Blemished bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Blemished bullets

Post by hondo1892 »

Hey, guys Midsouth Shooters Supply has blemished .224 55 grain FMJ bullets for $9.52. Have any of you bought blemished bullets before. It gave a whole list of things that could be the blemish. For 9-1/2 cent bullets I might have to try at least one box. Should make decent plinking fodder.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Blemished bullets

Post by Tycer »

I've bought lots. Rem CoreLokt, Sierra MatchKing, XTPs.... They sure are some picky folks.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you recognize the brand name, get them. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Doesn't say who made them. The pictures look like the ones that Hornady uses though.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I have purchased blems more than once from Midway and/or maybe Midsouth. So far, the only blemishes that I spotted were cosmetic; although I'm not a 1,000 yard type or competitive shooter. Great for plinking.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Yup, usually the blemishes are just discolored areas on the jacket, not even real corrosion. I did buy some .458" 300gr HP Sierras marked as blemished that had minor deformities on the rim of the HP cavity. Still looked/shot better than the comparable Remington bullet.

Eric
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

When I lived up by the Speer factory in Lewiston, ID, I used to get all kinds of blems in several calibers. I could never see anything wrong with them at all. I wouldn't be afraid to try these if I were you.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Just found these guys. Haven't done business with them before, but looks like it might be worth a try for about 8 cents a bullet.

https://223bulkbullets.com/product/223- ... 000-count/
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've purchased Nosler 30 cal., 155 gr HPBT blems on two occasions. Both times I weighed and measured a bunch, and closely inspected both batches. Diameter and weight as consistent as new factory bullets. On one batch there seemed to be a scratch on the ogive near the nose and on the other, there was a dark discoloration on the jacket. Both were loaded in my .308 Ruger and my 30-06 Garand. I'm not a great shot, but I could not tell any difference between blems and factory firsts...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Bought the last hundred that they had. Wish I could have gotten a couple more hundred. Probably would last me for several years since I don't shoot 223's very much.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have bought Midway repacked blems (hornady) in the past and they shoot just as well as the regular bullets at a whole lot less money. Another good bullet in .223 is are the Midway Dog Town bullets nice and inexspensive and the shoot really well.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have shot thousands of Speer .357 "seconds". 30 years ago you could buy them for half a cent each at the local gun shows. A local guy would run over to Lewiston ID. And buy them by the pickup full or all it could carry. He bought them for scrap metal price. Most of them were perfect to my eye.
I still have some I paid $6 per 1,000 for.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

JReed wrote:I have bought Midway repacked blems (hornady) in the past and they shoot just as well as the regular bullets at a whole lot less money. Another good bullet in .223 is are the Midway Dog Town bullets nice and inexspensive and the shoot really well.
Yep have got a lot of them from Midway. Need to catch them when they have the Dogtown 34 grain bullets up, my hornet loves them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The last time I bought blems, it was Sierra before the move to MO. They were .308 125 HP lacked a cannelure. Shot just as good, killed a bunch of coyotes as well as ones with a cannelure! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I can't rember if they were from Midsouth or Midway it's been many years, but I got 500 350 grain .458 jacketed bullets for the 45-70. never shot one yet. $80.00. they have a double cannelure on them. they sure look fine to Me.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Got my bullets today. They look good to me, haven't weighed any though. I wish they would have had more than one box.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

hondo1892 wrote:Bought the last hundred that they had. Wish I could have gotten a couple more hundred. Probably would last me for several years since I don't shoot 223's very much.
https://brassmanbrass.com/product-categ ... e-bullets/
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading- ... -50ct.html

Shootersproshop(dot)com
When they have what you want, pretty hard to beat their prices.
Byron
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

wolfdog wrote:
JReed wrote:I have bought Midway repacked blems (hornady) in the past and they shoot just as well as the regular bullets at a whole lot less money. Another good bullet in .223 is are the Midway Dog Town bullets nice and inexspensive and the shoot really well.
Yep have got a lot of them from Midway. Need to catch them when they have the Dogtown 34 grain bullets up, my hornet loves them.
Unfortunatly the new barrel I just ordered probably wont shoot the light weights ( 7 twist throated for the 80gr Amax) but those are good ones.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

TedH wrote:Just found these guys. Haven't done business with them before, but looks like it might be worth a try for about 8 cents a bullet.

https://223bulkbullets.com/product/223- ... 000-count/
Good tip, Ted. My pack of 1000 came in today (quick service!) and they seem to be real consistent at 55.4 +/- .1 grains and right on .224. I loaded 50 to try out tomorrow. I'll hide my Sierra hollowpoints and set these out front for the grandkids to find. And even grandpa when he's just plinking tin cans.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have a Great Nephew who live in Idaho, he works as a loader for one of the Mfgr's there.

He buys all the Blems & seconds he can get. Say's that when they do an inspection for test, etc. they do not release the test batch back in to the main stock batch. They call them seconds and sell them at the store discounted. Many times they are just as good as the others that are much more money.

Check with Nosler, I buy my seconds from them when they have some.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30