Cast bullet dumb question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Cast bullet dumb question

Post by walks with gun »

I picked up a Rossi 720 5 shot, three inch .44 special the other day, figured a stainless gun might be nice for canoeing, fishing, yard work and occasional trail gun. And I don't have to search for .45acp brass in the snow. Anyway what would be your choice of cast bullet if limited to a 214gr. semi-wadcutter or a 205gr. roundnose flat point. I've been using up my FP 44-40 bullets up because it's what I had cast up when I brought the new gun home but am leaning towards switching to the semi wadcutters so I could tell from a quick glance whether they are 44spl's or 44-40's ( old eye syndrome ) with light loads 5.8grs. of unique,, do you think the SWDC'rs would give any additional terminal performance, both in cutting edge and penetration over the round nose flat points.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Cast bullet dumb question

Post by AJMD429 »

I think the SWDC'rs would be more effective due to the meplat effect, but I'm not speaking from experience (just from the "I read in a gun magazine..." level of expertise... :D )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

(Without Looking) Aren't 44 WCF bullets too small for a 44 Special?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

A lot of older 44-40's seemed to be .427 but newer ones work with .429 and that's what I sized these.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Because of what we all read, we tend to over analyze choices. Unless you have a select purpose that your life depends on, or the possibility of a $5,000 hunt going down the tubes because of bullet selection, I would shoot both styles and whatever is more accurate or whatever you have more of.....use that. Large caliber bullets of any style have been doing a great job of killing things for a lot of years.

Stick with your excellent load of Unique or some other fast burning powder and there's not much that won't stop moving after absorbing one or more of those 44 caliber slugs.--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I actually carried a 720 for a few years back when I had hair. Mine liked 200 & 240gr. Hornady XTP's and 246gr Keith's cast from wheel weights. All bullets over Unique.

My dad is 75 and still packs one around once in a while.

It was a neat little revolver. I probably shoulda' kept it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Listen to 6!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

If the meplat is the same diameter on both bullets, there would be no difference in terminal performance if the impact velocity was the same.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

WWG, Your .429" bullets may work, but I would suggest you measure/slug the cylinder throats of your revolver. Size the bullets to the same diameter as the cylinder throats. My .44 revolvers run .432" or there about with a .429" groove diameter and .429" bullet most often lead the bbl.

As Sixgun noted, for your uses, bullet shape is mostly what you think looks best, or which bullet shoots best in your gun. I don't use bullets under 240 gr. for any of my 5, .44 Magnums (or Special loads) with 245+ gr. SWC or RNFP (Ranch Dog design) being my usual revolver bullet.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What sixgun said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Something with a front end that looks like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:What sixgun said.
Good answers, but another vote for the 6er.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Thanks guy's, I cast a bunch of 215 semi-wadcutters today and letting the liquid Alox dry on them now. Hopefully Sunday or Monday I'll try some loads with these. We've got the occasional wolf and cougar around the property but am mostly using this gun for family plinking (with family not at) and while mowing. Plenty of blood thirsty chipmunks and gophers out there and I'd hate to get caught without appropriate stopping power.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

walks with gun wrote:...Plenty of blood thirsty chipmunks and gophers out there and I'd hate to get caught without appropriate stopping power.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Anything might get the job done, but IMHO Elmer Keith got it right with the Semi-wadcutter style for cast bullets and living flesh and bone. For tin cans and paper targets, and steel plates any bullet shape will be fine unless you are trying to reload a revolver against the clock, then it's definitely better to have a rounded nose of somekind.

My experiences favor the big flat face of the SWC, but the round nose has killed a lot of stuff, in the past.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I like Lastmohecken's post, too...
Too bad that this hunting choice was snatched away from us Californians.