358 Winchester bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

358 Winchester bullets

Post by SJPrice »

Good Morning Fellas!

It has been over a year since I stopped by here and like a nuisance relative I show up and right off the bat start asking questions. On the other hand since it is about loading experience for a lever gun cartridge, and I think, a darned good one at that, the 358 Winchester, maybe you won't mind my asking.

I am curious about any experience or suggestions for a soft, jacketed, mid to heavy weight projectile for a walking around the woods load for my BLR takedown? I will likely be loading them below max, in the 1,700 to 1,900 fps range. The most likely recipients would be coyotes, ferrel dogs and occasionally ferrel hogs, with raccoons, possums, armadillos and skunks thrown in for good measure. The softer the projectile, the better. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time spent reading and writing!
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: 358 Winchester bullets

Post by Thunder50 »

220 speer or 200gr Hornady RN would be my choices
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

What Thunder 50 said. Those are made for the 35 Remington and you are talking low 35 Rem velocities, so bullets built for it should be ideal. Another option if you don't mind the possibility of them going "splat" on a big hog are 180 grain 357 mag bullets that all the makers produce.

And just by coincidence -- I did some shooting yesterday with both Unique and Universal in a 30/30 ( http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=65564 ) and found no velocity sensitivity to powder position. How 'bout if you load up your case with 16 to 18 grains of either of these with any of those above mentioned bullets and let us know here if they are also non-position sensitive loads (those should run a bit over 50% load density vs. the 40% of my tested loads).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

earlmck wrote:What Thunder 50 said. Those are made for the 35 Remington and you are talking low 35 Rem velocities, so bullets built for it should be ideal. Another option if you don't mind the possibility of them going "splat" on a big hog are 180 grain 357 mag bullets that all the makers produce.

And just by coincidence -- I did some shooting yesterday with both Unique and Universal in a 30/30 ( http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=65564 ) and found no velocity sensitivity to powder position. How 'bout if you load up your case with 16 to 18 grains of either of these with any of those above mentioned bullets and let us know here if they are also non-position sensitive loads (those should run a bit over 50% load density vs. the 40% of my tested loads).
I like the idea of pistol bullets for this project, and I will try them with some Unique. I will let you know what I find, including any sensitivity to powder position. I think at the same time I will try some 220 round nose as well. Of the 2, Speer and Hornady which one would you guess to be the least tough?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

200 grand Nosler BT
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

200 grand Nosler BT
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Back in the day I tried the 180 gr. Hornady XTP in my 35 Remington. Turned one coyote inside out past 150 yards, never took a step. Don't have the 35 Remington anymore but I wouldn't mind trying them in my 35/30-30 or Savage 99 358 Win.

Mainehunter :wink: