advance for your views. Please keep politics (per se) out of your replies to this thread.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: What happens if 2 of 3 Presidential Candidates are out?

Post by Blaine »

The DNC would most likely appoint somebody in their stead. Possibly a write in recommendation.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:The DNC would most likely appoint somebody in their stead. Possibly a write in recommendation.
Wow. Talk about a wild card.

That make it very, very difficult for the other side to scramble to get material to use against that candidate in the final debate process.

Thanks, Blaine.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bidden/Warren ticket to the rescue!!

Few months ago, I posted on another site that Biden or Warren could/would be dark horse candidates. And especially after all the tear jerk responses to the news story that on his death bed, Biden’s son allegedly told him to run.

Still have thoughts of a Biden/Warren ticket: Hillary has a great deal of baggage, Bernie is more than a bit too radical-left learning to all but the extreme left and die hard democratic core base, and O’Malley is running just to say ”I also ran.”

But here’s what one pundit also said of Biden/Warren:

“Perhaps the shrewdest move Joe Biden made was taking a pass last autumn at a presidential run. Then, he might have been considered a spoiler. Not so Elizabeth Warren, whom the left wanted badly to run early last year. Warren, up against Hillary’s money and establishment muscle, took a pass. No profile in courage for her.

“But Warren might get a second chance at the brass ring. Biden, most definitely. Hillary the Inevitable is doing what Hillary does: melt down as inspection of her heats up. Criminality -- no stranger to the Clintons -- holds out the promise of being more of an upset than Bernie.

“Had Warren not been intimidated into skipping the race, she’d be building momentum toward the Democratic nomination. With a credible alternative, Hillary would be closing in on yesterday’s news status.
“The betting here is that Hillary struggles through Iowa and New Hampshire. Bernie “Eugene McCarthy’s” her with strong showings (if not a convincing win in New Hampshire). All the while, the pot boils on Hillary’s indictments. Hillary and Obama back-channel a deal. Hillary leaves the race.

“Immediately on Hillary’s departure, draft Biden and Warren movements commence. But Joe and Liz have cut a deal, too, with the blessings of Barack. Joe leads the way, pledging one-term. Liz acts to cover Joe’s left flank. Bernie is carrot-and-sticked into acquiescence. The Biden-Warren unity ticket premieres at the Democratic National Convention in July.

“Maybe, or maybe not. But one thing is sure: forget Republicans’ challenges. The Democrats are neck-deep in alligators -- once again, thanks to the Clintons. The way forward is hazardous and certainly uncertain for the whole lot of them>”

Read all ‘bout it:
www.americanthinker.com/articles ... z3yInEPJb3

Also for an interesting take on Hillary's E-mail problems, the FBI, and her political opponents and enemies and how this might all play out see the below link. Well worth taking the time to read "Hillary and the law of the [political] jungle":
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... ungle.html
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JohndeFresno wrote:
BlaineG wrote:The DNC would most likely appoint somebody in their stead. Possibly a write in recommendation.

That make it very, very difficult for the other side to scramble to get material to use against that candidate in the final debate process.

Thanks, Blaine.
I think ( :o UhOh) That once someone wins the primary, they are on the ballot, unless the state chooses to pay for another primary. Now...if the national election is held, and nobody gets the 270 electoral vote necessary, it gets thrown into the House of Representatives, but I believe each state only gets one vote. This is off the top of my head, so...... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ray,
I'm trying to leave the politics, like Hillary's e-mail problems, out of this thread to address the possible problem of what we do if one or both leading Dem candidates are taken out of the race before the election.

Don't want this thread moved to another subforum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

In the event the current candidates fall out, the DNC could appoint any Democrat that oozed out of the septic tank as their presidential nominee at their national convention, if they could garner enough delegate votes.

Most likely Biden and whichever progressive kook was closest to him in the clump, as VP.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Ummm... are any of you folks actual citizens? Pretty slim pickin's here when it comes to the nomination/election process...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol:
I can see that I shoulda put this questions elsewhere, but thanks for the answers, guys...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JohndeFresno wrote::lol:
I can see that I shoulda put this questions elsewhere, but thanks for the answers, guys...
NonSense....not one thing political about the next, most important election since I was born. :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I think ( :o UhOh) That once someone wins the primary, they are on the ballot, unless the state chooses to pay for another primary. Now...if the national election is held, and nobody gets the 270 electoral vote necessary, it gets thrown into the House of Representatives, but I believe each state only gets one vote. This is off the top of my head, so...... :lol:
Since when do Democrats obey 'rules'...rules are for the peasants...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Phyllis Schafley proposed the same issue for the RNC side - as their way of putting Paul Rino in as the nominee... It worked for James Garfield...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tray
Levergunner

Post by tray »

Bloomburg would buy into the race if he hasn't already by then. If you have been watching the news you know he is in the wings still making up his mind.
tray
Levergunner

Post by tray »

Being from Texas, one of my Senators is Ted Cruz. A lot of mud is being slung at him, but he seems to be someone who will fight for the issues most people want addressed. No candidate is perfect. We are all human beings.
I have written him for his support on some bills and against others over a wide range of topics including immigration, Second Amendment rights, Obama care, and others. He was always responsive and to my surprise already out front leading the charge.
I have watched his voting record and he is never wishy washy like McCain or former Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison. When I checked his finances, he was one of the least "well off" in the whole array of candidates. That tells me a lot. Most all the rest are at least, multimillionairs.
I don't know this for a fact, but have been told he is a Constitutional lawyer, also. That may be why he doesn't get riled over the stuff about his birth.
I love that the Donald is out there raking the scabs off the commie's ulcers with his "political uncorrectness", but I don't see him as having the qualifications. If Ted got elected, I would hate to loose him as a Senator, because he has me spoiled. I would cope with it though.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote:I think ( :o UhOh) That once someone wins the primary, they are on the ballot, unless the state chooses to pay for another primary. Now...if the national election is held, and nobody gets the 270 electoral vote necessary, it gets thrown into the House of Representatives, but I believe each state only gets one vote. This is off the top of my head, so...... :lol:
The primaries are for entertainment.

The party nominees are selected at the party national convention.

It's like voting for President. The popular vote is a ruse.

:!:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

John, your question is on the process, one that any party is likely to have to follow. The only place the voters have a say is in the Primaries, and that's really only in those states where law dictates that the Convention Delegates follow the popular vote. And if I remember my "Gov't" courses correctly, that only applies on the first vote, if a candidate is not selected then, all bets are off. Once the Conventions are over, and THE candidate drops out of the race, I believe that the 2nd name on the ticket becomes the first, and a mad scramble would ensue to name a running mate. If I understand your question.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

JohndeFresno wrote:

Thanks, Blaine.
Good Point!
kevind6
Levergunner

Post by kevind6 »

FWiedner wrote:
The primaries are for entertainment.

The party nominees are selected at the party national convention.

It's like voting for President. The popular vote is a ruse.

:!:
Yup, party national conventions are where party nominees are officially chosen. Depending on each individual state's party rules, most state delegates are not bound by their state's primary or caucus results on who to vote for in the national convention, they are free to switch their vote for whomever. Though perhaps unlikely, it is possible for a dark horse candidate to emerge from a national convention to be the party's presidential nominee.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Big national parties are not the only groups who propose a candidate. We always have alternate party candidates on the ballot. In theory, the national party could decline or have insufficient time to offer a candidate.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'll avoid the political comments - and you all know I have many! :wink:

From what I've read, pre-convention for either party, they'd simply vote on another available candidate and it could be practically anyone. Even more or less "draft" someone. Well, not anyone, BHO couldn't run again regardless.

Post convention would be very interesting to see...
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I'll avoid the political comments - and you all know I have many! :wink:

From what I've read, pre-convention for either party, they'd simply vote on another available candidate and it could be practically anyone. Even more or less "draft" someone. Well, not anyone, BHO couldn't run again regardless.

This is incorrect. There are time cutoffs for being placed on state presidential election ballots. If the original candidate died after the cutoff, his/her name would still be on the printed ballot. Someone else, above, has already indicated this.

This situation arises not infrequently on a local level. In my state, the governor fills the vacancy for judges. Depending on the city's charter, a special election can be held to elect a new mayor.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2571 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I'll avoid the political comments - and you all know I have many! :wink:

This is incorrect. There are time cutoffs for being placed on state presidential election ballots. If the original candidate died after the cutoff, his/her name would still be on the printed ballot. Someone else, above, has already indicated this.

This situation arises not infrequently on a local level. In my state, the governor fills the vacancy for judges. Depending on the city's charter, a special election can be held to elect a new mayor.
After the convention, yes, but during the convention(s)? it's fair game.

Look a how Garfield got drafted to be the Candidate... and how the RNC changed the rules to keep Ron Paul from "upsetting" the Mitt... and is now looking to possibly change those rules back, because, well, CruzingTrump isn't IvyLeague enough.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The have been rumors that Bloomberg might throw his hat in the ring, maybe even as a 3rd party candidate.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:John, your question is on the process, one that any party is likely to have to follow. The only place the voters have a say is in the Primaries, and that's really only in those states where law dictates that the Convention Delegates follow the popular vote. And if I remember my "Gov't" courses correctly, that only applies on the first vote, if a candidate is not selected then, all bets are off. Once the Conventions are over, and THE candidate drops out of the race, I believe that the 2nd name on the ticket becomes the first, and a mad scramble would ensue to name a running mate. If I understand your question.
Actually, that was the question. Thanks.