interesting little portable house kits

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

interesting little portable house kits

Post by AJMD429 »

https://84tinyliving.com/

Pricey, but not everyone is a do-it-yourselfer.

I'm just glad to see there's interest. Too many folks feel they have to build grand houses taking up half the square footage on the small lots they can afford after the house payments.

I've often seen the "garden shed" kits at the local farm store and thought I could live in one after just a few modifications is do myself.

(....or thought 'in-law quarters..." :o :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: interesting little portable house kits

Post by Blaine »

What I live in is not near as important as where I'm at. Quiet, and solitude are more important to me. I like to go out and be around people, but when I get home, perfect peace and quiet are what desire.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BlaineG wrote:What I live in is not near as important as where I'm at. Quiet, and solitude are more important to me. I like to go out and be around people, but when I get home, perfect peace and quiet are what desire.
+1 to that.
Where I live now is very very small (converted stable) but I have about fifty acres to roam about, thanks to my landlord. Housing regulations in the UK can be pretty strict but if I could buy a woodland plot of my own, I think living in one of those tiny homes would be just about possible.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Check out the Lance Toy Hauler trailer, four season and self-contained. The only thing missing is the washer-dryer.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote:https://84tinyliving.com/

I've often seen the "garden shed" kits at the local farm store and thought I could live in one after just a few modifications is do myself.

(....or thought 'in-law quarters..." :o :lol: )

OR, in my case "the doghouse"................. :roll:

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Would be fun for a weekend cottage or fishing/hunting camp. other than that I say Good Luck.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes, OK for short term, but I am too old to be climbing up and down ladders and whacking my head on the ceiling, especially on those 3 a.m. bladder breaks.

:lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If it was just me alone, my dream home would be a 40'x60' (or larger) metal building, with a large camp trailer parked in one end. I'm more interested in the shop part for working on cars and guns, and all I need for living space is a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. But I mentioned it to my wife once, and my plan didn't fly too far!
I had a friend in Colorado who bought the closed down John Deer dealership. A huge building, with a showroom up front. Six drive through bays in the rear, with roll up doors on each side! One bay had an overhead crane too! He bought a 40' camp trailer and parked it in one bay. Put his most often used metal working tools in the showroom that was heated and cooled. Painted the windows from 7' down to eliminate prying eyes. I just thought he had the perfect home/shop combo!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Living in a small space isn't that simple in practice. I lived a couple years off and on in a medium size Winnebago while building cabins to sell, and have lived in a 14x18 cabin for 10 or so years. Others may be better at it than me, but its harder to do than most imagine. ANY stuff brought in can turn into severe clutter so fast you cant believe it. If you aren't very careful you can lose valuable living space and its hard to get it back once lost unless you have a large storage space.

I think most people have way more space than truly needed or is practical, but the tiny places wouldn't be my choice for anything more than very short term.

Im aiming for 600-900 sq ft.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you are determined, you can live in a small space comfortably, or you can fill up a large space with things you don't need and still not live comfortably. It is up to what you want and are willing to put up with. Someday, I will be getting some land and a house. I am looking at around 1500 square feet of living space in the house, but I could live in much less.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

As a home designer and builder I see these as something of a fad and a novelty. They are most definitely impractical in many ways. A large 5th wheel is much more practical. However the attraction people have to these is undeniable and if it makes someone happy to own one then by all means. As long as it doesn't burn down and set my property on fire or become an eyesore detrimental to property values I will just chuckle and be on my way.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My wife watches some show about those little houses. I've worked very hard for many years to have my not so tiny house. I'm sure not going to give up comfort and space just to be trendy.

In fact, one of the things I'm mulling over for retirement is to build or buy a log house. And I'm not talking a one room "cabin". What we're doing now is trying to decide where. After that comes the what. When is really now as we're seriously searching for a the where.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'd go out of my mind in a cubby hole like that. Maybe for camping, but in that case I'd prefer a regular camper that's streamlined and better weather resistant.

I believe I made the right choice over 40 years ago. While the people around me were building 4,000 sq. feet houses and bigger, I built a simple 1400 sq.ft. all brick 3 bedroom rancher with an attached 2 car garage and full basement on 4 acres.

My real estate taxes are half of my neighbors. They work OT........I'm home on weekends and after 8 hours.

Some years after we had a 34x40 barn built.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I'd go out of my mind in a cubby hole like that. Maybe for camping, but in that case I'd prefer a regular camper that's streamlined and better weather resistant.

I believe I made the right choice over 40 years ago. While the people around me were building 4,000 sq. feet houses and bigger, I built a simple 1400 sq.ft. all brick 3 bedroom rancher with an attached 2 car garage and full basement on 4 acres.

My real estate taxes are half of my neighbors. They work OT........I'm home on weekends and after 8 hours.

Some years after we had a 34x40 barn built.-----6
I could live in a small corner of a huge shop with plenty of space for "chit", and toys....You did it right, Six.....I, too, have never wasted much on having a huge house, and going broke paying for it...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
You know, the more I think about it and the older I get, simplicity is the key to happiness. But......I got to have ground around me. That's what keeps other people at a distance and like you, I need my solitude and peaceful surroundings.

I drive Jeeps...which are easy to work on.....have one wife..(one too many? :D ), belong to one gunclub, one pro-gun organization. ...NRA......one "all the time gunshop".......one discussion board....but 6 million Winchesters and Colts.

What's all this got to do with Doc's original thread? :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

On January 2nd,1985 I left my job of 14 years and took a year to build my own house up in the North Georgia mountains.
I wound up with a 544 square foot house.16X16 was the main living area,12X12 was the kitchen and 12X12 was the second story bedroom.I had a bathroom both inside and an outhouse outside.I had a shower in the bathroom and a shower area outside. Try taking a shower outside when it is 12 degrees. It is a good experience.
It was a great place to live.I lived there almost five years .
I never felt cramped and had plenty of space. Then I met and married my wife and moved off for a year. A new job offer brought me back to that town and we lived in my place for six months till we found a house in town.We never felt cramped with two people living there.
You can do a lot of living in a well thought out, designed and built small house.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hard to believe, but 20+ years ago a shooting buddy built one of those for him & his wife to camp out of when away at shoots. After a few years it sort of deteriorated from all the road abuse it took. All he has is some good memories and a flatbed trailer!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Silent Sam
Levergunner

Post by Silent Sam »

My dad once told me... "We spend the first half of our lives collecting (stuff) and the second half getting rid of it." :wink: