Pyrodex???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Pyrodex???

Post by Rusty »

Is anybody using much Pyrodex these days? I just found a pound of it in the back of all my powders. I was thinking I might burn it up shooting my .30-30 a bit. I was wondering if anybody had a favorite load or any suggestions for a 150 gr. bullet? The Pyrodex web site isn't any help.

Thanks
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I bought a pound of it when I got my ML. I don't reload though, so, I can't help ya there. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wouldn't bother with that. I just have a gut feeling that it would be a wasted effort.

I use Pyrodex in my New Englander. I think it is the best of the BP subs producing like velocities with like charges.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Not to long ago there was an article written in American Rifleman testing 'real' black powder and a bunch of substitutes...the conclusion was that even though Pyrodex is the oldest sub, it still has not been beaten in regards to pressure vs velocity. They even concluded that the best Swiss original was not necessarily better...unless you are an 'elitist'.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Two Thoughts on yer topic:

The .30-30 really doesn't have enough case volume to perform with BP or any of the subs, except... maybe... Triple 7. Any perform I got with my experiments in that area were best described as "anemic".

Pyrodex... I'll be kind. The last bit I found, I loaded up in some shotshells, and got rid of it that way. Performance was just fine for CAS, as the farthest targets around around 7 yards. And, I clean my guns IMMEDIATELY AFTER USE. I have not found a lube that keeps Pyrodex fouling soft for cartridge use. Plus, I've read reports that if not cleaned immediately, it can be deadly on bores. As in rifled barrels, not boars as in pigs, or bores, like me. :lol:

But... have at it, if you wanna see for yourself. Any 150 gr. bullet will do... It don't even have to be round, or have shape to its nose... they ain't gonna go anywhere in a hurry, nor will they be especially accurate. Personally, I'd rather drop the bullet back in the furnance than shoot with Pyro.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Loading Pyrodex is just like loading black powder in that you can't leave any space in the case. In other words, you load the case full to where seating the bullet will compress the charge. You could try experimenting with some kind of filler I suppose. I've never heard of anyone using Pyrodex in a bottle neck cartridge - but I'm sure some have. And as mentioned, it's very corrosive, so proper cleaning and such must be done ASAP after your range session. Me? I'd either shoot it in a ML or in a 45 colt or similar.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Remember to clean and then next day, clean again. Check every cranny. Far more corrosive effects than real black.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I would not load Pyrodex in a 30-30. It's a waste of components.
As for the corrosive effect of that stuff I will testify to it. I had a partial pound of it and loaded it in my .45 Colt ammo. Shot it out of my OM BH. Cleaned it that same day as I would have cleaned black powder. In other words, hot soap and water till it was CLEAN. Then I oiled it. I didn't check the gun for a while and when I did the chambers and bore were pitted.

I will never buy Pyrodex again for that reason. And if I found some like you did, I'd wait till the 4 of July, then take it some where safe and burn it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I feel your efforts will be wasted friend but you do what you wish.
I use it in my M/L shotgun and load 12g shells with it. I shoot game birds with both and it is a hoot. The crtridge shot gun is a doddle to clean with a boiled kettle of water and some home made olive oil/beeswax lube. When the M/L is used regular in the autumn I just paste the same lube down the bores and around the nipples and have no problems with rust.
If you do go ahead completly remove any trace of mineral oils from the gun and coat well with a natural lube, the action inside too, use a hair dryer to get the grease to flow through the action. With the same lube try to use a grease cookie under the bullet, this will coat the bore and help to prevent rusting if you miss a spot after cleaning. You will know if the cookie is working apart from decent accuracy by a wet star on the muzzle. Wads for shotguns can be lubed for bore protection if it is a worry, just use a natural fat/oil other than mineral based.
As a side note I use this type of lube to wipe over all my guns now and get no rust and it is better for skin :D
Hope this helps.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With 777 out there.......I'll not need anymore Pyrodex...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pyrodex generally needs the stuff mashed out of it to work well in cartridges.
Fill your case to the mouth with the pyro, then seat a 31 cal revolver wad, and then your bullet.Don't let the base of the bullet get past the bottom of the neck. Make sure the bullet has a good bp lube.
When you get thru don't forget to clean both the gun and the cases as that stuff is probably more corrosive than black.

I got some pretty fair results shooting goex 3f with a 180 gr bullet in the 30-30,but it isn't anything I'ld want to do on a regular basis.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Man, the timing of this thread is amazing. I've been looking into the newest of the BP substitutes for my 43 Mauser and found this stuff:

http://www.magkor.com/faqs.html

and

http://randywakeman.com/blackmag3.htm

The problem for me is I would need some load data for the 45-70 to have some sort of starting point for my 43 Mauser. The distributor said it is completely safe to use in conventional powder measures, and this was confirmed by Mic McPherson (no electrostatic properties). I may try it if I can find some load data, but its hard to be the smokeless loads we are using.

I would completely steer clear of Pyrodex and anything but Triple 7, which has some minor drawbacks.

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, more coincidence. This reply just came to my email:

Thank You for your patience!

Maidstone, Vermont - Millennium Designed Muzzleloaders, Ltd. (MDM), the company that pioneered the development of the Break-Open-Action Inline-Muzzleloader is now offering preloaded, reusable speed loaders.

MDM has taken the field proven performance of Black Mag '3 Powder and conveniently packaged it for the hunter in mind. Add a bullet of your choice to the 5 waterproof Lightning Loads available in standard or magnum amounts of powder. Packaging designed to allow either ground or air shipment without adding any costly Hazmat charges to the consumer. The standard load is 100 grain blackpowder equivalent and retails for $9.95. The magnum load is 150 grain blackpowder equivalent and retails for $12.95.

"After extensive range shooting and field testing, I have found Black Mag '3 to be the cleanest burning, safest, reliable and easiest to clean blackpowder substitute on the market." - Al Raychard, Editor - Bear Hunting Magazine, Author - The Ultimate Guide to Blackpowder Hunting and Muzzleloading Afield Columnist - Muzzle Blasts Magazine (National Muzzleloading Association).

MDM continues to takes modern muzzleloading technology into the new Millennium.

Also available on-line is the Black Mag '3 Powder.

Please visit our website for more information, and to place your order!

John
http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well lets see.. the fourth of July is how far off???

Maybe the best way to rid the world of it. I don't know where this stuff came from. I know I didn't buy it.

Maybe I should buy a cannon just for the occasion?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I love to use pyrodex in my ML. However, IMO, it has no useful purpose in a modern rifle that is capable of using smokeless powder.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I wonder if this corrosive thing is dependent upon where you live? ie: humidity or lack of it. I live in humid Ohio and find pyrodex is FAR LESS corrosive than black. It is the powder of choice in my Dads 1892 44-40, my 1873 32-20, a trapdoor 45-70, a Chapparal 1876 45-75 and a winchester 94 in 38-55. In my muzzleloader i have let it go a full day before cleaning with no ill effects (not recommending this tho...). I clean once, with either a few patches of black solve or Windex with vinegar, then a few patches of plain water, then several dry patches. Then i run an oil mop down the bore. have let the guns sit up to a year before firing again w/o a problem. I do run a mop with alcohol thru the bore before heading out to the range to remove all oil before shooting though. Interesting how different shooters have different results with these things. In fact, i gave up completley on black powder...the stuff just gums up the works of my guns and I am left with an inoperative gun on my hands at the range or in the field.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have used Pyrodex in both a replica Schofield in 44-40, and a Shiloh Sharps carbine in 50-70.

With the revolver, I did this before I had any other experience with black powder, or subtitutes, in cartridge firearms. I loaded enough powder to require 1/8" compression, with a commercial cast cowboy action syle bullet, with smokeless lube.

It fouled horribly, with both powder residue, and lead shavings. The only way I got through the box of 50 was to pour corn oil on the base pin/cylinder area, and brush the breech and lock periodically with a bore brush. I cleaned it like I was shooting .303 surplus out of an Enfield, (kept cheching for three days), but still later found pitting on the base pin. At least it is where I can't see it (most of the time). So much for that experiment.

In the Sharps, I used it with a cast bullet lubed with Thompson Center "Bore Butter". This worked better, but still left heavy powder fouling. This time I took it apart and re-cleaned it for three days in a row, so I did not get pitting. I would use it again in the Shiloh, but only if I was out of any other real or substitute black powder.

Using a proper soft black powder lubricant like SPG, Black Magic, or even Bore Butter is essential. And clean EVERYWHERE where the powder smoke and residue can touch and/or collect; for three days in a row. Use a black powder solvent and preservative, keep it free of petroleum based oil while firing with Pyrodex.

It will probably foul heavily in a 30-30, even with the right lube. Accuracy will probably be lackluster. But with enough attention to detail, and obsessive cleaning, it may prove interesting.

Sean
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Rusty: I don’t think that .30-30 bore size is very conducive for either BP or the various BP substitutes.

More than a few years ago, I tried BP in a .30-30 & it didn’t work due to fouling. Since then others who I know have tried BP & some of the BP substitutes had the same results.

The .30-30 might be one of those rounds which would benefit from BP Duplex load to negate the effects of the BP fouling.

Myself, I wish the powder manufacturers would re-introduce one of the late 19th - early 20th century BP substitute powders -- “King’s Semi-Smokeless“, “Winchester Lesmokâ€
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

My experience with Pyrodex has been very good in my .44-40 and .45 Colt rifles. Very good accuracy over 50 rounds (most I've shot at one time) using NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax for lube.

I have also tried it in the .30-30 and it worked aok although groups were 2x the size of smokeless. Velocity was 1,325 f.p.s. under a 170 gr. cast bullet.

Yes, Pyrodex is corrosive since it contains chlorate (chlorate priming was used in .30-06 corrosive ammunition). Since I can be a bit lazy, I shot smokeless ammunition after a Pyrodex session and then cleaned the barrel as I would after shooting smokeless cartridges. That worked fine. No problems at all....thankfully. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Ray,
[quote]Myself, I wish the powder manufacturers would re-introduce one of the late 19th - early 20th century BP substitute powders -- “King’s Semi-Smokeless“, “Winchester Lesmokâ€
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ray, they have updated the website since I originally posted the link. It does appear to be an expensive powder but to be fair, the hazmat fees are standard for any powder you buy over the internet. Buy enough, and the prices are reasonable. For me, this usually means a minimum of 4 lbs of smokeless powder. I would have to buy more of the Black Mag stuff to make it worthwhile, but they do offer their pre-packaged loads that are shipped in a clamshell and require no hazmat fee. The latter would be useful for load development to see if it is worthwhile.

http://www.mdm-muzzleloaders.com/Mercha ... Code=LOADS

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tutt why is it you're fiddle faddlin around loading that ol gun with everything under the sun except for the one powder it was designed and built around?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Tutt why is it you're fiddle faddlin around loading that ol gun with everything under the sun except for the one powder it was designed and built around?
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Guys, a number of reasons actually. One, BP is a lot more volitile than smokeless. My reloading bench is actually in the condo I rent and is carpeted and I just don't want a bunch of BP around that can react to static discharge. 2) It fouls after only a few shots. 3) And most of all, its corrosive as Heck. My barrel already has some mild pitting, the receiver steel is "in the white" and I don't want to risk anymore damage to her. This new stuff is supposed to be many times less corrosive, less prone to fouling, not sensitive to static electricity and more powerful than anything on the market (BP or substitute), thus my interest in it.

After doing some research, it's sounding like none of the BP substitutes have proven to be as accurate (at least they haven't been yet-Black Mag 3 is a little unproven) as BP in an unfouled barrel. The smokeless loads that were given to me do perform very well, but are still a little powder position sensitive. The specialized powder dispensers for BP or a volume loaded substitute are expensive. And as was pointed out, Black Mag 3 is very expensive (prices weren't listed when I originally posted). So, the chances of me trying the stuff are diminshing. If I had disposable income, it would be fun to try.

I hope that some of this makes sense.

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

As long as you don't drop your cigarette butts into the bp, you're not likely to have any problems loading black.
Lots of folks drop bp charges from planejane powder measures.
Pyrodex is just as corrosive as bp, APP and others attack the brass so you must clean brass just as with shooting bp.
Fowling out can be anything from not enough powder, or the wrong size of powder, to a not so good bullet with miserable lube.

Ordering bp from places like grafs you can get bp as cheap or cheaper than you can the fakey stuff from the local dealers.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I load BP in my .45 Colts on the Dillon 550B, load 12 gauge on the MEC 600 Jr, and load my .45-70 & .40-90SBN on the RCBS Jr.II. Sometimes I run them thru the RCBS powder measure, other times I dump powder from the can into a volume measure, then drop into the case. Been doing so since about 1986. Haven't blown anything up, yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did have one spill, contaminated some smokeless with BP. So... being somewhat ignorant, I dumped a pile in the middle of my garage, ran a trail of the same stuff back about 10 feet, and lit a match. When unrestrained, BP just WHOOOSHes, and creates a million times its volume in smoke! It only takes about 100 grains of BP to fill an average sized double car garage with smoke! :lol: :lol: I think it took over an hour for the smoke to clear out!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Griff and Don, thanks for the replies. Very interesting. I've done enough research at present to substantiate the need for a volume powder measure to get loads more accurate with BP or a substitute than what we are currently doing with smokeless powder in my 11mm Mauser. Loading for BP is just a different animal than smokeless, but I'm lucky to have some good people to consult with who can "bang a gong" at 1500 yards routinely at the Billy Dixon range.

Your posts have had an impact, and when the times comes, I will try both traditional BP and Black Mag 3 and see what works.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tutt I don't know about the Black mag stuff, but none of the other falsies have been able to best junky ol black for pure d accuracy.
:D Have fun with your loading , and long range expeditions , no matter what kind of powder you're shootin. 8) :lol: