Walgreens abuses this employee again.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Walgreens abuses this employee again.

Post by piller »

I have been asked to join an advisory panel for my local U.S. Representative on a healthcare issue, and the first meeting is on a day in which I would be off. The problem is that Walgreens wants all of their Pharmacists to spend 5 hours of unpaid time on a day off listening to a seminar which is going to be available in print afterward, and that I would prefer to read anyway. This seminar is on the same day as the advisory panel's first meeting. I have tried to get out of the Mandatory 5 hour donation of my personal time, and been threatened with being fired if I don't show up.

I just want to let all of you know how Walgreens treats their employees so that you can have enough information to make a choice when you have a prescription filled.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Walgreens abuses this employee again.

Post by Blaine »

Mandatory UNPAID? :evil: :evil: :evil:
I hope one day it will once again be an employee's world.
I get my scripts by mail from VA....I am truly grateful for that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote:I have been asked to join an advisory panel for my local U.S. Representative on a healthcare issue, and the first meeting is on a day in which I would be off. The problem is that Walgreens wants all of their Pharmacists to spend 5 hours of unpaid time on a day off listening to a seminar which is going to be available in print afterward, and that I would prefer to read anyway. This seminar is on the same day as the advisory panel's first meeting. I have tried to get out of the Mandatory 5 hour donation of my personal time, and been threatened with being fired if I don't show up.

I just want to let all of you know how Walgreens treats their employees so that you can have enough information to make a choice when you have a prescription filled.
A clear violation of Texas labor law.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Unionize :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FWiedner wrote:
piller wrote:I have been asked to join an advisory panel for my local U.S. Representative on a healthcare issue, and the first meeting is on a day in which I would be off. The problem is that Walgreens wants all of their Pharmacists to spend 5 hours of unpaid time on a day off listening to a seminar which is going to be available in print afterward, and that I would prefer to read anyway. This seminar is on the same day as the advisory panel's first meeting. I have tried to get out of the Mandatory 5 hour donation of my personal time, and been threatened with being fired if I don't show up.

A clear violation of Texas labor law.

:idea:
Yep, once they say attendance is mandatory to keep your job... you're on the clock. I had an issue with a MO company that told me the same thing... I told 'em to read TX law, I'm a TX resident, they hired me in TX, maintain offices in TX and are therefore subject to the TX employment laws. A couple of hours after I told them to have their lawyer contact my lawyer, I was excused from this "mandatory" training class. They never did contact my lawyer... their lawyer musta been smarter than their "human" resources types!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Time for a complaint to either the state or the federal labor relations board.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Time for a complaint to either the state or the federal labor relations board.

In spite of legal rights, people that avail themselves of them eventually get fired for some reason or other. :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

If we require an employee to attend, they darn sure get paid!

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My Sister worked for them as a pharmacy tech for 15 years. Got tired of their stuff ( they always sent her out as a training team member and had her open new stores but never wanted to promote her and give her the pay she deserved) and finnaly left them a year ago. Getting time off was like pulling teeth and the hours always sucked. So I know the pain you are dealing with Sorry
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would never have survived the 'corporate' world, either as a pharmacist, or a physician.

If you decide to bail on Walgreens, we have several independent 'niche' pharacies in Indiana which are expanding...and nice CCW laws. Big deer, too.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What he needs to do is write a letter to the Texas Workforce Commission and include a copy of the email or company memo that directs him to work overtime without compensation. If it's happened before and he's got that documentation, he should be ready to provide it.

If all Texas employees are affected by this directive, that's class-action territory.

I believe that's what folks call "Payday". Back pay plus punitive damages.

There's no such thing as a mandatory 'volunteer' in Texas. If you work, you get paid.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Got tired of Walgreens BS a long time ago. I haven't used them in over three years and up until a month ago, they kept calling with their auto recorded system to tell me my prescript was ready for pickup. I finally got hot and called. I'm not a nice guy when I get hot from other folks stupidity.

Glad I am retired and got to tell all the airheads I worked for to stuff it where the sun don't shine. The list was long and noteworthy. :mrgreen:
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Find the legislation that covers this situation. Copy it and add the link for it as well, copy the junk that Walgreens sent and sent the whole package in an email to your commission with it CCed to Walgreens, their HR department, CEO and their legal department. Someone will notice that they are breaking Texas law and maybe they will respond correctly.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JReed wrote:My Sister worked for them as a pharmacy tech for 15 years. Got tired of their stuff ( they always sent her out as a training team member and had her open new stores but never wanted to promote her and give her the pay she deserved) and finnaly left them a year ago. Getting time off was like pulling teeth and the hours always sucked. So I know the pain you are dealing with Sorry
My wife currently works for CVS in a similar capacity. She has been there 5 years and i constantly remind her to get her resume' together and find something better at a company that appreciated its employees and utilizes their employees efficiently

For the money paid to her, i'd prefer she stayed home also, - but she's human, so she wants a little independence and doesnt want to ask me if we can afford this or that every time she wants something plus she is in the trap of , "But what about my vacation time and benefits?" -- everyday is a vacation when you dont have to work in a toxic environment -- so we would pinch pennies a bit and cut out some unnecessary things for a while- big deal-- i just want her to get her life back. [/list]
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

everyday is a vacation when you dont have to work in a toxic environment
I've been fully retired for about 3.5 years. I was going to work another few years to better the 401, and SocialSecurity payments, but got laid off by the ungrateful EssOhBees...It takes some real butt holes to lay off a 61 year old that's been doing a good job for 15 years :roll: :roll: .....Anyway, it's taken this long to get off an anti-depressant, and I'm hoping to wean off the anti stomach acid reducer pretty soon.
It is not worth ruining your health and peace of mind to hold down a so-so job. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV