OT - Concealment, Revolver vs Auto

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

OT - Concealment, Revolver vs Auto

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grumble.

In many real ways I like my SP101 over my G27... But I just can't seem to be able to carry it with the same level of "deep cover" I can with the Glock.

I just don't get it. They are the same size, but I can't seem to make the SP101 properly "tuckable". The Butt ALWAYS shows. :oops:
The Glock just conceals better, and I'm at a loss as to why/how to make the SP101 work better.

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is the angle of the gun in the holster that does the trick. You need that butt's centerline pointing upward (vertically) in line with your body. Combine that with holding the gun in, against your body and you can carry under a loose, dark, T-shirt.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I'm developing a home made addition to a simplyrugged pancake holster where the butt of my 5.5" Ruger Vaquero in under my left arm pit, cross draw. The gun is quite concealable unless you notice that my left arm is a little further from my body than my right. I've also experimented with carrying this gun strong side under 2 shirts--a tee shirt then a heavier weight carhart work shirt. It's also concealable this way as long as I leave the workshirt untucked. Keep playing around with different systems, and you'll find a concealed carry method that suits you.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

check out Mernickle holsters, I have a concealed high rise for my Colt.45 SAA that is really great.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

I changed the grips on my 101 to Uncle Mike's boot grips because the factory grips would peek above the top of my pocket. I also now use a pocket holster from Mika and am very pleased with it. I prefer the 101 in 357 because it gives me a very broad range of power levels and it shoots very well for me.
Bob
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Will the sp101 fit in "Thunderware?" This is something I have considered, but have no experience with.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

When I had a Jframe I used a Desantis cozy parter iwb. Worked great for me. I bought the same holster for my G26, didn't work so well.
Trial and error.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I carry my S&W 649 in the right front pants pocket. It works for me, but then I'm a little old for skin tight blue jeans too.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Have you tried a S.O.B. (small of the back)holster ? There's always Houge grips, which taper at the lower rear corner.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I got tired of the big, honking, protruding rear portion of the G27 slide printing, or poking me, and sold the thing to a fellow officer who already had one G27, liked it, and wanted a pair. (He works narcotics division.) I resumed carrying my SP101 snubbies. This was while I was using a G22 as a duty pistol, so the G27 had seemed like a good idea, but it was just not my cup of tea. We are all built differently. OTOH, I have never tried to wear an SP101 as a tuckable, so cannot shed any light on that.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

holster

Post by rjohns94 »

I would agree with Hobie. A *** (small of the back) holster with the grip up will allow you to carry that pistol without printing. However, you must be sure to to sit straight and bend at the knees or you will give the guns location away. This time of year, fall and into spring, a jacket will cover all, as will a shirt. On my j-frame 38+P, I carry it in holster designed to have a shirt tucked over it. All that shows is part of the clip, either that what sticks out under a belt or that what shows over the belt. In this manner, I have carried it with just a t-shirt (dark) and shorts. This gun travels every where with me and I am sure a similar set up, either small of the back or the the galco ultimate conceal holster would work for you also.

regards,

mike
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

i carry my snubby revolver in a 5.11 agressor (or something like that) parka.

little spendy, but next tme you need a jacket it's a good one

awhile ago i accidently forgot a handful of coffee and sub shop stamp cards in one of the zip pockets before i washed the shell.... didn't get a drop of water on them.

warm and stylin too!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:It is the angle of the gun in the holster that does the trick. You need that butt's centerline pointing upward (vertically) in line with your body. Combine that with holding the gun in, against your body and you can carry under a loose, dark, T-shirt.
Heck, under a Loose Dark Tee I can carry a Redhawk... It's good to be skinny. 8)
uncoolperson wrote:i carry my snubby revolver in a 5.11 agressor (or something like that) parka.
It's the summer & office wear that I have trouble with. For Winter or field/park I have a a Gunnysack &/or a 511 "Tactical Series" fleece vest. The Vest is all I wear in the winter and it works well. But for day-to-day slacks & polo I'd like to be able to park the snubby IWB as well as I can the G27 (or my old home-built CCO)... (I use the CTAC tuckable...)

But yeah, those 511 jackets with their holster/accessory pockets are da bomb.

I'll keep looking for a tuckable revolver holster. At least an *** will keep my posture properly erect... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Familiar dilemma: mine is choosing between a S&W Mod. 40 (hammerless J frame in .38Spl) or Colt Officer's Model. Like OI sez, you can hide any hog leg under a T-shirt (or vest/coat) but for work or church wearing a nice shirt? Here something I've been toying with. Took an old in-the-pant holster that I had, cut it down, re-sewed it a bit, and Gorilla Glue-ed a dead pager to the outside of the belt clip. American Derringer M-1 in .357Mag, only 2 shots but FBI stats say I'm going to be within 7 yrds and will be lucky to get off 2 shots anyways. .357Mag leaving that short little barrel probably not doing over 900FPS, but I bet it's more disagreeable being on the front of that hand-canon than it is to fire it? Note that the top of the grip hangs about a half inch below the beltline. I have carried the weapon in a "pocket" holster, but having that 1lb+ hunk of stainless steel was really "saggy" in the pocket when wearing nice pants. Didn't matter too much when wearing jeans. Wonder if I could do something similar for the J frame...
Tom

(Like Paco says, you could probably tie a dead skunk to your belt and people wouldn't notice...)

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by don Tomás on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

don Tomás wrote:... I have carried the weapon in a "pocket" holster, but having that 1lb+ hunk of stainless steel was really "saggy" in the pocket when wearing nice pants. ...
Yeah. Ditto on the Pocket sleeve for the SP. Done it, but it's not pleasant.

I was looking at a couple of nice rigs that look like they would work, but I've gotten so I won't buy an IWB unless I can try it on... especially not a $100 rig.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Old Ironsights wrote: I was looking at a couple of nice rigs that look like they would work, but I've gotten so I won't buy an IWB unless I can try it on... especially not a $100 rig.
Same here - I would really like to be able to figure out a carry for the Officer's Model. The CrossBreed Super-Tuck Deluxe appears to be the best candidate and JimT and others have spoken highly of the system.
Tom
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html
Tom

uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

have you looked into open carry?
http://opencarry.com/
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

uncoolperson wrote:have you looked into open carry?
Work doesn't mind me being armed as long as I'm discrete about it and I don't see a reason to get people excited at church. I also prefer not to advertise and would rather have the goblins wondering...
Tom
Tom

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

uncoolperson wrote:have you looked into open carry?
With what the Dem's have done to our society? It would be more trouble than it would be worth, though it would be fun to annoy the liberals... :twisted:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hey - I just noticed SC doesn't allow for this at all? What gives... I thought we had more sense than that?!? :evil:
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Concealment, Revolver vs Auto

Post by Haycock »

Old Ironsights wrote:Grumble.

In many real ways I like my SP101 over my G27... But I just can't seem to be able to carry it with the same level of "deep cover" I can with the Glock.

I just don't get it. They are the same size, but I can't seem to make the SP101 properly "tuckable". The Butt ALWAYS shows. :oops:
The Glock just conceals better, and I'm at a loss as to why/how to make the SP101 work better.
If you want to carry a wheelie and are having issues with the SP101 butt, why not see how a S&W J-frame 5-shot .38 round-butt fits your body?

The SP101 is a whole lot bulkier than a Smith 36, and I find that the round-butt Smith snugs right up against my kidney at 4:00 IWB, whereas the square-butt version of the same revolver fits me like your SP101 fits you.

I know you were looking for an SP101 answer here, and the gun-change may not be an option for whatever reason (caliber switch, etc.), but for my body there's just no way to make the square-butts conceal well.... you may have the same thing going on.

Why not track down a 3" 36-1 (heavy barrel) round-butt and just tuck it in your pants to see how it feels/hides? I find that the extra inch of the 36-1 compared to my 1-7/8" 36 snubbie is actually MORE comfortable when carried IWB. It may be worth the time/effort for you......

Haycock
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I want to carry my SP101 because I have it, not because I specifically want to (regularly) carry a wheelie.

There are just times and places where the discression of not leaving brass on the ground is better than the valor of a long, drawn-out court argument based upon forensic case matching...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!